News   Jul 08, 2024
 385     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 631     0 

VIA Rail

Worth noting here that the Pickering Airport proposal seems to now have the backing of Pickering's Council. Below is an article detailing it:
This airport is right on the CP Havelock Sub, as seen below. Could be a chance for VIA to offer an Air-Rail service along with HFR.

(Peterborough Airport thread located here)

pickering.jpg

Last edited:
This airport is right on the CP Havelock Sub, as seen below. Could be a chance for VIA to offer an Air-Rail service along with HFR.
I noticed that a while back in relationship to the announcement of the airport being 'back on'. If and when the airport becomes reality, UPX would be the provider of choice as the new eastern terminus. It would still be highly complementary to a VIA service passing by/through there.

Worth noting here that the Pickering Airport proposal seems to now have the backing of Pickering's Council. Below is an article detailing it:

Interesting, I don't think I've seen a map of Pickering Airport with Havelock spurs drawn in. Hopefully we build that in right from the get-go instead of a flawed UPX-style afterthought.

But man, looking at that image it's easy to forget how bloody large an airport actually is.

But man, looking at that image it's easy to forget how bloody large an airport actually is.
And that's with vast amounts of land hived off from the original holding, a good chunk now conservation land.

I honestly though the idea for a second airport was dead, and they were winding it all down. The announcement a few weeks back was a real surprise, albeit there's still a schism between the region, the city and local ratepayer groups on it, IIRC.

Here's some background, it's still a powderkeg:
About 11,700 results (0.48 seconds)
Search Results

In 'stunning' reversal, Pickering is asking for airport to be expedited
Toronto Star-Nov 14, 2016
The city of Pickering plans to ask the federal government on Monday to ... While the city has never endorsed plans for an airport, the region of ...

Furious Pickering residents accused the city's mayor of violating ...
CBC.ca-Nov 21, 2016
Pickering's city council made the surprise move to appoint a new councillor in Ward 3 ... 45 years later, will Pickering finally get an airport? ... Kevin Ashe, the regional councillor for Ward 1, said it's in Pickering's best interest to ...

Pickering asks feds for expedited decision on airport
durhamregion.com-Nov 15, 2016
PICKERING -- Michael Robertson spoke against the proposed Pickering airport during a public meeting at a packed Pickering City Hall on Nov. 14, 2016. ... But Ward 1 Regional Councillor Kevin Ashe noted “planning and ...
Pickering council appoints Shaheen Butt as ward 3 city councillor
durhamregion.com-Nov 22, 2016
PICKERING -- To the disappointment of ward 3 residents at City Hall Monday ... a byelection is the cost,” said ward 1 Regional Councillor Kevin Ashe. ... to an airport, spoke at the meeting, and indicated council didn't want a ...
Pickering council could ask federal government to expedite building ...
durhamregion.com-Nov 10, 2016
PICKERING -- People opposed to a Pickering airport are appalled that ... 14 at 7 p.m. where councillors will discuss amendments to the City of Pickering's ... is a reporter with Metroland Media Group's Durham Region Division.
Group opposes fast-tracking plan for airport in Pickering
CTV News-Nov 14, 2016
Pickering city council is set to debate fast-tracking the construction of a local ... Pickering and Durham region are growing and we have a very ...
Pickering appoints new councillor in controversial move, angering ...
CBC.ca-Nov 21, 2016
Furious Pickering residents accused the city's mayor of violating their ... where an airport could one day be built — instead of holding a byelection. ... Kevin Ashe, the regional councillor for Ward 1, said it's in Pickering's best ...
Is Ontario's anti-sprawl policy really that smart?
Toronto Star-Oct 29, 2016
“But in the span of development of cities and regions it's a relatively short ... runs dedicated bus lanes there and the Pickering Airport is built.
The GTA's accidental breadbasket: Pickering Airport Lands
durhamregion.com-Oct 24, 2016
The Pickering airport lands visible proximity to the dense city from such a ... this all becoming a food hub for the millions of people in the region.
Toronto's accidental breadbasket: Micallef
Toronto Star-Oct 22, 2016
The Pickering airport lands are rich farmland at the edge of the city that ... this all becoming a food hub for the millions of people in the region.
[...]
Google first page "pickering airport region city"

Last edited:
People are losing sight of the fact that commercial service here is still a while away. This airport is slated to be a general aviation airport replacing Buttonville and probably Markham and Oshawa.

Pickering airport would likely never be a major passenger point. Think private and freight with the occasional budget airline and charter flights to Caribbean destinations. Whatever is built there is likely going to be way smaller than that image above.

I actually think VIA HFR will do some damage to the business case for passenger ops at Pearson. At least from the East, HFR will be competitive.

Don't most people who fly direct take Porter now? The bulk of the remaining triangle passengers using Pearson are connecting. HFR could take a chunk of those too if Via allows for ticket resellers to integrate them into the trip.

Frankly, I'm not sure Air Canada would mind cancelling all TOM flights if they still got the same market-share for their international flights.

People are losing sight of the fact that commercial service here is still a while away. This airport is slated to be a general aviation airport replacing Buttonville and probably Markham and Oshawa.
If it replaces Buttonville Municiple Airport, will they close down the airport and sell the land, or keep it running.

I'm asking because I live in the area. I hope they rebuild the 404-16th Ave interchange to a proper Parclo, but that seems unlikely :(

If it replaces Buttonville Municiple Airport, will they close down the airport and sell the land, or keep it running.

I'm asking because I live in the area. I hope they rebuild the 404-16th Ave interchange to a proper Parclo, but that seems unlikely :(
The cause d'etre stated in most of the material I've read is as a "relief for Pearson". I've not heard the claim of consolidating local light aircraft traffic, but Buttonville, IIRC, is more valuable for development than continuing as an airport anyway.
http://www.citynews.ca/2010/10/28/buttonville-airport-land-sold-to-cadillac-fairview/

If the Pickering airport is ever built I would asume Burtonville will close but I would not plan on anything, it will take decades and I suspect it will never happen.

Back