News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 631     0 

VIA Rail

BLOG: CCPPP Keynote: Minister of Transport Marc Garneau
0 155 Infrastructure

by DCN News Services Nov 14, 2016

Federal minister of transport Marc Garneau was the opening keynote speaker for the Canadian Council for Public Private Partnerships conference held on November 14 in Toronto.
[...]
The transport plan is "only one part of our vision," Garneau said, with over $81 billion being promoted for use in transportation infrastructure as well as green infrastructure projects.

Garneau also said the government is studying a proposal from VIA Rail for "high frequency rail," which would increase frequency of trains between destinations. Implicit in this, Garneau said, is a dedicated line for Quebec-Ontario transport. It wouldn't be a high-speed rail system, but lack of interruption (currently CP shares rail tracks) will mean faster movement.

Nov 14, 2016
http://dailycommercialnews.com/Infr...-Minister-of-Transport-Marc-Garneau-1019848W/

You don't mention it if you aren't seriously considering it. Nice catch, and again, I'm sure this gets funded.
At this time of 'radio silence'...we're all straining to make sense of what may or may not happen. It might be months until we hear something concrete, but I'm reasonably optimistic, if for no other reason than the huge amount of capital looking for a reasonable investment. Emphasis on *reasonable*...because for all the hype and blather as to national identity and pride, and the opposite, as to how far behind railroading is in this nation in many respects, it must be remembered how *rational* the investment environment is in this nation. Canada is stable, well governed, full of untapped opportunity and an excellent place to invest.

We're going to have to look past the litany of complaints as to how "these guys are just out to make a buck"...well duh! Much of the money they're working with is ours to begin with!

I have many bones to pick with the present federal regime, albeit I think it's a huge improvement over the last one, and the provincial liberals are hardly worth the name, don't want to get started on that one, but on this file, on attracting investment to rebuild Cdn rail infrastructure (and other), Trudeau *appears* to be getting this right. We'll see.

Meantime, I think this info is being purposely dripped and dribbled. We didn't just catch D-S saying off the cuff remarks. That was very carefully stage managed. He didn't say enough to be on the hook, but enough to give a hint of what could/should be.

Ditto Morneau. The "CP" reference was awkward, but perhaps intentionally so. He's playing a game for more than just Joes like us.

If this plays out as best it can, I think *all routes suggested* will be on the table! But be prepared for the term "User pay basis" to be a greater part of the lingo than ever before. If Investors can tap the massive inefficiencies and turn them into profit, credit to them. The taxpayer *if this is done right* will also benefit.

Must run, nuff said for now.

Last edited:
At this time of 'radio silence'...we're all straining to make sense of what may or may not happen. It might be months until we hear something concrete, but I'm reasonably optimistic, if for no other reason than the incredible capital looking for a reasonable investment. Emphasis on *reasonable*...because for all the hype and blather as to national identity and pride, and the opposite, as to far behind railroading is in this nation in many respects, it must be remembered how *rational* investment environment is in this nation.

We're going to have to look past the litany of complaints as to how "these guys are just out to make a buck"...well duh! Much of the money they're working with is ours to begin with!

I have many bones to pick with the present federal regime, albeit I think it's a huge improvement over the last one, and the provincial liberals are hardly worth the name, don't want to get started on that one, but on this file, on attracting investment to rebuild Cdn rail infrastructure (and other), Trudeau *appears* to be getting this right. We'll see.

Meantime, I think this info is being purposely dripped and dribbled. We didn't just catch D-S saying off the cuff remarks. That was very carefully stage managed. He didn't say enough to be on the hook, but enough to give a hint of what could/should be.

Ditto Morneau. The "CP" reference was awkward, but perhaps intentionally so. He's playing a game for more than just Joes like us.

If this plays out as best it can, I think *all routes suggested* will be on the table! But be prepared for the term "User pay basis" to be a greater part of the lingo than ever before. If Investors can tap the massive inefficiencies and turn them into profit, credit to them. The taxpayer *if this is done right* will also benefit.

Must run, nuff said for now.

Since it seems like there will be a fair amount of capital flowing to infrastructure, here is an idea that just popped into my head. Would VIA Rail, if successful in the Toronto-Quebec City corridor, try to implement a form of High Frequency Rail between Calgary-Red Deer-Edmonton? VIA Rail (besides the Canadian) does not have much of a presence in Alberta and it could be a good investment for the feds who won a few seats in Calgary and Edmonton. I am not sure how the ridership would be, but it would create an important link between the cities. A fast Vancouver-Calgary train would be nice, but I don't think we will see that until 2100. Also I see a VIA HFR proposal between Toronto and Windsor happening wayyyyy before my ideas above.

Since it seems like there will be a fair amount of capital flowing to infrastructure, here is an idea that just popped into my head. Would VIA Rail, if successful in the Toronto-Quebec City corridor, try to implement a form of High Frequency Rail between Calgary-Red Deer-Edmonton? VIA Rail (besides the Canadian) does not have much of a presence in Alberta and it could be a good investment for the feds who won a few seats in Calgary and Edmonton. I am not sure how the ridership would be, but it would create an important link between the cities. A fast Vancouver-Calgary train would be nice, but I don't think we will see that until 2100. Also I see a VIA HFR proposal between Toronto and Windsor happening wayyyyy before my ideas above.
A train between Calgary and Edmonton seems like such a no brainer. But starting up a service where none exists is a complicated task. Probably a long term goal for Via, but I wouldn't expect anything to happen anytime soon. Does an abandoned or underused rail line existing between the two cities?

A daily service to Banff and Lake Louise would be a lot like one to Collingwood and also seems like a no brainer. But I'm a skier so maybe I'm biased.

They wouldn't be talking this much if they hadn't done substantial work on it.

My prediction is that they this will be one of the first infrastructure bank projects. And i think they're out shopping for private sector/outside capital (probably Caisse, Teachers, etc.) to jump on board with the infrastructure plan.

DS first said they could deliver by 2019. Now I see 2023 everywhere. Either they have hit technical snags (say like a route change), or they're waiting for the infrastructure bank to get up and running before financing kicks in and this is all preliminary work.

I just hope it's under way before the next election.

They wouldn't be talking this much if they hadn't done substantial work on it.
I agree. It's not that they *have* talked about it, it's that they *continue* to talk about it. Something is simmering on the stove, doubtless, albeit there's always the possibility that what's being touted to the public is to test for reaction, both with the public and investors.

What boggles me is the relatively small cost of this project (Approx $5B) compared to the Trillions in available capital. That money is looking to go somewhere, it's not working if it's sitting in a vault, euphemistically speaking.
DS first said they could deliver by 2019. Now I see 2023 everywhere. Either they have hit technical snags
I think that's due to the Caisse passing on VIA's overtures for their own project, which appears to have run into a lot of headwinds. At first it looked bold and dynamic, it now looks highly disruptive to all the present transit operators and plans in Montreal. Not too sure on the latest, there's been little press on it save for concerns.

In all fairness, Caisse might have come under the mmmmm...'coercion' of the Montreal civic persuasion. I reserve further comment on that until having details to post.

Last edited:
Calgary-Edmonton makes great sense - It would make greater sense with feeder route, but I doubt these would have as good economics. With Alberta's economy suffering, it's the perfect infrastructure stimulus project for the province right now. I'd argue for building it now, borrowing if need be, rather than waiting for an upturn in the economy when itmight be more "affordable"

I am suspicious of claims that these projects can be done in such short timeframes, however. The design takes time. Starting with insufficient engineering, and/or pushing construction to meet harsh timelines, is a recipe for failure. Projects need to be driven, yes - but not in a way that creates risk.

- Paul

HFR between Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal is justifiable with the present demand, albeit not by much, but does have enough inertia to bull ahead in some form or other. Edmonton/Calgary doesn't, and it has been studied: (Even Ontario beyond Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal corridor is questionable per HFR *unless*!!! the Missing Link comes to pass, so to speak. The Missing Link would change almost everything, and overwhelmingly for the better.)
Committee recommendations
1. The Government of Alberta should not invest in a high-speed rail transit system in the Edmonton-Calgary corridor at this time because the population of the corridor is not sufficient to support the profitable operation of such a system.

2. The Government of Alberta should include in its long-term transportation infrastructure strategic plan the expansion of light-rail transit and the development of regional transportation systems.

3. As part of the long-term transportation infrastructure strategic plan, the Government of Alberta should identify a greenfield transportation/utility corridor between Calgary and Edmonton to assist in future transportation infrastructure planning with capacity for a potential high-speed rail transit system.

4. The Government of Alberta should begin the process of acquiring land for a transportation/utility corridor right-of-way between Calgary and Edmonton, as budgets warrant, following public consultation with affected landowners, including aboriginal groups.

5. The Government of Alberta should investigate the development of a regulatory model to allow for private investors who can raise both the capital for high-speed infrastructure and procurement of land to be able to go forward to build this necessary infrastructure.

The full report is posted below. On mobile? Click here.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...monton-not-feasible-finds-committee-1.2652342

Allow me to posit a scenario: Feds are saying to Investors: "If we finance the Missing Link, just by our federal resources alone, with the radical change that would result, would you be interested in financing/underwriting/overseeing all the many new opportunities made available?"

Frankly, I see the Missing Link alone as great potential for investment funds to at least partially benefit from and for this nation, but if there's reluctance to take 'the first big step', the Feds can do it alone if Investment picks up the opportunities that result.

Posting these in full, haven't had time to digest them, just tripped across them:
POINT OF VIEW

Light at the end of the (train) tunnel?
Wednesday, November 16, 2016 9:32:01 EST AM
After nearly 30 years in the wilderness, Peterborough might have competing bidders to bring back a train linking the city to Toronto.

If so, which would be best for Peterborough and area?

The prospective operators are Via Rail and Metrolinx.

Until last week Metrolinx seemed the likeliest option. It's the organization put together by the provincial government to oversee public transit in the Greater Toronto area, including GO Transit.

GO began bus service to Peterborough several years ago with the understanding that a rail line could follow if ridership numbers grew.

Via Rail changed the landscape last week when president and CEO Yves Desjardins-Siciliano announced plans to have a Peterborough line running by 2020.

Via has linked development of the Peterborough line to a proposed multi-billion dollar rail corridor between Windsor and Quebec City that would cut travel time substantially and run trains more frequently.

So, which would be best for this area: a commuter service tied to GO Transit or a passenger line operated by Via?

That might be a non-issue. The provincial government is very much in favour of an upgraded Via link across Ontario and into the heart of Quebec. If Peterborough were included the province might happily drop any thought of GO train service here.

But if both plans stay on the books Via's would be better for Peterborough.

Point 1 in favour is that a Via line would run all the way to Union Station. Metrolinx has determined that its line would end at a new station at Yonge St. and St. Clair Ave. Passengers headed downtown would have to transfer to the TTC.

A Metrolinx study concluded that inconvenience would reduce ridership by 40 per cent.

Point 2: Via proposes running the Peterborough train through to Ottawa, where it could connect to Montreal. Metrolinx is likely interested only in a Toronto-Peterborough return commuter run.

Point 3: financing. Metrolinx estimated in 2010 that track upgrades and new stations and equipment would cost $541 million. The federal and provincial governments years ago budgeted $300 million to develop the line so there is a significant shortfall in available cash. A $25-million annual operating deficit was also forecast.

Via believes a faster, high-frequency network would generate profits and that private companies and large pension funds would invest the necessary capital in a public-private partnership (Via is a Crown corporation).

A Via line developed with private money that also connects Peterborough to Ottawa wins out over a publicly subsided commuter run to Toronto.

Of course that is dependent on the federal government giving Via's plan a green light. And Peterborough has been hearing for nearly a decade that a train is coming soon.

The whistle is still faint, but now there is a better option to hope for.
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2016/11/16/light-at-the-end-of-the-train-tunnel

Trade, innovation Canada’s transportation future: Garneau
0 32 Infrastructure

by Lindsey Cole Nov 17, 2016

The year 2030 will look vastly different when it comes to transportation systems in Canada, with clean, green and innovative advancements at the forefront, federal Minister of Transport Marc Garneau predicted at the Canadian Council for Public-Private Partnerships (CCPPP) conference in Toronto.
001_RBI-image-1019904.jpeg

Marc Garneau, Canada’s transport minister, delivered the opening keynote address at this year’s CCPPP conference. Garneau presented the federal government’s vision for its Transportation 2030 strategy which is focused on a green and innovative transportation future. - Photo: WARREN FREY
"This year's conference theme and its focus on the future is fitting," he explained, since the 24th annual conference is coined Innovating our Future.

"Transportation, innovation and infrastructure cannot exist in isolation. They are intertwined and interdependent. In order to realize the vision we have set forth we need to create successful P3s. We need to support innovation and invest in infrastructure that can support Canada's transportation system into the future."

Garneau envisioned a country where "there will be smart cars using smart roads and unmanned aerial vehicles in the skies."

He highlighted how the federal government, through its Transportation 2030 strategy, will work with the provinces on a "pan-Canadian" framework to reduce pollution by 30 per cent from 2005 levels by 2030. This means investing in smart grids, electricity transmission, renewable power and smart cities that will lead to cleaner transportation technology.

He said the government has already invested $62 million in electric car charging and low-emission fuelling stations.

"The transportation sector accounts for almost a quarter of all greenhouse gases in Canada and 80 per cent of these emissions come from cars and trucks, the two big elephants in the tent," he said.

"Canada's transportation system in 2030 will be increasingly electrified, supporting alternative fuels. We must focus on investing on the future of these sectors so that they are cleaner and more environmentally responsible."

When an audience question surfaced pertaining to tolls as a method to potentially pay for the infrastructure road upgrades in the future, Garneau stated it is a possibility.

"We certainly realize that if the P3 (public-private partnership) concept is going to work...it will only work if it's a good business case for the business sector," Garneau said. "We're open to that concept. It is something that will be examined."

Another key focus Garneau outlined during his address was on trade corridors and getting goods, services and people to global markets. He said the federal government is investing $10.1 billion in transportation infrastructure to help eliminate bottlenecks in order to build more "robust" trade corridors.

"We know that trade will be critical to the Canadian economy and that trade will have shifted significantly to Asia and other developing regions," he stated. "We must be able to get Canadian products, services and people to key markets. We will achieve this by creating advanced gateways and seamless logistics in intelligent infrastructure. That takes investment — investment that must be made today."

Mark Romoff, president and CEO of the CCPPP, said the focus on trade enabling infrastructure could provide more opportunities for P3 projects.

"All of a sudden you have other areas that have not historically been areas or sectors where the P3 model has been applied, but it fits it perfectly," he said.

"And so there are opportunities now, in terms of port development, whether it's out in British Columbia or other parts of the country, where I think you're going to find a pretty good mapping with the structure and methodology that the P3 brings because these are big infrastructure projects."

"The kinds of projects he was talking about are all large and complex and they'll appear in the next phase of the government's infrastructure strategy and plan, so I think there's encouraging news there for us," Romoff added.

Garneau mentioned there are several projects already underway in Canada that are improving the flow of trade, such as improvements to the port of Halifax, the Gordie Howe International Bridge project between Detroit, Mich. and Windsor, Ont. and the Champlain Bridge project in Montreal.

He also mentioned a proposal from Via Rail that the federal government is currently studying which would see more trains flowing along the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal corridor. That could only be possible with "a dedicated rail track," he said, adding the government set aside $3.3 million in the 2016 budget to study the project's feasibility, which would likely be built using a P3 model.

"It's an exciting proposal. Having its own dedicated line will allow it to go at higher speeds. We're looking at it to see if the business case is good. We just have to do our due diligence," he said.

Nov 17, 2016
http://dailycommercialnews.com/Infr...nadas-transportation-future-Garneau-1019903W/

I just hope it's under way before the next election.

Trudeau ought to be able to get a second term pretty easily unless something major happens between now and the election. Good to strong support everywhere but Alberta; and even in Alberta the Liberals are polling unusually well (still well behind the conservatives, but better than usual).

Last edited:
Trudeau ought to be able to get a second term pretty easily unless something major happens between now and the election. Good to strong support everywhere but Alberta; and even in Alberta the Liberals are polling unusually well (still well behind the conservatives, but better than usual).

That's now. Another recession is coming. Probably before the end of this term. I'd rather they get cracking and get past the point of return before risking a change of government.

Could be something, could be nothing. Check out this slide from Metrolinx's electrification consultations. It shows Metrolinx OCS work along Richmond Hill line until just south of Eastern Ave. The Richmond Hill isn't slated to be electrified, so is this being provisioned in as a connection to VIA's electrified dedicated tracks program?

cJJQiA8.png

https://www.metrolinxengage.com/sit...src_conceptual_electrification_4_nov_2016.pdf

Good catch. It's possible that the "property line" between a VIA line and USRC will be up around the bend.

Another scenario might be using that tail track area for layover. Don Yard is used to capacity and I have seen consists parked on the north side during the day. That ROW around the bend is actually three tracks wide - the CN used to have a service track there as well as its main line. The track diagrams in the RER Business Case document (pg 124ish of the appendix) shows a new track there with the notation "Extend Canal Track".

- Paul

Good catch. It's possible that the "property line" between a VIA line and USRC will be up around the bend.

Another scenario might be using that tail track area for layover. Don Yard is used to capacity and I have seen consists parked on the north side during the day. That ROW around the bend is actually three tracks wide - the CN used to have a service track there as well as its main line. The track diagrams in the RER Business Case document (pg 124ish of the appendix) shows a new track there with the notation "Extend Canal Track".

- Paul

GO/Metrolinx owns all of the tracks in question up there, so there really is no property line to speak of.

The electrification is being done as the tracks around the bend and up to the Bala and Belleville Subs, but only within the limits of the USRC, are currently used as storage tracks at various times of the day.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back