1.2K     0 

Vancouver: Transit ridership up 11% with high gas prices

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Globe

Link to article

As Vancouver gas prices soar, so does transit use
Average pump cost hits $1.27 a litre; city's Translink system sees 11-per-cent increase in ridership

LAURA DRAKE

With a report from Gloria Galloway

May 18, 2007

VANCOUVER -- Gas prices are up across the country, but no major city has been hit harder than Vancouver with an average pump price of $1.272 a litre for regular unleaded gasoline. It's been climbing steadily toward that record since February.

But as gas prices continue to rise, so does the number of people who use public transit.

From January to April, Vancouver's Translink system saw an 11-per-cent increase in ridership over the same period last year on its light-rail service, while the rest of the system saw a 3-per-cent rise.

At the same time, national public transit use is at an all-time high, according to the Canadian Urban Transit Association.

Gas prices are only one of the determining factors when it comes to choosing public transit, but changes in prices at the pumps have been reflected in ridership numbers in the past, Translink spokesman Drew Snider said. It goes to show that if environmental issues don't necessarily motivate people to be greener, the economy will.

"I think in some ways environment still takes a back seat to a lot of people," he sad "You think you can put up with smelly air and you can't really see the immediate impact of what you're doing, but you can see the gasoline prices."

Gas prices have certainly never been higher - and it doesn't look like they are going to go down any time soon, said Michael Ervin, president of M.J. Ervin & Associates Inc., a Calgary-based energy consultancy.

That's due in part to higher-than-usual levels of maintenance at refineries in North America, which have caused an unprecedented seasonal production decline.

Though that decline is ending, Mr. Ervin said, prices should remain about the same as demand increases with the arrival of summer.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper was asked about the rising costs of gasoline at a press conference yesterday in Waterloo, Ont. (His Conservatives promised, during the 2004 election, to cut 0.7 cents from the gas tax.)

"We became convinced that, quite frankly there was a limited amount we could do with helping consumers specifically with gas prices," Mr. Harper said, saying the GST cut was an alternative tax relief measure put forward by the government.

Although high gas prices are constantly bemoaned by car owners, some people are looking on the bright - or green - side of the trend.

"We believe that we do need to pay higher gas prices that really reflect the full cost of using fossil fuels. What we need is a gas tax, so that the revenues are captured by the government, who can then turn that money around to build the things we need to use less gas," said Ann Rowan, director of the David Suzuki Foundation's sustainability program.

However, Simon Fraser University environmental economist Mark Jaccard said economic reasons to take transit - be it tax credits for bus passes or high gas prices - don't necessarily lead to less cars or less emissions.

"People love cars. Think of a car as a personal mobility device, or a personal status-enhancing device," Prof. Jaccard said yesterday.

Accordingly, Prof. Jaccard said, high gas prices are not a good way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, nor are they an effective way to get cars off the road. The only way to reduce emissions, he said, is through carbon taxes, which place stiff charges on dumping pollutants into the atmosphere.

THE BUMP AT THE PUMP

The price for regular gas in Vancouver is higher than in any other major city in Canada.

Vancouver vs. Canada average, Jan.1, 2006 to May 15, 2007

Vancouver: 127.2¢

Canada: 113¢

RETAIL FUEL PRICES

CITY AVERAGES, MAY 15, 2007
Whitehorse 116.7¢
Victoria 125.9¢
Vancouver 127.2¢
Yellowknife 123.2¢
Edmonton 108.9¢
Regina 117.9¢
Winnipeg 112.8¢
Toronto 106.5¢
Ottawa 107.7¢
Quebec City 107.7¢
Fredericton 107.7¢
Charlottetown 115.8¢
Halifax 114.6¢
St. John's 119.5¢

PUBLIC TRANSIT RIDERSHIP

TOTAL VANCOUVER PUBLIC TRANSIT TRIPS*, 2006

Q1: 69.4-M

Q2: 71.4-M

Q3: 69.1-M

Q4: 73.3-M

*Includes bus, Skytrain, Seabus and West Coast Express

SOURCES: NATURAL RESOURCES CANADA, TRANSLINK

Vancouver transit...

I find this one interesting. I've been in Vancouver for almost 8 months, having moved from Toronto.

There are still a lot of cars on the road from what I see. Many people who work downtown, and don't live downtown, seem to drive downtown. This is partly due to cheap parking and crappy transit.

Transit in Vancouver is inferior compared to Toronto. I'm not sure why, but the Skytrain system here seems to be full of creeps and weirdos. Maybe it's the 'honour system' of payment. Toronto's subways feel far more mainstream and sophisticated. I really miss Toronto's litle slow streetcars...I support dedicated lanes. And they're so cute ;).

Downtown Vancouver is a great place to live...I live in a condo tower downtown. Unfortunately the cost to live here is prohibitive for most families with children. Well ok to anyone earning under $75,000/year. And the transit into the central core leaves something to be desired.

I'm considering moving back to Toronto some day, even though its downtown neighbourhoods aren't quite as 'cute' as Vancouver's master-planned neighbourhoods (I'm in the Yaletown area).

Vancouver Transit...

It's pleasing to see the correlation between higher gasoline prices and increased transit use. I just wish that there's a way to standardize profit margins for suppliers to avoid gouging. I would rather see higher gas tax rates that generate revenue that can be transfered back to municipalities than astronomical profits for petroleum suppliers.

Transit in Vancouver is inferior compared to Toronto. I'm not sure why, but the Skytrain system here seems to be full of creeps and weirdos. Maybe it's the 'honour system' of payment.

You must be thinking of Translink's buses, the subject of a very controversal Chevy campaign.

creeps-thumb.jpg

Skytrain misses the west side, serving more of Vancouver's less wealthy east end, following the old BC Hydro Interurban to New Westminster. That was part of the problem. But I liked the fare integration, the frequency of the SkyTrain, and I'm a fan of trolley buses, but they make it slow getting from say UBC to downtown.

The new Skytrain line from downtown to Richmond and the airport should improve Vancouver transit significantly when it opens in 2009. That line will bring rapid transit only a little closer to UBC though - an extension of the Millennium line westward is what is needed next.

The new Skytrain line from downtown to Richmond and the airport should improve Vancouver transit significantly when it opens in 2009. That line will bring rapid transit only a little closer to UBC though - an extension of the Millennium line westward is what is needed next.

The Millennium Line did get the one station extension to Van Comm College, but it should go to at least Granville, if not Arbutus or all the way to UBC (but the area surrounding it is parks and low density).

The RAV Line (now called the Canada Line) is actually not Bombardier's SkyTrain, but a different propriatary mini-subway technology, but it will be Canada's first passenger rail link to a major airport.

Creeps and weirdos

I almost crapped when I saw that picture...that was exactly my quote! The Skytrains are pretty bad here in Vancouver.

I took a little walk around Vancouver's Downtown Eastside at lunch... I do a walk every day. Wow, it's a very sad area. At the same time, very diverse and somewhat entertaining. I'm surprised at the development going on in that area.

Gas prices have caused my boyfriend and I to walk more... He leaves his car in the burbs and Skytrain's it downtown to visit. I live downtownish (Beach Crescent ;) ) so I just walk everywhere anyways.

I would be very pleased to see Toronto continue to develop a walkable, livable downtown. One thing I notice though...Vancouver'd downtown residential areas are much more 'family friendly'. I'm referring to playgrounds and 3 bedroom apartments/units, and more street trees... I think Toronto could easily do the same thing, if the incentive was there for developers.

Of course when I lived in Toronto, I enjoyed my yuppy childless neighbourhood ;)

It's funny how they inflate the ridership numbers. The numbers in the article are actually unlinked trips instead of linked trips. Very sneaky.

It's funny how they inflate the ridership numbers. The numbers in the article are actually unlinked trips instead of linked trips. Very sneaky.

I think Translink usually quotes unlinked trips - probably beacuse each mode of transportation - Skytrain, bus, Seabus, HandDart - is operated by a separate operating subsidiary corporation which would be required to keep independent figures.

I suspect TTC ridership numbers are all too frequently consisting of a licked finger held in the air multiplied by whatever number suits the subsidy City Council has given them. My TTC use has rocketed (heh) since the Tory tax credit made it worthwhile to buy a metropass, and because it's transferable it gets work 52 weeks of the year because I loan it when I go on hols.

Those were the two best changes to TTC fares in living memory. Nicely dovetailed too. Worth an UrbanTorontoAwardâ„¢.

The Tory tax credit is pretty useless to people with low incomes and students, groups which make up a decent proportion of the ridership, since you can't write it off if you don't make enough.

True, but it's helping get some of the polluting classes out of their cars. I am usually a mortal enemy of the Regressive Conservatives, but I have to hand it to them on this one - where Paul Martin and Jean Chretien refused to extend this carrot to get people out of their cars because it wouldn't help everyone, well, they didn't help anyone.

The best thing for fares lately has been the near-universal adaptation of time-expired transfers in by the larger transit agencies in Ontario, with only the TTC and a number of smaller systems holding out. This is something that MT, of all agencies, pioneered in this part of Ontario and caught on quicky.

Note that I don't mention GO. This is because it is not a transit agency. It is a parking authority.

Oh come now, interchange. The Liberals introduced billions of dollars in gas tax transfers directly to transportation projects. That's a lot better than a measly tax credit at the end of the year to encourage ridership on already-overcrowded systems, and even then only for the relatively well-off. Much better to spend that money on improving service and attracting new riders that way.

Back