News   Apr 22, 2024
 298     0 

Using The New Urban Toronto Forum

Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
The new forum software is made by XenForo. It is vastly superior to the old software. It is a little different so here's a quick explanation of how it works. We haven't figured out all the cool new things but will add them here over time.

Quick Navigation Menu
An important place to start. This is where your account info is located. You can change avatars, signatures, your profile and so forth. It is also the area where you can track all alerts you receive from threads that you are watching and where you can logout. You can find this area by clicking "Your Account" at the top and bottom of each forum page (far right side of the breadcrumb).

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at Tuesday Oct 31, 2017 10.56.03 AM.png

Watching Threads
Watching threads has changed from the old way. You now only get an email for the first time someone replies and not for every single reply. If you visit the thread after that (so it’s “read”), then you'll get an e-mail again for the next reply that happens. So under Watched Threads you’re not going to get any e-mails for anything with a “new" indicator next to it. This is different to how the old sytem did it (daily e-mails). If you used to get alerts and now are not getting any go and read the threads that you are watching and read them. That should kick-start the system to start sending them again.

How to Upload Photos, Videos And Files
Click here.

Conversations
The old system used "PM" or personal messages that you could send to members directly. The new system is called "Conversations". Click on a member's name and then click "Start A Conversation". You will now be able to talk to them. The cool thing is you can have "conversations" with multiple people at the same time.

Tagging Other Members
When you post something you can tag another member prompting them to get a Alert. Just like this @Edward Skira

Quoting/Replying
Cool new feature. Highlight a certain part of text and you'll be able to easily "reply" to someone's post.

If you don't have an avatar your profile image with be a question mark, the symbol for male or the symbol for female. The generic image displayed depends on whether you picked a gender for yourself in "Your Account". If you didn't pick a gender you get the question mark.

You can now like a person's post. No need to do +1 any longer.

In the area below your avatar there's a location listed (only shows if you've included a location in "Your Account"). Click on the person's location and a google map of the location will be launched. Works pretty good though if your location is "by the Humber" you might actually be directed to the Humber River in the UK.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-26 at Friday Jun 26, 2015 1.49.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-26 at Friday Jun 26, 2015 1.49.21 PM.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 2,431
  • Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at Tuesday Oct 31, 2017 10.56.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at Tuesday Oct 31, 2017 10.56.03 AM.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,217
Last edited:
Whyweprotest.net recently switched to xenforo in 2013, and it's been excellent ever since. Just allot of bugs to fix, however. I'm glad this forum doesn't use a mismatched security certificate (if viewed with https, if it's available), or I wouldn't be able to login or visit the site on older devices.

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but for some reason I cannot start my own threads, but I can reply to and post in other people's threads. There is message too at the bottom of the forum saying
(You have insufficient privileges to post here.)

Do I have to wait a certain amount of time?
Thanks!

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but for some reason I cannot start my own threads, but I can reply to and post in other people's threads. There is message too at the bottom of the forum saying
(You have insufficient privileges to post here.)

Do I have to wait a certain amount of time?
Thanks!

You need 20 posts to start a new thread.

Why can't you reduce to 10 posts before we can start our own threads?

We had lots of problems with spam in the past so we made it 20 to make sure you really want to be here.

I'm glad I searched Google and came across this thread because for the longest time, I couldn't find out why I was unable to create a thread.

As a suggestion from a new forum member, I recommend that this notice is made more visible to new users. For example, on other forums that I've used in the past, some of them have a "Create Thread" button, but once you click it, it brings up a notice notifying you of lack of post count. Another forum required verification through a forum admin or moderator to ensure that you weren't a spam bot.

I'm glad I searched Google and came across this thread because for the longest time, I couldn't find out why I was unable to create a thread.

As a suggestion from a new forum member, I recommend that this notice is made more visible to new users. For example, on other forums that I've used in the past, some of them have a "Create Thread" button, but once you click it, it brings up a notice notifying you of lack of post count. Another forum required verification through a forum admin or moderator to ensure that you weren't a spam bot.

Thanks for the advice.

Back