News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 619     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

UrbanToronto's gay demographic?

It's the same in my line of work. I am a translator and practically all the translators I know are gays or lesbians. It may not be relevant, but it is interesting.

That is even more puzzling. I don't see the connection there at all.

Another strange demographic phenomena is that so many workers at Shoppers Drug Mart seem to be filipino women -- at least in Toronto.

Most of the doctors I've ever gone to have medical degrees. It's the darndest thing.

WHy do you keep coming back to a thread that you seem to have no interest in? If you don't like it, don't read it. There's only thousands of other threads here.

People who would participate in an urban discussion forum are generally people who appreciate urban settings and, if they are old and lucky enough, have made the move downtown.

Now let's look at downtown demographics. In Toronto, I would expect that maybe 25% of the male population who lives downtown is gay. Of the remaining 75%, many might be older and less tech savvy and don't participate in online discussions, many might have families of small children which eat up their time, and many come from immigrant communities where their confidence in English might lead them to stay away from discussing topics in writing.

In the US, the percentage of inner city educated males with computer access that are gay might be even higher. In a typical US inner city, I would estimate that 75% of men are black or latino and have a much lower access rate to computers; of the 25% who are left, I would not be surprised if, in some cities, nearly half, or 10% of the male total, are gay. Thus, I think you can see, if not conclusively, why gay men form a large percentage of the posters on urban discussion forums.

For me, the bigger question is why women don't participate in these kinds of fora.

People who would participate in an urban discussion forum are generally people who appreciate urban settings and, if they are old and lucky enough, have made the move downtown.

Now let's look at downtown demographics. In Toronto, I would expect that maybe 25% of the male population who lives downtown is gay. Of the remaining 75%, many might be older and less tech savvy and don't participate in online discussions, many might have families of small children which eat up their time, and many come from immigrant communities where their confidence in English might lead them to stay away from discussing topics in writing.

In the US, the percentage of inner city educated males with computer access that are gay might be even higher. In a typical US inner city, I would estimate that 75% of men are black or latino and have a much lower access rate to computers; of the 25% who are left, I would not be surprised if, in some cities, nearly half, or 10% of the male total, are gay. Thus, I think you can see, if not conclusively, why gay men form a large percentage of the posters on urban discussion forums.

For me, the bigger question is why women don't participate in these kinds of fora.

Very insightful and logical explanation. Thanks Hipster!

Regarding women, I think the lack of a female demographic here can be attributed to the theme of UT. I tried talking to the last few exes about architecture, planning, construction and transportation and the topic would change quickly. :D

Core members are not 75% gay but they are certainly more representative at UT than in society in general. Hipster Duck made some good points. Another point is who has more time on their hands. When I first joined I posted a lot more than I do now. I would spend full weekends taking shots of construction projects and then would spend hours putting them up here. Then I had two kids. Bye bye weekends and bye bye spending way too much time on the site. I run the forum so I still spend significant time here but I would be spending more without the little ones. Most gays and lesbians do not have children and thus have more time to "do" urban things and thus more time to spend on hobbies like UT.

As for the lack of woman this goes back to the fact that this forum was originally started as a "Projects and Construction" forum. How often do you see woman staring into a construction pit? Yes I'm generalizing but the fact is men are way more likely to like this kind of thing. My wife is into architecture and design but could care less looking at workers pouring cement. Me I could spend hours. As we develop the site further I think you'll start to see this even out somewhat.

I think there is also some evidence of gay men as early adopters of the Internet as a mean of communication and "community development" as well.

AoD

I have occasionally wondered whether the absence of pippypoos and doodads - which strike me as the essence of the sort of pretense that closetry hides behind in the gay world - as adornment on most of the buildings designed by our better local architects is responsible for so many gay men coming out on Urban Toronto. I just bet there's a direct correalation between being a closet queen and liking buildings all puffed up with faux fronts ... and their absence in our design culture encouraging openness.

Oh I know some women that post on message boards about religion, dating, political, fashion and environmental issues.

How many girls did you know as a kid that played with Tonka construction toys?

What I also wonder: what's the most common astrological sign on UT and yes, I wonder how many lefties are out there?

Aries, Rightie.

I studied translation. None of my classmates were gay that I knew of. Most of them are in long-term heterosexual relationships now.

I recall a poll on skyscrapercity.com and a disproportionate number of members there are gay males as well.

Well, I'd have to say that any "gay male ghettoness" gets a little insular/obnoxious when even the past likes of miketoronto and the present likes of Fresh Start are part of said demographic--it all smells a little too much like the old Shakespearean-play scenario of all parts, even female ones, being played by males...

I've been a member since pretty much the beginning. I've met several members and I would say that with the core members (those most active), the ratio is 3:1 gay:straight.

Many threads eventually get into a discussion from a gay perspective which was proven when I wanted to see if this had been discussed before. I searched "gay" and hundreds of threads came up.

It's a curious phenomena so I decided to get the opinion of members. Discuss away...

I kinda felt that there wre more guys, but I didn't know there were more gays. How interesting.

Can we have a poll? With options like "male, straight", "male gay", "female, straight", "female, gay"... ? It would be interesting, I think.

At any rate, this is my explanation...
InadditiontotheFeminineMystique.jpg

Back