News   Jun 06, 2024
 460     0 
News   Jun 06, 2024
 437     0 

UrbanToronto's gay demographic?

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'll do my best to not sound insensitive because that's far from my intention. I'm genuinely curious about why Urban Toronto seems to be comprised of mostly gay men.

There aren't a lot of females active on UT and gay men appear to represent 75% or more of core members.

Why do you think that is?

Straight male here, not that it matters.

How can you tell that most of the members are gay? Never really given this much thought.

I've been a member since pretty much the beginning. I've met several members and I would say that with the core members (those most active), the ratio is 3:1 gay:straight.

Many threads eventually get into a discussion from a gay perspective which was proven when I wanted to see if this had been discussed before. I searched "gay" and hundreds of threads came up.

It's a curious phenomena so I decided to get the opinion of members. Discuss away...

I don't think that's relevant. My perception is that the gay:straight ratio is disproportionate to what you'd find in the real world. There's certainly a reason and I think it would interesting to discuss why.

Or what about whether members prefer Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins as the lead singer of Genesis? I'm in the camp of the former.

I've always thought this was interesting too. I wonder if the demographics are similar on other urbanist/architectural/planning forums centred on other cities or if this is something unique to Toronto discussion?

GraphicMatt, that's why I asked. I don't see this phenomena on other urban forums that I visit. It seems to be Toronto specific and even more UrbanToronto specific. I wonder why.

Maybe it's part of the Dink syndrome--dink's are more likely to be attracted to the condo lifestyle, and some dinks are gay couples? Or maybe this demographic is more likely to be attracted to the urban toronto lifestyle? Or perhaps they are attracted to tall buildings/design etc? Come to think of it, I can't think of any straight male interior designers. :p

Or maybe, guys just love architecture/construction/planning/design more than girls, and being an urban-focused site, a larger proportion of these men happen to be from that demographic?

Last edited:
I just think most women either don't know about this site and/or just can't be bothered with contributing to messageboards of this ilk? I don't know a single woman who posts on messageboards but know of a whole bunch of men that do.

Oh I know some women that post on message boards about religion, dating, political, fashion and environmental issues.

How many girls did you know as a kid that played with Tonka construction toys?

What I also wonder: what's the most common astrological sign on UT and yes, I wonder how many lefties are out there?

Last edited:
I don't know a single woman who posts on messageboards but know of a whole bunch of men that do.

and they say men never stop to ask for directions! ;)

Maybe it's part of the Dink syndrome--dink's are more likely to be attracted to the condo lifestyle, and some dinks are gay couples? Or maybe this demographic is more likely to be attracted to the urban toronto lifestyle? Or perhaps they are attracted to tall buildings/design etc? Come to think of it, I can't think of any straight male interior designers. :p

Or maybe, guys just love architecture/construction/planning/design more than girls, and being an urban-focused site, a larger proportion of these men happen to be from that demographic?

I think you may have nailed it.

...Though I find a lot of women and straight guys on other architecture forums.

Straight male here, not that it matters.

How can you tell that most of the members are gay? Never really given this much thought.

JayBee: I will second you here-I have not gave much any thought to this here at UT but over time I have noticed a gay-friendly overtone to this website-nothing wrong with that.
I have also noticed the lack of female members here and at other web sites I post at on transport topics - it does not seem to interest them much.
LI MIKE

Back