News   Jul 09, 2024
 545     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 549     0 

Updates to PATH

I think we can all agree the current PATH map is dysfunctional. I decided to create a redesign for the PATH map. Hopefully we'll see something more like this after this whole process:

http://i.imgur.com/WwVc7.jpg

Last edited:
I think we can all agree the current PATH map is dysfunctional. I decided to create a redesign for the PATH map. Hopefully we'll see something more like this after this whole process:

I hope you send your map to the planners; it's quite useful as a schematic and good for planning a trip but what one really needs INSIDE the PATH are better (any) directional signs and (for people like me who prefer the real streets) some idea of which streets we are under.

I think we can all agree the current PATH map is dysfunctional.
Yikes it's not that bad! At least it doesn't have all the connections coming from the centre of the buildings, and shows approximate paths within the buildings, unlike yours.

Yikes it's not that bad! At least it doesn't have all the connections coming from the centre of the buildings, and shows approximate paths within the buildings, unlike yours.

One of my aims was simplification. Having the PATH depicted realistically only adds to the confusion.

I think that complexes like the TD Centre should have insert maps, like Toronto would on an Ontario road map.

One of my aims was simplification. Having the PATH depicted realistically only adds to the confusion
Surely, not having the PATH depicted realistically would only add to the confusion! Unless one has a poor sense of direction, it's not difficult to follow the maps themselves. It's the lack of signage (especially relating to exits and entrance, indoor and outdoor) that seems the biggest issue.

Though the signage is certainly far better than it used to be, when there was only whatever individual property owner's had put up.

I hope not, the gradient and text are really ugly. Get rid of the gradient and change the typeface to something sans-serif, and please use uniform font sizes.

I hope not, the gradient and text are really ugly. Get rid of the gradient and change the typeface to something sans-serif, and please use uniform font sizes.

I don't understand how you find something like a banal gradient so ugly. I used a sans-serif typeface. Nevertheless, it is a humanist sans-serif, so I can see how you might get confused. Besides, Optima is use prevalently throughout the city at everything from pools to offices.

Surely, not having the PATH depicted realistically would only add to the confusion! Unless one has a poor sense of direction, it's not difficult to follow the maps themselves. It's the lack of signage (especially relating to exits and entrance, indoor and outdoor) that seems the biggest issue.

Though the signage is certainly far better than it used to be, when there was only whatever individual property owner's had put up.

The maps are fine to plot out a trip but unfortunately some of those posted (look at the one in Metro Hall) are actually upside-down with north to the bottom. The signage ihnside MAY be better than it used to be but it is still not clear.

The maps are fine to plot out a trip but unfortunately some of those posted (look at the one in Metro Hall) are actually upside-down with north to the bottom.
Upside down? Good grief!

The signage ihnside MAY be better than it used to be but it is still not clear.
Oh, don't get me wrong. The signage is very poor. But at least it's a pass. I'd give it a D+ now instead of the F it used to be.

See: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/tp_pathmp.htm

The community-building role of the PATH network has become increasingly important, though somewhat overlooked, as the population of the Downtown has expanded and a growing number of residents and families use the system as part of their daily lives. A Master Plan Study will look at improving the operation of the PATH system and provide guidance for its future development and growth. The study is anticipated to be completed by December 2011.

On Tuesday November 1st is the second Drop-In event to give people a chance to review draft final material, meet with the project team, and provide feedback. The meeting details are:

Tuesday November 1, 2011
4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Metro Hall Rotunda (ground floor)
55 John Street, (Jonh and King Streets)

More details on link above.

I say PATH is one of the most merciful, and nice things in Toronto, and it should cover a larger area of downtown.
Although Toronto is supposed to be one of the warmest cities in Canada, many visitors and immigrants from most part of the World find here super cold during winter time.

The thing happened to me was the underground path was there but always ended soon. About two years ago I was trying to get to University of Toronto from the Financial District; As you can imagine, the PATH was over in no time, and I had to walk under (feels like) -20 C for about 20 min. I thought it doesn't worth to pay $3 just for 2 subway stops, but it turned out that I was wrong. There was a friend of mine from Shanghai who had never even seen snow before he came to Canada about a year ago.- I'm sure it was a very awful experience for him.

It will be great if the City can build even a single underground walkway to places like MARS or Yonge & College. I think Toronto is a paradise during summer time, but doesn't have to be the worst place to stay on the planet during winter. You don't need to envy the "1%" who can afford to escape the country to places like Florida every winter, where you are can still be a pleasant place to stay and even walk around to enjoy the culture.

Last edited:
Vancouver is much warmer than Toronto, especially in the winter.

And the PATH pretty much ends at Dundas (Queen in the west end). I agree it definitely should be extended to College Park at least, then eventually up to Bloor? It would be very difficult to extend the path North in the west end, because they can't really have it connect to the hospitals, can it? Maybe MARS but it would be very unrealistic to go that far without any building connections. Maybe if it is extended to College Park it can move west from there, instead of North from Queen on the west side. That would be very confusing for visitors, though. It's already enough of a maze.

Back