News   Jul 09, 2024
 674     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 588     0 

Updates to PATH

farinelli.jpg

V of E would not approve of this thread...

I had an actual question about PATH - wouldn't Sheraton like a more direct way to a subway station? I'm sure they can fit a little walkway down there if they'd benefit at all, but I gues there's no good reason for them to, especially if they'd have to pay for it. The city should push for any and all new PATH connections if only for the streetcar relief they provide.

I doubt many Sheraton customers arrive via subway...

Not so much for those using the hotel, but for a boost in foot traffic through the food court, etc. If Sheraton wanted a connection, who would pay for it?

A tip jar for contributions from food court vendors?

The food court is already connected to the Path, unless there are hungry hordes hiding in Osgoode Station.

When B/A opens up, who knows how much of that traffic will be diverted...could be like a highway bypass around a pokey little main street. People might get off the subway at Osgoode and enter PATH from there, passing by Manchu Wok, etc.

I don't understand your point. Why would people walk all the way around to Osgoode and then walk back instead of getting off at Queen or King?

sorry if this is sort of off topic, but I think instead of having so many underground corridors they should build +15 or skywalk type sytems (which would make it almost financially feasible for Eglinton centre, North York centre, etc. Remember, cincinnati (where I live) has a skywalk thing yet the tallest building doesn't even rival North York's

I think scarberian's point was that currently many people pass through Sheraton because the only way to get from Adelaide to Richmond is via the Richmond-Adelaide Centre, which connects to the Sheraton on the North side. Once B/A is built there will be an additional North/South route which will let people bypass Sheraton altogether. Since the completion of B/A is likely to take a chunk out of Sheraton's foot traffic it might make sense for them to connect to the Four Seasons (and Osgoode), since such a connection would put them back onto an arterial spine of PATH.

A similar reasoning exists for the Hilton. They're currently a dead end on PATH. By connecting to Four Seasons (and Osgoode) they could potentially generate much more pedestrian traffic through their lower level.

"Once B/A is built there will be an additional North/South route which will let people bypass Sheraton altogether."

Only if the B/A route is shorter/easier, though, for people going from the MINT towers area to Eaton Centre (and it seems for 99% of people, that's the only reason they pass through the Sheraton food court at all).

edit re: North York Centre & skywalks - there's already a fledgling underground PATH system in place, with underground connections from the three subway stations and, most notably, the tunnel from Sheppard Centre to Madison Centre under Yonge Street. With all the condos that have gone up, howver, I doubt there's much more that will be done.

Forget about a PATH connection - as of yesterday, the link to the Four Seasons Centre from the subway station still hasn't opened. All they have to do is take down a couple of bits of board and let us through. And tomorrow night it opens.

I think instead of having so many underground corridors they should build +15 or skywalk type sytems

PATH is superior to +15-type systems because every major building is built with an underground food/retail concourse - space which is designed to be a thoroughfare. Few buildings put similar public space at the +15 level. Calgary, the +15 leader in Canada, had problems for years because the network was meant to provide extensive access throughout the day but sections would be blocked when retail closed for the evening, and residential sections didn't want the public passing through their space.

Looking at the PATH map at the City of Toronto website I see that they already make mention of Maple Leaf Square as an addition, and show a potential link to the Four Seasons Centre from two directions. However, Metropolis isn't there, nor is the new Ryerson building, nor the Telus building.

I don't know when you last looked at the map, but I see "future" connections at Metropolis, Bay-Adelaide, 25 York Street, Ritz Carlton, Maple Leaf Square and the Four Seasons Centre (and inexplicably at the GO Bus station, which already exists).

Further, there appears to be an existing connection at Ryerson School of Business.

Back