News   Jul 09, 2024
 674     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 589     0 

Updates to PATH

Vancouver is much warmer than Toronto, especially in the winter.

And the PATH pretty much ends at Dundas (Queen in the west end). I agree it definitely should be extended to College Park at least, then eventually up to Bloor? It would be very difficult to extend the path North in the west end, because they can't really have it connect to the hospitals, can it? Maybe MARS but it would be very unrealistic to go that far without any building connections. Maybe if it is extended to College Park it can move west from there, instead of North from Queen on the west side. That would be very confusing for visitors, though. It's already enough of a maze.

I think the most likely course for extending to the hospital area is going to be when the Coach Terminal is redeveloped via The Atrium and possibly from the Eaton Centre, Canadian Tire wing area. I know this is inconvenient for access from the west side, but it is a far more likely routing to actually happen. It would be great if the new Sick Kids Research Centre could accommodate a PATH link as it would make it much easier to get to the actual hospitals.

Last edited:
I think the most likely course for extending to the hospital area is going to be when the Coach Terminal is redeveloped via The Atrium and possibly from the Eaton Centre, Canadian Tire wing area. I know this is inconvenient for access from the west side, but it is a far more likely routing to actually happen. It would be great if the new Sick Kids Research Centre could accommodate a PATH link as it would make it much easier to get to the actual hospitals.

Even if the Coach Terminal *weren't* (momentarily) redeveloped, extension is possible via whatever happens on the parking lot to the north--after all, the Terminal itself is PATH-connected through a stub to Atrium On Bay, just shoot a little something to the north from there...

k10ery:

I thought the maps in the report are not particularly well done - and having them low-res. on a PDF just makes it that much worse.

AoD

Parts of the maps are disgraceful. The subway stations in the northern part of downtown are off by hundreds of feet in some cases. How do you plan the underground city if you don't know where the subway is?

And the PATH pretty much ends at Dundas (Queen in the west end). I agree it definitely should be extended to College Park at least, then eventually up to Bloor? It would be very difficult to extend the path North in the west end, because they can't really have it connect to the hospitals, can it? Maybe MARS but it would be very unrealistic to go that far without any building connections. Maybe if it is extended to College Park it can move west from there, instead of North from Queen on the west side. That would be very confusing for visitors, though. It's already enough of a maze.

Isn't PATH supposed to be extended to Aura?

Even if the Coach Terminal *weren't* (momentarily) redeveloped, extension is possible via whatever happens on the parking lot to the north--after all, the Terminal itself is PATH-connected through a stub to Atrium On Bay, just shoot a little something to the north from there...

I forgot there was a connection to the terminal itself. I can't remember exactly where it winds up on The Atirum side though. I recall it was not in an obvious place and I think it actually doesn't even go to the inside of The Atrium, does it?

I forgot there was a connection to the terminal itself. I can't remember exactly where it winds up on The Atirum side though. I recall it was not in an obvious place and I think it actually doesn't even go to the inside of The Atrium, does it?

You have to go outside through the food court and then under bay to get into the terminal.

Globe and Mail: Toronto mulls plan to expand world's longest underground shopping complex

As more people start living and working south of the traditional financial district, the PATH will have to be able to get them there, said Michel Trocmé, a partner in Urban Strategies Inc. He helped develop the draft plan, expected to be voted on by city council in 2012 and which will also influence the city’s official plan review in the fall.
Extending down to the waterfront is essential for the PATH’s growth in Toronto, according to Mr. Trocmé.

But it may not be through those typical underground tunnels.

“Continuing with an underground system is just not really that viable,†Mr. Trocmé said, noting that topography drops close to Lake Ontario. As well, the Gardiner Expressway limits aboveground tunnels so developers would need to find a way to go over or under it. The answer, Mr. Trocmé said, is at least one major pedestrian bridge crossing over Lakeshore Boulevard but under the Gardiner.

“It’s really tough because there are all these on and off ramps but there’s a few places where you could actually do that,†he said.

The draft plan suggests a southern extension from the Air Canada Centre, connecting by bridge close to Harbour and York streets. Andrew McAllan, Oxford Properties managing director of real estate management, said his company plans to have that bridge joined from the ACC to a new office complex in the area, WaterPark Place III, by 2015.

“This opens up the whole waterfront to the PATH,†he said, noting thousands of employees will be working out of the building.

As well, the plan suggests there should be access from Union Station to waterfront development east of Yonge Street.

The report also says the system be extended west from Yonge Street toward University Avenue, where there are a cluster of hospitals near part of the University of Toronto campus and Queen’s Park.

They should also consider upgrades wherever the connections to future Downtown Relief Line (DRT) stations will be. The crowds would be big with a DRL at the PATH connections.

Officially, the tunnels that go north-east from the Queens Park Station are NOT part of the PATH network, though it should it. I have used it to get from the Queens Park Station to Bay and Wellesley. I use it to get to the Ferguson Block. Since it already exists, it would be easy just to add the appropriate signage without construction.

Last edited:
The G&M article is really interesting. For those in the 'bury the Gardiner' camp (because they find walking under the expressway intimidating enough that they don't go south to enjoy the Waterfront), this might be an interesting solution. Combined with the Union station/QQ streetcar improvements, the Cherry street/QQ east improvements, and the Fort York path/bikeways out of CityPlace, the Waterfront will be more accessible than it has ever been.

Officially, the tunnels that go north-east from the Queens Park Station are NOT part of the PATH network, though it should it. I have used it to get from the Queens Park Station to Bay and Wellesley. I use it to get to the Ferguson Block. Since it already exists, it would be easy just to add the appropriate signage without construction.

That is, if the Province doesn't seek to make that network passcard-only. (They already have in dibs and drabs: first the Legislature/Whitney, and more recently the Frost Bldg)

Can someone explain to me the true purpose of the PATH network? This is not meant to be sarcastic, but I'm a planning student and a non-Toronto resident, and it has always fascinated me. I've used the PATH on multiple occasions to avoid walking outside during cold temperatures. Is it meant to be a shopping complex, or an alternative to walking outdoors during the winter.
I'm curious because at university, we're told that taking people off of streets will have negative impacts, and PATH does just that (to a degree). On the other hand, the PATH network is like a bustling street full of activity.
Thanks (Y)

I thought the path was originally built to help reduce the congestion on the above ground streets? I work in the core for over a decade and the PATH is invaluable as both an alternative to avoid walking in extreme temperatures (especially in a suit) and a place to eat, shop, and do errands such as banking and dry cleaning.

Since the financial core is so dense, the PATH provides the extra room for the hordes of commuters who need to get down to Union Station. The above ground streets that lead to Union would not be able to support the foot traffic during rush hour without the PATH.

The PATH has been growing for decades and i don't think it has affected the above ground pedestrian traffic at all. During the summer months, people naturally will walk outdoors after being trapped indoors for so many hours. The PATH stores usually consists of convenience stores, food courts, generic brand name storesthat are mostly geared toward quick purchasers. Almost all the stores aren't even open on the weekends. I don't really see the PATH as a shopping destination (yet). Every part of the PATH system is owned by separate entities so there no cohesion or strategy to make the PATH a real mall with a theme or strategy to target the non-office crowd.

The PATH is sterile, confusing to navigate, and extensive. But for the well travelled PATH user, it's extremely convenient to get from Point A to B indoors and a great way to pick up a quick bite or last minute purchase.

Back