News   Apr 18, 2024
 581     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Uniqlo

Read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bun_(hairstyle)#Man_bun

Its predecessor was even found during the time of the Qin Dynasty, as seen on some of the Terracotta Warriors! From the Qin Dynasty (and even as early as the Warring States period) to the end of the Ming Dynasty (and abolished during the Qing Dynasty), Chinese men regularly had hair buns.

The modern man bun is based on samurai and sumo wrestler buns, both of which originated in the 16th century and were themselves based on the Chinese hair buns.

And don't expect Uniqlo or Muji to start any trends in fashion here.

Nobody's going to Uniqlo and buying those puffer style down jackets thinking they're going to be the coolest person on Queen St. They're only buying it because it's priced well, looks decent, is lightweight and keeps them warm.

I never said they were "starting" trends...I said they were extending already existing trends by way of the fact that they are a novel retailer and the most sheepish of consumers will buy in.

Their own marketing material provides the evidence that they are attempting to appeal to every flavour of late hipster possible. For sure every one of these people definitely appear to represent the Queen St crowd who think they are being cool...including the Sikh lumbersexual.

(I remember this when it was the Eddie Bauer look).

Flannel_main.jpg

Last edited:
You make it sound like Mark's Work Wearhouse.

No, high quality basics have been fashion-forward forever and particularly among millennials for the better part of a decade. The Uniqlo puffer jackets you mention are regularly seen on street style blogs.

Note the success of close competitor Everlane, which I'm sure that most of you who don't wear Kirkland jeans are familiar with.

That's the thing though, they are high-quality basics (which is great and I have an entire wardrobe of Uniqlo items) but they are never going to be statement pieces. They are the building blocks of a good, well-tailored, outfit.

Cool, you hate the things that other people like! Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

In fairness to him, I think he got it right.

Unto itself, that's not a knock on Uniqlo as much as saying....what's the fuss about?

If a store carries product highly similar in style and quality to what was already on offer around town, then it's hard to understand why people would be excited by it.

That doesn't make it a bad store, just nothing special.

Have to add; what's with the lighting in Uniqlo (TEC)?

It's blindingly bright.

Not exactly flattering the merchandise or the customers! LOL (myself included).

I don't want dim lighting......but it needn't be so as bright as those used for surgery either.

Zara and Uniglo quality almost at par,H&M is pure trash.Issue is the sizing is moving towards american sizing which is huge.A american medium is basically a large in Canada for most American brands.For dress shirts and pants I have to go MTM.

Personally, I like the quality and price-point of Uniqlo stuff. But I was wondering how long it would take before the "love in" was over.

For the first couple of weeks, cheerful employees would greet you with a smile, say "Welcome to Uniqlo!", and even offer to get you a basket if they saw you carrying any items. Last time I was in, the employees were busy doing their thing (stocking, folding, etc), but for the most part were avoiding eye contact and showing signs of that expressionless, dead-eyed look you often see in jaded and bored retail clerks. I think only one person actually acknowledged us the whole 15-20 minutes we were in there.

I liked Nordstrom and Uniqlo because they seemed excited to see you come in, even though (of course) it is just retail BS, but it made you feel like hanging out for a bit. As opposed to Saks, which never makes any effort unless they can smell money on you, or you look the part, and where the employees see you as an intrusion to their routine of standing around looking bored/unimpressed or talking amongst themselves.

[...] As opposed to Saks, which never makes any effort unless they can smell money on you, or you look the part, and where the employees see you as an intrusion to their routine of standing around looking bored/unimpressed or talking amongst themselves.

This has not been my experience, at least at the Queen's Street store.

Back