News   Jul 23, 2024
 413     0 

Ultimate Suburban McMansions

Also, here:

Attachments

• graph-UT2.jpg
    graph-UT2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 223
hey that's a cool chart. i'm jealous you can attack me that way. i'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't live in a McMansion though.

Jesus was very likely McMansion-neutral.

I wasn't trying to attack you by graphing your opinions. Are you not Anti-McMansion/judgmental, with 63 units of negativity?

55 units?

I was trying to think of a name for the units, but 'Negstroms' seemed oblique.

Here, let me explain it visually:

Attachments

• graph-UT_graphsmade.jpg
    graph-UT_graphsmade.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 210
  • graph-UT_attacks.jpg
    graph-UT_attacks.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 199
Uprising against what?

You don't like the house, you don't have to live in it. It's that simple.

And speaking of a mob mentality, calling for these places to be burned down is a perfect example criminal thinking.

Wow, a scolding in the best vice-principal style. Is your tie too tight? Tweed sports coat too itchy?

Wow, a scolding in the best vice-principal style. Is your tie too tight? Tweed sports coat too itchy?

Since you took it that way, it appears that you have an issues to resolve. One can only assume vice-principal issues on your part.

Maybe you have not tuned into the notion that burning down homes is an unreasonable approach to dealing with things that run contrary to your opinions?

It has also been noted that you have neglected/failed to address this point:

Uprising against what?

Since you took it that way, it appears that you have an issues to resolve. One can only assume vice-principal issues on your part.

Maybe you have not tuned into the notion that burning down homes is an unreasonable approach to dealing with things that run contrary to your opinions?

It has also been noted that you have neglected/failed to address this point:

Uprising against what?

Class uprising. :) You know, one of those things that regularly happens in history.:p

Look, we have a values system difference here. Somehow there will always be folks who aspire to one of these homes. My position is that I hate them with a passion. Of all the stupid indulgences to foist on this planet that also happen to offend the discerning eye and taste, mcmansions are hard to outdo. As far as I am concerned the owners are unconcerned fools. These houses are the equivalent of a finger in my face.

I posted a reply to a similar topic months ago ... I said that I knew the owner of one of these. He called his mansion 'my f-k you house'. This was followed with the mandatory smirk. Think about it. No one needs a house like this. They are purchased to - going down the scale here - impress/cause envy/evoke jealousy.

Of course, in no way am I counseling arson either, that's just rhetoric. People get hurt that way. :eek: If I was invited to a function at one, I wouldn't go. If a vacant one caved in my feelings wouldn't be hurt.

Notice I didn't say a bad thing about the old mcmansions on South Drive; they are lovely.

I would have throw my voice behind those that find such homes offensive and a threat to the common good of the planet. Its doubtful whether debating it will change anyones mind... but when frustrated by such extravagent behaviour I often remind myself, the bigger you are the harder you fall. And we must all remember that this type of grotesque consumption is not endemic to our cushy little part of the world... billionaires in China have now joined the club and are eating up land and resources in a country already starved for space. China will be the first to see the real crash and burn.... will it be a lesson that enlightens the rest of the world, or will our wealthy remain stubbornly blind ego maniacs?

I have an uncle that has made it big owning McDonald's outlets... I hate going to his house because the talk is always about money and 'toys'. He is always trying to impress me with his new big screen tv, built in sound system, new SUV etc... I am really very unimpressed and personally cant relate to anyone so one dimensional (and selfish) in their approach to life.

Given a choice (and the funds for property taxes) would any of you live in a house like these?

Perhaps, come the Kunstlerian post-mortgage-crisis time that such a ridiculous white elephant is subdivided into apartments. And not without a touch of knowing irony, too. Then again, maybe not, if it's a vermin-infested drug den in that incarnation...

Back