News   Aug 26, 2024
 384     1 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 415     0 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 524     2 

Ultimate Suburban McMansions

Good thing aluminum siding isn't every popular here. Brick looks much better.

In coastal Florida, stucco is most popular, and it looks great there. The buildings are built with concrete blocks, so wrapping it with bricks wouldn't make much sense.

I still don't understand how having a perfect lawn and landscaping is showing off.

I live on a street where the majority of the owners are retired. They all have perfect lawns and nicely maintained properties. Surely these older individuals could care less about showing off. They pride themselves in their properties, unlike other people. That is not showing off. Having a nice lawn, landscaping and what not is a reflection of the way one lives indoors. If you live like a pig, the outside of your house will tend to reflect that.

I personally like the look of homes out West. I owned a property in Kelowna, which had stucco/siding. I think it looked far superior than the brick homes that are abudant here. Then again, it's all personal preference. I think when you mix stucco with brick, that looks the best.

I owned a property in Kelowna, which had stucco/siding. I think it looked far superior than the brick homes that are abudant here. Then again, it's all personal preference. I think when you mix stucco with brick, that looks the best.

i don't know--i love stucco too but i hardly ever like it on new homes. i just think it looks incredibly cheap these days--totally lacking in character. the spray on application leaves it looking extraordinarily dull and bland looking. it doesn't help that 95% of it is an awful yellow beige colour (is there any UGLIER colour??). the worst is when they go for the dreaded two tone effect, with white trim fussily cluttering up the long suffering facade. yech.

one of the great things about real stucco is its subtle irregularities, and it ages beautifully. the new synthetic skins, especially when applied on top of styrofoam (ugh) are just SO tacky and cheesy looking in comparison.

R4.jpg

R2.jpg

Puke: In the few years many of these owners will find their hideous monstrohome has become an albatross they can't get rid of when nobody wants to buy something that costs a small fortune to maintain and commute from. I have a weird feeling that very soon homes like this will seem like relics from an age long gone.

Actually, how I picture them is filled with about five generations of new immigrant families each, the yards turned over to the growing of exotic vegetables and herbs that downtowners don't even recognize, anything not made of plastic, chipboard and glue stripped and sold long ago, with a few cinder block extensions on the sides, and a "Kenyan Chopolopi" business operating out of the former front vestibule.

And the better for it, too.

Actually, how I picture them is filled with about five generations of new immigrant families each, the yards turned over to the growing of exotic vegetables and herbs that downtowners don't even recognize, anything not made of plastic, chipboard and glue stripped and sold long ago, with a few cinder block extensions on the sides, and a "Kenyan Chopolopi" business operating out of the former front vestibule.

And the better for it, too.

i hope you are right. that would be very cool...

another suburban monster

hows this for stucco? 5 sideroad and trafalgar road in halton

Attachments

• IMG_3554.jpg
    IMG_3554.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 229

Back