Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
I feel stupider for having watched her speech. It is really just a long tirade against Obama and using her son as a prop.

And the weird thing is, these days, even a "disastrous" Republican result isn't likely to be as bad as Mondale or even Dukakis for the Dems.

Remember that Bob Dole, who supposedly blew 1996 totally, still managed 159 electoral votes, compared to Dukakis' 111...

As an American who grew up in a red state, this kind of stuff resonates with tens of millions of American voters. Palin just validated herself and made a pointed argument against Democrats. I think McCain has a good shot at the Presidency now.

Democrats totally flubbed their convention because they made it a rock star concert, not a political convention. Obama pulled off an argument, but it was a rock star environment. It wasn't the right environment for independents in Missouri or Ohio and unfortunately those kinds of states choose the President.

I dislike McCain's policies so greatly, but my opinion isn't the point. In America, this stuff sells and its popular.

I wouldn't be as jaundiced as you are--though as I indicated, McCain'll probably still cement more electoral votes than the Dems might wish, even with Palin...

Otherwise, you might as well indicate that this'll spill over into the Republicans retaking the Senate and Congress, too.

In America, this stuff sells and its popular.

Then your country is in deep shit. She blatantly lied her way through that speech. BLATANTLY.

1) McCain's tax cuts are for the wealthy. The average red-stater will save more money under Obama

2) She doesn't believe in Global Warming, so pretending to be a green candidate is stupid.

3) SHE SUPPORTED THE BRIDGE TO NOWHERE.

These aren't complex points.

Not to mention calling any community organizers useless. So much for her community values.

I was amazing at how hateful the republican party appeared tonight. Not once once of class and there were numerious times I just had to shake my head and wonder how so many Americans can identify with such hate.

Flip-flopping, hypocrisy, and generally screwing up doesn't seem to hurt the Republicans much. It sometimes seems that if they are strongly against something then they probably did it themselves. The great thing about being "born again" is that what you did doesn't matter... you are automatically better than other people, even those who have never done anything wrong, if you wrap yourself in the flag tightly, praise God like crazy, and tell other people they are sinners.

Then your country is in deep shit. She blatantly lied her way through that speech. BLATANTLY.

1) McCain's tax cuts are for the wealthy. The average red-stater will save more money under Obama

2) She doesn't believe in Global Warming, so pretending to be a green candidate is stupid.

3) SHE SUPPORTED THE BRIDGE TO NOWHERE.

These aren't complex points.

And in America, the vast majority of people are very non-complex people who don't understand the basics, let alone fine details or complexity.

You do realize the nation to your south believes by majority that the Earth is only 2,000 to 6,000 years old and that God whipped it together in 6 days, right? If you're curious I can find some polls that show over 50% of the population when polled consistently believes such. When it comes to Bridge to Nowhere and Taxes, I hardly think they understand anything at all.

This is the part where I remind people that Canada and the United States are two very different nations, regardless that some Canadians only think of West Hollywood or the halls of Harvard when thinking of the US's culture and intelligence.

That's not even 20% of America. The real America is far dumber, and far more gullible.

Unfortunately that's how America is. Otherwise I wouldn't have spent the past 6 years trying to become Canadian.

And in America, the vast majority of people are very non-complex people who don't understand the basics, let alone fine details or complexity.

This was the point made privately to me by various US military officers on exchange in Canada. Many of them worry that all the power and economic might built up over the years is being squandered. As one of these colleagues put it, its not the barbarians at the gate, but a consistent belief in giving D- students top jobs based on a winning smile and friendly personality.

Having met these individuals though I am inclined to believe that there may still be hope for the US. Many of these folks were dyed in the wool republicans who have now become extremely disillusioned with the GOP, even more so while they have been living in Canada. Even US military personnel I have met in Europe at meetings and conferences, etc have told me the same thing. Most don't want to get posted back to the CONUS! I am almost inclined to say, that if it comes down to the mailed home military ballots again, the GOP might be in trouble.....

You do realize the nation to your south believes by majority that the Earth is only 2,000 to 6,000 years old and that God whipped it together in 6 days, right? If you're curious I can find some polls that show over 50% of the population when polled consistently believes such.

This I am somehow skeptical about.....50% is a lot of misguided people.....

Eh, I've met some pretty dumb Canadians in my day, but the difference is the amount of people in Canada who are totally clueless is far lower and they often don't seek positions of power within government or business that often.

Down here the town septic tank drainer seems to end up the company CEO or President way too often. Without any training or proper education at all.

Just look at Tom Delay, he was a bug catcher/pesticide "professional" before he terrorized America with his pathetic tenure as former House Majority Leader and power broker in the Congressional GOP caucus.

When a bug killer who loves Jesus and thinks the Earth is 6,000 years old controls the US Congress, there is a problem. Sure, they lost power in 2006, but that really isn't the point. That kind of nonsense is far less possible in Canada's Parliament.

This I am somehow skeptical about.....50% is a lot of misguided people.....

LOL, its easy.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/22/opinion/polls/main657083.shtml

God created humans in present form - 55%

Humans evolved, God guided the process - 27%

Humans evolved, God did not guide process - 13%

---

Americans who want Creationism and evolution taught in public schools - 65% (yes, 65%)

Creationism instead of evolution - 37% (yes, over 1/3rd wants no evolution introduced at all)

http://people-press.org/commentary/?analysisid=118

The Pew center for the People and the Press is one of the most respected, non-partisan polling centers around. This poll is thorough and more than just a yes/no set of questions.

Question posed:

Some people think that humans and other living things have evolved over time. Others think that humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time. Which of these comes closest to your view?

Through natural processes - 26%
With guidance - 18%
Existed only in present form - 42%

----

Which do you think is more likely to actually be the explanation for the origin of human life on earth: evolution or the biblical account of creation?

Evolution - 33%
God was a divine presence - 13%
God created world in 6 days - 44% (yes, 44%!!)
Don't know - 10%

It would be silly for me not to take into regional differences. I'm sure in New York City the people who think God literally created the world in 6 days is probably a low percent. Even religious catholics from the city tend to think in somewhat rational terms. i.e. believe Earth is several billion years old, mankind evolving through a God-driven process.

While where I grew up in the backwoods of Tennessee the number of literal biblical interpretation where they think the Earth was created in 6 days only 2,000 or 6,000 years ago is probably closer to 80% of the general population (and no, that number is not a joke).

But overall the number is still pretty high for the US at large.

Overall its pretty clear.

When asked point blank yes/no, 55% of America believes that God created man and evolution had little to do with it. When asked a nuanced question its 42% that say evolution is false and God created man in 6 days, and 18% believe evolution was done with God's hand, possibly in only a few thousand years.

That kind of nonsense is far less possible in Canada's Parliament.

Parliamentary democracy is less democratic, but then again, the parties tend to weed out the stupids in the process....so I guess it plus/minus on how you look at it. There are times I think the US system is good....it shows the nation how dumb they really are. After all, leaders should reflect their people.....

I suppose that even if the Palin Republicans lose this one, they'll win in the longer term, a la Barry Goldwater's harbinger for the future--especially if we consider (as mentioned) that the "stupids" are reproducing more avidly and more rapidly. And America will become an Ayatollahish theocracy.

Thinking back 40 years when the US of A seemed like such a glistening promised land of Ed Sullivan and Commander Tom on cross-border television, it distracted you from the actual ugly reality of the place taking place: the nonchalant nadir of white flight and urban decay, etc. Now, it seems like the other way around: our "received" image of the States is of such weirdo Jesusland degradation, it distracts us from the actuality of Obama-world cultural enlightenment...

Parliamentary democracy is less democratic, but then again, the parties tend to weed out the stupids in the process....so I guess it plus/minus on how you look at it. There are times I think the US system is good....it shows the nation how dumb they really are. After all, leaders should reflect their people.....

That's easily said, but doesn't really explain things. The biggest difference between Parliamentary Democracy and US style democracy is that Parliamentary democracies have responsible parties, the US style democracy does not.

I don't want to go through a history of American government, but in Congress the final and supreme power is the US Senate. Its not proportional at all, and until the 1910's state legislatures appointed Senators.

The US President is elected by 538 electors who vote on recommendation (and party loyalty) and are not required to do anything the people suggest.

A matter of fact, its entirely legal for the electors in the US electoral college to vote for someone who didn't even run or campaign for President. Just like Parliament has procedures and traditions, its just tradition for electors to vote based on who their state voted for (unless the state has a law, like NJ recently passed, that requires their electors to vote for the popular vote winner).

If you look between the lines, its quite common for a few electors every Presidential election to go off and vote for someone not even on the Presidential ballot. (I will edit this entry and list one here in a bit)...

US democracy isn't as democratic as one might think on the surface, and there are benefits and negatives to both systems.

The worst part of US democracy is that you never can hold a party accountable. Every member of Congress does their own thing and has their own caucuses within Congress.

The President can rarely get their agenda through Congress, and the fight that ensues is one of total gridlock.

Canada's Parliament is far superior to the US Congress and Presidential system IMO.

Back