Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
You are aware that the Ontario legislature reads a christian prayer ("The Lord's Prayer") at the beginning of each day, right? And when someone suggested that maybe it might be a bit outdated with modern-day Canada, there was a fairly large public outcry and the idea was quickly nixed. Canada and US aren't really that different - take it from someone who has lived extensively in both countries... the grass always looks greener from the other side (but it isn't).

and the shit really hit the fan when henry morgentaler got the order of canada. now there's a movement to get his order revoked & the fundies are all stirred up again and want a total ban on abortion and of course the government has been extensively funding catholic indoctrination centers (catholic schools) so there's no shortage of support for the catholic church's stance.

You are aware that the Ontario legislature reads a christian prayer ("The Lord's Prayer") at the beginning of each day, right? And when someone suggested that maybe it might be a bit outdated with modern-day Canada, there was a fairly large public outcry and the idea was quickly nixed. Canada and US aren't really that different - take it from someone who has lived extensively in both countries... the grass always looks greener from the other side (but it isn't).

Yes, I'm very aware of all things Canada. But it doesn't bother me considering they do that as a ceremonial thing, the laws they produce are quite something different.

How can I fault a government that has sanctioned gay marriage, gives health care to all its citizens, and generally spends revenue generated not killing people in foreign lands we shouldn't be in.

I have never pretended anything different, I'm a very multicultural person. I don't mind certain ceremonial things taking place, but when they get taken out of context and literally go into the law of the land is another thing.

Look at what happened to John Tory in the last election, McGuinty got an overwhelming majority for a reason.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25519279/

Obama opens door to altering his Iraq policy

Democrat says his upcoming trip could change his troop withdrawal plan

During his presidential campaign, Obama has gone from the hard-edged, vocal opposition to Iraq that defined his early candidacy to more nuanced rhetoric that calls for a phased-out drawdown of all combat brigades that, at a rate of one or two a month, could last 16 months.

....only 4 weeks into having the primary sewn up and he's already coming back off his Iraq withdrawal.

How much more can we take?

America is over, and the late George Carlin said it best.

i wonder how big/influential the christian left is in the US?

It's more a matter of the Xtian centre, esp. the 20/30somethings who are much more "post-ideological" in outlook than their Moral Majority-swayed elders. Even they think Rush Limbaugh is a tired, embarrassing buffoon pandering to mouth-breathers...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25519279/

Obama opens door to altering his Iraq policy

Democrat says his upcoming trip could change his troop withdrawal plan

....only 4 weeks into having the primary sewn up and he's already coming back off his Iraq withdrawal.

How much more can we take?

America is over, and the late George Carlin said it best.

Calm down. He's always been open to some movement on his Iraq policy. Early in his debates, he noted that if Al Q set up bases in Iraq, he'd move back in. Hillary was the one saying she'd do it within her first weeks in office (probably to compensate for supporting the war).

No one is going to implement universal healthcare, and no one is going to immediately pull the troops out Iraq. To believe otherwise is to be naive.

Obama is making his post-primary run toward the centre... like every politician ever.

I'm fully aware of the US political system, but thanks. ;)

Its fair to say that Obama is not very coy of a politician to announce, only 4 weeks into grasping the nomination, that he's rethinking his Iraq policy.

I think the world is going to be surprised how close the election will be this fall. Obama is destroying some of his base.

Brandon its called waking up from idealistic bullshit and facing reality.

It happens to many people after University and to many politicians when they lose or see the real picture...

About your claims, Obama is locking up more and more support from the centre because he knows the idealistic nut jobs have no one else to support.

I think the world is going to be surprised how close the election will be this fall. Obama is destroying some of his base.

and vote for who???

Your a funny man.

Brandon its called waking up from idealistic bullshit and facing reality.

It happens to many people after University and to many politicians when they lose or see the real picture...

About your claims, Obama is locking up more and more support from the centre because he knows the idealistic nut jobs have no one else to support.

and vote for who???

Your a funny man.

I prefer to be the guy know for satire. Idealistic nut jobs? There are plenty of us out there. I also don't think being against the Iraq war is that nutty, but to each his own.

I also don't think being against the Iraq war is that nutty

I think he was referring more to the idea of believing Obama's earlier claims about pulling out. I mean I thought it was clear that he would be changing his tune eventually and that it was just a nice election slogan.

Putting them in, pulling it out.. You wouldn't think America would catch a disease with as many times as we wag our weenie in everyone's face.

You might be interested in an article in today's Star:

Obama takes his lumps on website

I was realy disappointed by his remarks after that SCOTUS Louisiana case regarding capital punishment, then the disapointments kept coming, especially since he won the Democratic nomination with a campaign where he stayed away from pandering for the most part, like opposing the gas tax holiday.

Sad that there's the need to appeal to the Middle American common denominator. Could he get back to his true self once he is elected? My hope is that we will see something like Lyndon Johnson's civil rights work - where, being in Texas, he had to keep his true feelings below the level, but once President, he had the freedom to do what he wanted in that regard. Then again, he got the US fully engaged in Viet Nam.

What!?

Please tell me that's a joke.

Doesn't anybody here know any Americans?? I would say 1/2 of them are religious Christians/holy rollers of a very conservative shade. This is just my experience of dealing with them in almost every state across the US in 13 years of my business ...

And they can VOTE for candidates that make the right noises. :)

Given how cracked things have become in the States thus far, it'd be interesting if Barack Obama fell to an assassin, sparking Civil War II and a Limbaugh-esque conservative dictatorship...

Back