Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
And one where he made the minister an advisor on his campaign committee! I mean can't we cut the church/state mixing? Its bad enough it happened in the Republican party, now the Democratic party is playing the me-too syndrome on this issue.

He was fired from the Campaign's Spiritual Advisory Committee. Basically he was a motivational speaker. Separation of Church and State? That's a wee bit alarmist.

You think Obama has dirty laundry?

Why hasn't Clinton released her tax returns, or her records from her days as first lady?

Why won't she release her earmark requests?

He was fired from an existing advisory committee?

Surely Obama must have known something of Reverend Nutbar's paranoiac, racist and historically selective spewings? Nothing terribly spiritual in any of his bleatings.

This is beginning to get fun, this is great! McCain gets a rest, and Clinton and Obama bloody each other.

Does Obama's pastor matter -- yes, of course. He has been a member of that church and that pastor for a very long time. If this is not "out of the ordinary" of course it matters. If a presidential candidate were a member of a white supremist church - and he said - hey - I don't agree with what that church espouses but I don't want to leave because I like the community - what do you think the reaction would be?

Now with Clinton not releasing records - she will continue to hide it because obviously there are items in there that can cause problems. I expect her "April 15th" release will only be for the current filing and she will try to get away with not releasing tax filings before that one.... because there is something that could cause problems.... It is obvious - otherwise she would have released them. Same with the records from the time she was first lady..... maybe it will show how much she "stretched" her "foreign affairs" experience (which she does not have - otherwise she would have had a security clearance before she was a senator). Anyone dealing with foreign affairs HAS TO get it.

If a presidential candidate were a member of a white supremist church - and he said - hey - I don't agree with what that church espouses but I don't want to leave because I like the community - what do you think the reaction would be?.

If you ignore important context like history, for example, then your analogy might make sense. There is a double-standard.

This is beginning to get fun, this is great! McCain gets a rest, and Clinton and Obama bloody each other.

Does Obama's pastor matter -- yes, of course. He has been a member of that church and that pastor for a very long time. If this is not "out of the ordinary" of course it matters. If a presidential candidate were a member of a white supremist church - and he said - hey - I don't agree with what that church espouses but I don't want to leave because I like the community - what do you think the reaction would be?

The reaction would've been one, maybe two days of scandalous headlines in the press then business-as-usual collusion and positive spin. Historical context still plays a heavy role in how news is covered in today's world, psychological predispositions related to race-based policy-making.

Was the pastor coming completely out of left field with his presumptions and is there zero truth to his convictions? Being a tolerant, open-minded society sometimes involves recogning one's own faults. We shouldn't condemn at best a philosophical advisor to Obama for having the bravery to be a free-thinker. As for the candidate, the onus shouldn't be on him to V-chip any radicals in his campaign team. The person was dismissed, lets leave it at that. So far I've heard Obama's affiliated with Muslim extremists and hut people. When will the snob judgment and xenophobia perpetuated by mainstream sources ever end?

Yes it'd appear the Dems are handing the win to McCain. Thanks Hilary :rolleyes:!

The reaction would've been one, maybe two days of scandalous headlines in the press then business-as-usual collusion and positive spin. Historical context still plays a heavy role in how news is covered in today's world, psychological predispositions related to race-based policy-making.

Was the pastor coming completely out of left field with his presumptions and is there zero truth to his convictions? Being a tolerant, open-minded society sometimes involves recogning one's own faults. We shouldn't condemn at best a philosophical advisor to Obama for having the bravery to be a free-thinker. As for the candidate, the onus shouldn't be on him to V-chip any radicals in his campaign team. The person was dismissed, lets leave it at that. So far I've heard Obama's affiliated with Muslim extremists and hut people. When will the snob judgment and xenophobia perpetuated by mainstream sources ever end?

Yes it'd appear the Dems are handing the win to McCain. Thanks Hilary :rolleyes:!

You're blaming Hillary just because she's in the running and won't just give up. I never knew political candidates were supposed to just give up and never fight for anything when competition arises.

This is every bit the fault of Obama's team as anyone.

All this need to have some other identifiable group of people apologize for the transgressions of others does nothing but re-enforce the believe in those that are asking for it that they were/are a loser within the society today.

Those that look at themselves as victims and blame others for all that is wrong will forever be losers. Those that look to the future and believe in themselves will have a better chance of building a better future.

All this need to have some other identifiable group of people apologize for the transgressions of others does nothing but re-enforce the believe in those that are asking for it that they were/are a loser within the society today.

Those that look at themselves as victims and blame others for all that is wrong will forever be losers. Those that look to the future and believe in themselves will have a better chance of building a better future.

You have a point, but so does the other side.

What if they still have legitimate gripes about society TODAY?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWe7wTVbLUU

An amazing speech by Obama. He confronted the issue head on and said things we've never heard from a presidential candidate. Honest and so far above the usual level of political discourse in the US.

It probably won't win him any votes, but I think he saw the bigger picture.

An amazing speech by Obama. He confronted the issue head on and said things we've never heard from a presidential candidate. Honest and so far above the usual level of political discourse in the US.
I totally agree. I wasn't sure how he was going to handle that maelstrom, but he did so powerfully, eloquently and bluntly.

Still, I am not sure if Americans will remember his speech or the preachers more vividly.

Back