News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 395     0 

TTC surface stop spacing

As a frequent user of the 506 Carlton, I've always wondered if it would make sense to remove the Elizabeth street stop, considering it's only steps away from Bay Street. Also, what about the other Victorias located at Dundas and King streets?
I agree that all these could probably be removed but am happy that the TTC has agreed to a proper review of possible stop removals. There may be good reasons why the standards do not really fit for particular stops and if they are looked at this may become clear.

As a frequent user of the 506 Carlton, I've always wondered if it would make sense to remove the Elizabeth street stop, considering it's only steps away from Bay Street. Also, what about the other Victorias located at Dundas and King streets?

Google map shows it takes a whole one minute to walk from Bay to Elizabeth. But what if seniors/sick people have to go to Women's College Hospital? It is almost 200 meters to walk from Bay/College.

But there is the 5C Avenue Road bus, but it practically useless as it only goes south of College Street between 9:20 and 14:50, 5 days a week. That's not enough time to make many medical appointments, and only goes to/from the north (there's also the double fare 142, but that's even more useless). The 6 and the 506 are the closest regular transit routes.

The biggest barrier right now, the steep steps up and down the streetcar, are going to disappear. I'm getting a little tired about the "won't someone PLEASE think of the accessibility/disabled/sick" argument especially when it comes to Victoria Street.

I know, its unreal is it not

Google map shows it takes a whole one minute to walk from Bay to Elizabeth. But what if seniors/sick people have to go to Women's College Hospital? It is almost 200 meters to walk from Bay/College.

Do you know the entrance to the hospital is closer to Bay than Elizabeth.

This report recommend that it be remove since very few people use it in the first place.

The Frazer stop on King may disappear all together along with [FONT=&amp]Joe Shuster Way after taking to staff after the meeting.[/FONT]

Have fun with this report as no matter what stop we talk about, there will be opposition to it. It has to happen if we want to make transit better for ""ALL"" riders, not a few.
http://transiturban.ca/transit/transitreports/TTCStopsRemovalJan28-14.doc

What about the doors at the subway station entrances? Why don't we just rid of them? The physical effort is just too much for all of us humans. If we can't get rid of them, then all the doors should open by pushing on them, none of them should be pulled.

Then about the new streetcars and the buttons on the outside to open the doors. Couldn't they just open as a person, dog, raccoon, squirrel, etc. approaches the door?

(Just being sarcastic.)

:rolleyes:

What about the doors at the subway station entrances? Why don't we just rid of them? The physical effort is just too much for all of us humans. If we can't get rid of them, then all the doors should open by pushing on them, none of them should be pulled.
Given there's a program in place, to replace the pull doors of subway stations with sliding ones, for accessibility, then this sounds a bit prejudiced ... though I think that's probably unintentional.

[/FONT]

This is not true. You cross Elizabeth St at College from south to north and continue walking and you hit Women's College. My son was born there and I use to work at Toronto General Hospital in the College wing and use the Elizabeth entrance. Sure when I worked there it was convenient to get off at Elizabeth St. But the question is are there more people getting off at Elizabeth (to go to the various hospitals) or Bay St.

[/FONT]

This is not true. You cross Elizabeth St at College from south to north and continue walking and you hit Women's College. My son was born there and I use to work at Toronto General Hospital in the College wing and use the Elizabeth entrance. Sure when I worked there it was convenient to get off at Elizabeth St. But the question is are there more people getting off at Elizabeth (to go to the various hospitals) or Bay St.

My kids were born in the non existing hospital also, but it was being torn down last year end. The new entrance and hospital is where the parking garage was. Very few people get on and off at these stops and why they should be removed.

If I remember correctly and maybe wrong, there was a stop in front of The Toronto General Hospital, but was remove when the major makeover took place.
10495919313_a7785b6e81_b.jpg

My kids were born in the non existing hospital also, but it was being torn down last year end. The new entrance and hospital is where the parking garage was. Very few people get on and off at these stops and why they should be removed.

If I remember correctly and maybe wrong, there was a stop in front of The Toronto General Hospital, but was remove when the major makeover took place.
10495919313_a7785b6e81_b.jpg
Well now of course the hospital is being rebuilt but till that, Elizabeth stop was the closest not Bay to Women's College. You may not be aware that most hospital workers start at 7am so at 630 the stop must be busy. I sure know it was when i used it. I did find it strange there was a stop at college in front of the hospital and then again at Elizabeth. There did use to be a stop in front of Toronto General Hospital. I also bet a lot of people visiting the hospital are not aware there is a stop at Elizabeth St. which is why perhaps they get off at College

I've been collecting eligibility criteria for specialized transit services for CUTA, and I've noticed a lot of systems have the requirement of being unable to walk 175m. This means that the distance between the Yonge and Victoria streetcar stops is HALF the minimum distance one is expected to be able to walk before qualifying for many systems' special needs services.

Bottom line: unless you are so lazy that even a cripple could outwalk you, stop your whining and walk to the hospital from Yonge!

Bottom line: unless you are so lazy that even a cripple could outwalk you, stop your whining and walk to the hospital from Yonge!
That's not the issue though. I don't care if there's a hospital there or not. Queen should stop, westbound at Victoria. Ditto for King (which does stop there, has always stopped there, and there is no hospital!). It's simply related to the amount of congestion, and the number of people who get off. You gain little leaving the car sitting there on the light, and not letting anyone out - many times, it will actually make things slower, not faster.

Last edited:
That's not the issue though. I don't care if there's a hospital there or not. Queen should stop, westbound at Victoria. Dittor for King (which does stop there, has always stopped there, and there is no hospital!). It's simply related to the amount of congestion, and the number of people who get off. You gain little leaving the car sitting there on the light, and not letting anyone out - many times, it will actually make things slower, not faster.
Though your basic point about Queen and Victoria may be right, there is no light at King and Victoria.

Though your basic point about Queen and Victoria may be right, there is no light at King and Victoria.
LOL! True, I should know that! Seems like there is, given that the streetcar often sits there anyway, because of traffic!

The new streetcars will have four doors instead of three, and are low floor with all-door boarding. "Congestion" of passengers is hardly a valid argument for King/Victoria and Queen/Victoria.

Last edited:
The new streetcars will have four doors instead of three, and are low floor with all-door boarding. "Congestion" of passengers is hardly a valid argument for King/Victoria and Queen/Victoria.
Traffic congestion. That streetcar is going to be parked at Victoria westbound, if it had 3 doors, 4 doors, or nothing but doors. It's not the loading time that's most significant ... it's the traffic in rush hour. If you really want it to change it, you get rid of the cars. If you do that, then you can get rid of Victoria.

Back