News   Jul 11, 2024
 398     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 541     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 694     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

Well I tuned in and gave her a chance to explain herself about why the Broadview station expansion has been delayed indefinitely (because of her own actions), but she chose not to respond and sent me this response in private since i guess she's scared city staff would expose her. Now it's time to put her on blast through the news outlets.

I mean really now, "service planning" is going to address the issue? What in the planet is she talking about.

View attachment 486811
I got a more detailed response, which I sadly lost after I accidently logged out half-way through. Basically it was that TTC CEO decided to use time the service into and out of the station. rather than lose the revenue from the lost parking spots.

To which I asked why not just raise parking rates to cover the revenue, and why do we think after 100 years that the TTC is going to properly time service? But didn't get a response (though it was getting busier).

I got a more detailed response, which I sadly lost after I accidently logged out half-way through. Basically it was that TTC CEO decided to use time the service into and out of the station. rather than lose the revenue from the lost parking spots.

To which I asked why not just raise parking rates to cover the revenue, and why do we think after 100 years that the TTC is going to properly time service? But didn't get a response (though it was getting busier).
As much as I detest Rick Leary and think he's a complete, utter, useless CEO, what Fletcher is saying doesnt add up. So the TTC went through all of the trouble to have detailed planning in place and look into expanding Broadview, only to have Leary come and say "let's just time service in/out of Broadview better"?

I'm not buying it, especially since the TTC recently expanded (to a degree) Dundas West.

As much as I detest Rick Leary and think he's a complete, utter, useless CEO, what Fletcher is saying doesnt add up. So the TTC went through all of the trouble to have detailed planning in place and look into expanding Broadview, only to have Leary come and say "let's just time service in/out of Broadview better"?

I'm not buying it, especially since the TTC recently expanded (to a degree) Dundas West.
The tender call was actually issued for the Loop - not sure if it was awarded but the TTC had all the plans done and were set to move. Stupid!

Sorry to say; @Amare ; but I think you're being insufficiently cynical here. LOL

The tender call was actually issued for the Loop - not sure if it was awarded but the TTC had all the plans done and were set to move. Stupid!

The tender closed Feb. 15th:

I imagine it was awarded, because the bid results are public..........

If there is one silver lining in this fiasco.................. look at who the low bidder was (normally the basis of award)

1687351024050.png

I hope this Councillor gets exposed for what she has done. It’s time to sweep out the old trash and that includes taking out the CEO at the TTC as well.
So the Broadview loop is going to stay unused and no construction is going to happen so why not just run street cars into the station to not inconvenience customers.

So the Broadview loop is going to stay unused and no construction is going to happen so why not just run street cars into the station to not inconvenience customers.
The primary reason for the closure is they are digging up the sewers under Broadview, then rebuilding the street, including the streetcar tracks.

The adjustments to the tracks at Broadview station were a very minor part of this project, and doesn't effect the timing. They can't even run buses now up Broadview north of Gerrard right now!

They announced at today's TTC board meeting the September restoration of the 508 streetcar during peak periods, as well as restoration of the 507 service from Long Branch to Humber Loop. Meanwhile the 501 and 506 return to full service.

View attachment 491841
if you had to guess, how many years will the 508 have until inevitable bustification returns?

if you had to guess, how many years will the 508 have until inevitable bustification returns?
I can't recall the last iteration of the 508. Did the morning service run all the way east to Parliament still (when not short turned), or did it go further than that?

I remember back in the 2000-2010 period the 508 ALRVs would go out of service at Parliament and then go back in service as a 506 running to Roncesvales. One of the very rare occasions you would see an ALRV on Carlton/College.

You are using years and not months? That's optimistic.

The TTC has been doing consultation on upcoming construction that will stop streetcars between Roncesvalles and Shaw on King. Though I suppose diverting on Queen is a possibility.

You are using years and not months? That's optimistic.

The TTC has been doing consultation on upcoming construction that will stop streetcars between Roncesvalles and Shaw on King. Though I suppose diverting on Queen is a possibility.
Sorry I meant 507, ie streetcar service west of Roncesvalles car barn. I'm no professional but a great deal of the tracks in new toronto/long branch look very near to the end of their safe usage

Oh, I'm sure there'll be more disruptions. Though I think it's mostly the newer construction type (2 layers), so replacement shouldn't take long, and they'll do it in stretches as necessary.

And of course the Parklawn loop installation - if that ever happens.

Back