News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

Meanwhile....

Note three items in the following videos that the TTC streetcars do not do or follow.

1. Transit specific traffic signal. No verbage signs saying "TRANSIT SIGNAL". Motorists shouldn't be confusing the signals meant for them.
2. No unnecessary stopping at track switches. They go through a near normal speed.
3. Double-point switches. In the Toronto streetcar network, they continue to use single-point because they don't have the necessary budget for the improvements.

Meanwhile, in Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia...

Wireless trams. The trams can get recharged at each station. Possible, because they get the needed transit funds to do so. Can't do that in Toronto or Ontario.
It's not about funding. It's something called winter.

Ice and snow can block the conductivity of electricity. Why do you think that the Scarborough RT looses power everytime it snows or there is an ice storm?

It's great for climates where it's not snowing from November to April.

You can build above ground charging using pantograph similar to a electric bus.

Yes but it's not the power rails that are the problem it's the induction plates that run down the middle of the tracks for the liner induction motors.
Correct and don't those street cars in Australia use induction to charge? Whenever there is a barrier between the charging unit and the concrete you will loose efficiency.

Unless they can figure out to heat the pavement from forming ice but by the time you do that pantograph charging at stations is more practical.

Don't get me wrong it's an interesting technology but I don't think it's practical in our climate.

Correct and don't those street cars in Australia use induction to charge? Whenever there is a barrier between the charging unit and the concrete you will loose efficiency.
I think you are thinking of the Sydney one's. On one line through the city centre they have a section that has no overhead wires and uses an indication system for power.

The induction system for the Scarborough RT is completely different it's for the traction motors. Basically the plates down the middle are electromagnetic and are either powered on or off depending on the location of the train on them. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_induction_motor

Yes but it's not the power rails that are the problem it's the induction plates that run down the middle of the tracks for the liner induction motors.
The power rails are absolutely the problem. They've been the problem since before the line opened.

The design of the power rails on the ICTS system - sideways contact versus top-running on a rail, and a long slider versus a short and stiff "shoe" - has always been far, far more susceptible to icing and inclement weather - even severe rain - than the subway has been.

Dan

If I were dictator...

I would change some of the 9nn express bus routes into 5nn express streetcar/light rail routes.

Don't the express buses tend to use the middle or left lanes? Don't the streetcars use the middle or left lanes?

The express streetcars would use the left lanes anyways, stopping at the express streetcar stops. Would be better for them to use a right-of-way, but the pro-automobile powers-that-be won't go with that. While "mixed traffic", the express streetcar will still be able to pass the "local" buses.

For example, the 29 Dufferin bus would continue to service the local bus stops. The 529 Dufferin streetcar would service the express streetcar stops. The 52 Lawrence West bus would continue to service the local bus stops. The 552 Lawrence West streetcar would service the express streetcar stops. The 95 York Mills bus would continue to service the local bus stops. The 595 York Mills streetcar would service the express streetcar stops.

However, the automobile god disciples will not hear of that. That would greatly upset their deities. Kneel before the car.
Kneel_Before_Zod_small.jpg
From link.

If I were dictator...

I would change some of the 9nn express bus routes into 5nn express streetcar/light rail routes.

Don't the express buses tend to use the middle or left lanes? Don't the streetcars use the middle or left lanes?

The express streetcars would use the left lanes anyways, stopping at the express streetcar stops. Would be better for them to use a right-of-way, but the pro-automobile powers-that-be won't go with that. While "mixed traffic", the express streetcar will still be able to pass the "local" buses.

For example, the 29 Dufferin bus would continue to service the local bus stops. The 529 Dufferin streetcar would service the express streetcar stops. The 52 Lawrence West bus would continue to service the local bus stops. The 552 Lawrence West streetcar would service the express streetcar stops. The 95 York Mills bus would continue to service the local bus stops. The 595 York Mills streetcar would service the express streetcar stops.

However, the automobile god disciples will not hear of that. That would greatly upset their deities. Kneel before the car.
From link.
I don't remember Lawrence and York Mills having streetcar tracks.

If I were dictator...

From link.
MIght as well just build a tramway/LRT with a dedicated ROW and wider stop spacing...

I don't remember Lawrence and York Mills having streetcar tracks.
That's because the TTC made the mistake of NOT extending its streetcar network beyond the old City of Toronto boundaries (fare zone 1). They were taken in by the 1950's bus company propaganda that buses the future for public transit, when it wasn't.

That's because the TTC made the mistake of NOT extending its streetcar network beyond the old City of Toronto boundaries (fare zone 1). They were taken in by the 1950's bus company propaganda that buses the future for public transit, when it wasn't.
So was everyone else; no North American city went without major challenges to its streetcar network. For once, Toronto-speed in transit saved the day.

Also, as the 1997 TTC report shows, traditional streetcars need high density to be a viable transport mode, something the suburbs do not have.

The trolleybus dismantling was a larger mistake, I think.

Last edited:

Back