News   Apr 19, 2024
 30     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 722     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.8K     2 

TTC: Streetcar Network

The Star:
Toronto to consider new transit-priority measures on long stretches of King and Queen Streets

Transit-priority measures like those installed for the King Street pilot project could be coming to a longer section of King and be applied to Queen Street as well under the city’s 10-year plan to improve service on busy bus and streetcar routes.
Toronto using initiatives like signal priority, reserved or dedicated transit lanes, and the removal or restriction of on-street parking.
The first half of the Surface Transit Network Plan, scheduled for 2021 to 2024, is estimated to cost $62 million.
In later stages, the city intends to explore transit-boosting measures on King and Queen that could mirror the traffic restrictions installed on a 2.6-kilometre stretch of King between Bathurst and Jarvis Streets in 2017.
In the new report, transportation staff write that given the success of that project, the city should explore “further extensions of transit priority along King” and examine “similar applications of transit priority on other streetcar corridors such as Queen.”

The section of King staff are targeting for new measures stretches nearly eight kilometres from Roncesvalles Avenue to the Don Valley Parkway, and the section of Queen runs about 14 kilometres from Roncesvalles to Victoria Park Avenue.

Exactly which measures would be installed on Queen, King, and other streets would be determined through further study. Detailed design for both Queen and King is scheduled for 2027, and installation for 2028.

Fascinating that they built tracks on Runnymede between Dundas and St. Clair to access a maintenance facility that was never built, thus the tracks were never used.

So Toronto.
Of course, IF they had been able to build the maintenance facility they would have been seen as very smart! (Like the builders of the Bloor Viaduct who left space for streetcar that did not arrive for decades.) Damned if you do, damned if you don't.!

I have wondered if things might/should change once the Eglinton line opens. I'd think a lot of riders that previously got off Bathurst station but started north of Eglinton would be getting off at Forest Hill station. But how many?

It may make sense to stop the 7 at Forest Hill, and then run a separate service south from there. The current plan is to leave the 7 unchanged.

If the tracks went to Eglinton instead of St. Clair, it would be a no-brainer to extend the 511 streetcar service to Forest Hill.

Running a bus service just between Forest Hill and Bathurst seems silly, if they need less vehicles. Maybe you could extend the 511 up to St. Clair West, and do something else between St. Clair and Eglinton. The 33 Forest Hill runs up Spadina, not too far to the east, providing service mostly between St. Clair and Eglinton. To the west there's something similar on the 90 Vaughan, providing service on Vaughan. You could do something similar on Bathurst between St Clair and Eglinton. Or perhaps loop the 33 somehow to do a circle in both directions.
The tracks already there, but St Clair West is pretty full, can they support more streetcars?

Why is it so hard to find on the TTC website when he 506 service returns to Flexity? And btw, when it that scheduled for?
Simple................TTC has no control of construction not related to them. Why provide info when they have no real date in the first place other than a maybe timeframe?? At this time of the year, everyone is subject to weather that can delay things.

Any track work completion is subject to the completion of the work by the contractor hire by the City to do. TTC is responsible for placing ties and switches after the contractor pour the base for them. Once in place, the contractor pour concrete to anchor them in place. TTC then install the rails and do the splicing as required. The contractor then pour the top coat of concrete and what every needs to be done. TTC then does test runs to make sure everything is ready for return of service.

TTC will do overhead work on finish track work that maybe require before testing takes place.

Why is it so hard to find on the TTC website when he 506 service returns to Flexity? And btw, when it that scheduled for?
May 18, someone mentioned. Though with it dependent on Hydro finishing their work, it's not surprising they don't want to make firm commitments. Especially in ice-storm season.

I don't if I have asked this question before so........

Can the current Flexity trains be expanded? Right now they are about 30 meters divided up into different section so is it possible to add more sections to bring the trains to 40, 50 or even 60 meters? The TTC streetcar routes are very straight with little curves so I wouldn't think trackage would be a problem. I appreciate that terminus stations and u-turns at them may be a challenge but I am just talking about the vehicles themselves.

Can the current Flexity trains be expanded? Right now they are about 30 meters divided up into different section so is it possible to add more sections to bring the trains to 40, 50 or even 60 meters? The TTC streetcar routes are very straight with little curves so I wouldn't think trackage would be a problem. I appreciate that terminus stations and u-turns at them may be a challenge but I am just talking about the vehicles themselves.
I can't speak to the Flexity, but I know Alstom and a number of other supplier cars can have sections added or remove. At X length, another power unit needs to be added.

The streetcar loops would have to be enlarged to handle the longer streetcars. They were originally designed for a large Peter Witt streetcar and trailer, which is why the current Flexity Outlooks are the same length.

Alternatively, wyes may have to be created to handle double-ended streetcars of the longer length.

Currently, the world's longest streetcar/tram comes in at 56-meter-long in Budapest. They are also narrower. From link.
budapest-now-has-the-world-s-longest-tram.inbox1600x528.jpg

0e1b452c94dcb07662afacc5bb0b477d.exact1980w.jpg

Back