News   Apr 17, 2024
 882     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

TTC: Streetcar Network

My car dealership offers me free TTC tokens, every time I go in to service my car! Not sure what they'll do when those end ... perhaps free Presto tickets?

Not new either, I've been with them for a decade or so ...

Wait what? They reward you for being with them with tokens. As Johnny Au was saying, I find that hilarious

Wait what? They reward you for being with them with tokens. As Johnny Au was saying, I find that hilarious
Unless they somehow manage to install a Presto reader inside all of the cars at the dealership, I don't see how that would be useful!
It's very useful. If they are servicing your car, you can't drive it. Normally one (in this neighbourhood at least) takes streetcar or subway to work. If the car needs servicing, I drive it to dealer, and walk to the subway and go to work. Usually I've got a pass anyway, so I don't take a token - but they always offer one.

Sure beats sitting around the car dealer for an hour or so while they service it ... and then what am I going to do ... take it to work with me ... and pay $20 for parking ... right.

Toronto and East York Community Council unanimously voted yesterday to request TTC study the possibility of reconfiguring the streetcar loading at Broadview stations to fit more cars into the streetcar loop and report back by June 25. And also to do a traffic study of the Erindale/Broadview intersection by September 16.

I'd assume that City Council will rubber stamp this next week. The item is at http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2019.TE4.81

Toronto and East York Community Council unanimously voted yesterday to request TTC study the possibility of reconfiguring the streetcar loading at Broadview stations to fit more cars into the streetcar loop and report back by June 25. And also to do a traffic study of the Erindale/Broadview intersection by September 16.

I'd assume that City Council will rubber stamp this next week. The item is at http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2019.TE4.81

View attachment 177501

Hmmm, when would they start consturtion on this? And when they do, the best solution may already be one they are already running on King, and one implement last summer during consturtion on Broadview, only running the 504A branch from Dundas W. Stn to Distillery and then having 504 shuttle buses east of there.

View attachment 177501

If they extended the 506 DUNDAS eastward to Carlaw and eventually a Gerrard Relief Line Station/SmartTrack Station, they could leave Broadview Station for the 504 KING streetcars. Unless the 506 DUNDAS turns south on Broadview to serve the Port Lands.

201606_gerrardplan.jpg

(North is to the right.)
From link.

They should put in a streetcar loop at the Gerrard Station, if not for regular service, then for short turn loops.

If they extended the 506 DUNDAS eastward to Carlaw and eventually a Gerrard Relief Line Station/SmartTrack Station, they could leave Broadview Station for the 504 KING streetcars. Unless the 506 DUNDAS turns south on Broadview to serve the Port Lands.

201606_gerrardplan.jpg

(North is to the right.)
From link.

They should put in a streetcar loop at the Gerrard Station, if not for regular service, then for short turn loops.
Where does my No Frills go? Where will I buy food? :p

I think the car dealerships have a mindset of competing with other car dealerships, not with public transit. They want to keep you happy, and reduce the risk that you will shop around and buy your next car at another dealership. If you do, that's their 100% loss. Giving a couple of tokens for 6 dollars or so is a good way to keep you happy.

They don't expect you to hop on a TTC bus once, fall in love with TTC, and stop driving for good. If you choose not to buy the next car at all, that almost certainly means your personal circumstances changed and you no longer need a car. The dealership can't do anything about that.

Totally agree. But what's your thinking on the actual routing of getting the 505 to Gerrard Station? I think most of that Dundas stretch can handle an extension, but it gets more complicated after DeGrassi with the rail corridor, etc.

Totally agree. But what's your thinking on the actual routing of getting the 505 to Gerrard Station? I think most of that Dundas stretch can handle an extension, but it gets more complicated after DeGrassi with the rail corridor, etc.
I thought the recent thoughts had been to turn east on Gerrard from Broadview, into Gerrard Station, rather than a new alignment, which made less sense now that they've selected a location for the Gerrard TTC station that's mostly north of Gerrard.

One of the problems with expanding the KEELE Station to accommodate the 505 CARLTON streetcar (and 189 STOCKYARDS bus) are the turns at Parkside Drive and Howard Park Avenue.

From link.

From Google Maps at link:

Now they could just continue streetcars westbound on Howard Park Avenue into the High Park loop, turn around and use new eastbound tracks to northbound tracks onto Parkside Drive, as it continues northbound into an expanded KEELE Station terminal.

Southbound streetcars from KEELE Station on Parkside Drive could turn westbound on new tracks into the High Park loop, before continuing eastbound on Howard Park Avenue.

ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Route_diversions/501_Mar_TM.jsp

501 will divert this weekend via Church, King, Parialment EB, and Parialment, King, Church, Richmond, and Victoria WB. Nice chance to see CLRVs on King!

Back