News   Apr 30, 2024
 100     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 219     2 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 675     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

Because Toronto continues to use single-ended streetcars and loops, it can't use crossover tracks (permanent or temporary) to short turn at construction sights.

The TTC should look into the 60-100 optional streetcars being double-ended.

Aren't the new cars double ended?

Because Toronto continues to use single-ended streetcars and loops, it can't use crossover tracks (permanent or temporary) to short turn at construction sights.

The TTC should look into the 60-100 optional streetcars being double-ended.

the optional streetcars should be double ended to allow for a simpler setup in the Union tunnel for the Waterfront plans.

the optional streetcars should be double ended to allow for a simpler setup in the Union tunnel for the Waterfront plans.

The option will not be used as per TTC board decision. Any new streetcars will be from a new, and at the moment unfunded, tender and can be for any specification desired.

The option will not be used as per TTC board decision. Any new streetcars will be from a new, and at the moment unfunded, tender and can be for any specification desired.

By "TTC board", you mean the members who do NOT use public transit. IE. Denzil Minnan-Wong (from link).

Ten things Denzil Minnan-Wong can’t live without

The outspoken city councillor—and Toronto’s backup mayor—shares the 10 things he can’t live without

My car
I’m a car guy. I used to have a Porsche 928 S4 and a BMW 328. Those days are gone (I’m a family man now), but I love driving alone in my Subaru Forester. I come into the city from North York every morning and watch the sun glint off the towers...

DO NOT make the Green P meters accept Presto.
If they could access the stored cash portion of the card, without having to phone home, that would speed up transactions significantly. Assuming that it's cost-effective for the city, and works (okay, those are big assumptions) what's the downside?

If they could access the stored cash portion of the card, without having to phone home, that would speed up transactions significantly. Assuming that it's cost-effective for the city, and works (okay, those are big assumptions) what's the downside?

If they're replacing the electronics, they could install LTE radios and move off the 2G network to achieve much faster processing time for all card types.

Older power hungry electronics + small solar panels for power are likely why they're quite slow; cellular will be completely powered down when not in use versus standby (which jumps to active quite quickly) in modern gear.

Last edited:
2G network? I guess they'll have to do something, that's shutting down in around 2020, unless the schedule has changed (again).

2G network? I guess they'll have to do something, that's shutting down in around 2020, unless the schedule has changed (again).

The original units were. I don't really know anything more recent but it certainly feels like the technical implementation is unchanged, even if the network has.

Implementing Presto is a non-trivial modification to the current hardware and programming. Some of the assumptions made in that programming likely no longer apply, and the current performance issues can be solved by changing the guts with or without Presto. Precise ParkLink, the maker of the units, only appears to have 2 big customers (Green P and Metrolinx); if Green P doesn't require an overhaul for performance then they're probably not going to volunteer.

That said, mobile pay apps with removal of streetside tickets sales seem to be where many cities want to end up.

Last edited:

Back