1.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 297     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 841     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

For CLRVs or PCCs?

I believe that this isn't true.

I owe everyone an apology. Chalk this up to the Mandela effect.
Screenshot_20180725-212225_Twitter.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180725-212225_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20180725-212225_Twitter.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 479
Wth the Humber Loop in operation again, what is it, only 7 streetcars are scheduled to run through each way each day now? All other passengers must transfer here? I've noticed Queen streetcars leaving the loop at irregular intervals, so if the reason for cutting the 501 in half here is to bring more consistent service to the line, no one is ensuring that's happening.

IMG_4365.jpg

One good thing: the tunnel under the Gardiner and rail corridor is paved now, so TTC buses could use the loop if need be. Oh, that and the sidewalk was widened. Two good things.

IMG_4364.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4364.jpg
    IMG_4364.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_4365.jpg
    IMG_4365.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 481
Wth the Humber Loop in operation again, what is it, only 7 streetcars are scheduled to run through each way each day now? All other passengers must transfer here? I've noticed Queen streetcars leaving the loop at irregular intervals, so if the reason for cutting the 501 in half here is to bring more consistent service to the line, no one is ensuring that's happening.

One good thing: the tunnel under the Gardiner and rail corridor is paved now, so TTC buses could use the loop if need be. Oh, that and the sidewalk was widened. Two good things.

That's the TTC for you. I try not to hate on them too often, but do they have a secret mission statement that states they should force passengers to transfer as many times as possible? Even post-Byford, short turns are still an enormous problem, and the TTC needs to start using more of the disused streetcar tracks. Contary to what they seem to believe, a streetcar doesn't have to reach/terminate at Bloor for anyone to use it.

To put it mildly, the TTC seems to enjoy messing around with the 501. It's honestly one of, if not, the most poorly managed surface route in the entire network. Everyone already knows what the solution is, but the TTC is just incapable and inept and providing the solution.

Tonight—an hour or so ago—when my 501 pulled into the Humber Loop (from where I start my walk home) you could hear the squeal of a Long Branch-bound streetcar coming from the tunnel… so it had just left, and everyone going through from my car probably had a 15 minute or longer wait for the next one… all because they (TTC drivers) have no clue when the next streetcar is arriving, and the TTC has no policy to try to make transfers as painless as possible. In this day and age, that's disgraceful.

^The thing is, half the time either streetcars on the 501 (Humber Loop-Neville Park) or 501L (Humber Loop-Long Branch) are late for one reason or another. As a result this frequently leads to missed connections and extensive/unnecessarily long wait times.

When the TTC put supervisors at Humber Loop before the whole reconstruction project, you should have seen how efficient things were. It was almost like clock work, with the streetcars from both branches arriving in time to make connections. The only time the TTC does something about the 501 is when there is a increased level of complaints, with the end result being supervisors placed on the route for a couple months before they slowly fade into the sunset and the pathetic service gradually ramping up all over again.

To call their current operations along Lake Shore and Queen "service" is an embarrassment in and of itself. The TTC should give riders there a 50% discount just for having to endure that level of garbage.

To put it mildly, the TTC seems to enjoy messing around with the 501. It's honestly one of, if not, the most poorly managed surface route in the entire network. Everyone already knows what the solution is, but the TTC is just incapable and inept and providing the solution.

So what is this solution that everyone is aware of except for the people at the TTC?

Of course the 501 is going to have route management issues - it's an extremely long route and it's a streetcar, which means delays pile on a lot more than they would on a bus route.

So what is this solution that everyone is aware of except for the people at the TTC?

Of course the 501 is going to have route management issues - it's an extremely long route and it's a streetcar, which means delays pile on a lot more than they would on a bus route.
You're buying the typical BS the TTC like to use as an excuse for not running adequate service. The solution is plain and simply better line management.

Line Management is practically non-existent at the TTC, despite what they try and tell commuters. The 501 has continuously run into numerous problems after the route split on both the Humber-Lake Shore branch, sand the Humber-Neville Park branch. @interchange42 pointed out one of the problems with the missed connections at Humber Loop and that's just one of many issues the route has. Other issues include: bunching west of Humber Loop where the traffic doesn't and should've have an impact on operations, and regular gaps in service which resulting in 20+ mins wait times.

If we look back a few months ago when buses replaced streetcars from Sunnyside Loop to Long Branch, there were frequent complaints of -brace yourself for it- buses bunching and regular service gaps of 20-30 mins. Again, this is along the section of the route where traffic shouldnt have an impact on operations. During that same period of time at night, it was very common to have waits of close to an hour just to catch the connecting 501L bus from Ellis that would take customers the rest of the way to Long Branch.

The common theme here is that no matter if it is a streetcar or bus, the TTC has issues properly managing service even when a route a split and the operations are in large part independent of one another. I wont even get into the other long routes that the TTC operates, because in general the longer the route, the more pathetic the line management is. The exception to that rule are the few routes that the TTC regularly monitors (ie: 29 Dufferin, and 7 Bathurst).

Now it will be interesting to see if the new VISION system will rectify a lot of these issues since operators will finally have a way to communicate with each other, and they will know if there are issues with other parts of the system. Transit control will also be able to keep in contract with operators of any specific route, compared to the antique TRUMP system which is incapable of doing all that. It should be noted that there have been rumors that the TTC will be moving route management of most bus routes from their respective garages, over to transit control at Hillcrest so it remains to see how this will impact operations when and if it happens.

Speaking of the 501, is appears that the TTC may be a regular lurker of UT. Look what I just spotted today @ Kipling and Lake Shore:

IMG_20180727_1712162[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180727_1712162[1].jpg
    IMG_20180727_1712162[1].jpg
    250 KB · Views: 394
Tonight—an hour or so ago—when my 501 pulled into the Humber Loop (from where I start my walk home) you could hear the squeal of a Long Branch-bound streetcar coming from the tunnel… so it had just left, and everyone going through from my car probably had a 15 minute or longer wait for the next one… all because they (TTC drivers) have no clue when the next streetcar is arriving, and the TTC has no policy to try to make transfers as painless as possible. In this day and age, that's disgraceful.

It's funny how transit service in HBS gets worse as the neighbourhood grows and adds thousands of residents.

Is there anywhere else in the city where transit service and population are so completely off ratio?

Is there anywhere else in the city where transit service and population are so completely off ratio?

The north west corner is probably pretty close. Dixon Road has a lower density but is also has lower levels of service; the ratio is likely pretty close. They're also a minimum of 80 minutes from Union.

I think GO has a role in solving both issues; much more frequent GO service (15 minute is fine for off-peak) + some kind of neighbourhood bus.

I think GO has a role in solving both issues; much more frequent GO service (15 minute is fine for off-peak) + some kind of neighbourhood bus.
Only thing is, GO couldnt care less about providing bus service within Toronto, because the TTC starts to whine and complain the minute they even think about it.

At the very least, GO should be providing point to point service between their hubs in Toronto (ie: Yorkdale, Renforth, Scarborough Town Centre, Finch, Union, and soon Kipling). I really dont care what the TTC has to say about it, as they have been dropping the ball for decades with respect to certain routes in the city.

I would also like to see 511 service all the way up to St Clair West. The additional connection between Lines 1 and 2 along Bathurst would add much-needed redundancy (i.e. during trackwork) and for some, a reduction in required number of transfers.
From link:
Line 1: Vaughan Metropolitan Centre to St George closure on December 1 and 2
There will be no subway service on Line 1 between Vaughan Metropolitan Centre and St George stations on December 1 and 2 due to signal upgrades.​

So the 511 Bathurst streetcar could run to St. Clair West Station on December 1 & 2. Don't see it happening, yet.

That would be interesting to see. Mainly because it would be interesting to see how the TTC manages the 511 being that long for a weekend. Though, someone said that there is a problems with CLRV'S running up that hill, so, I'm not so sure if this will happen.

That would be interesting to see. Mainly because it would be interesting to see how the TTC manages the 511 being that long for a weekend. Though, someone said that there is a problems with CLRV'S running up that hill, so, I'm not so sure if this will happen.
They're not going to change everyone's work schedules for a subway closure. If they did, they would have ran busy routes like the 52G to Lawrence, 32D to Eglinton, 118 to York Mills and etc. Instead they force everyone off and run a different shuttle in between.

Back