News   May 10, 2024
 749     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 889     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 937     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

Steve Munro says Dundas/Broadview intersection is being rebuilt as well as the tangent track to Broadview and Gerrard. Is Broadview and Gerrard being re-built too?
It is rather sad that you seem unable to spell (or use spell check) AND cannot read either. Steve Munro, whom you quote, answers your question in his first paragraph.

"The first of three intersection renewals on the Carlton and Dundas routes began on May 14 at Gerrard and Parliament Streets. Intersections at Broadview/Dundas and Broadview/Gerrard will follow in June and July, as well as track renewal on Broadview between Dundas and Gerrard. Planned renewal of the track from north of Gerrard to Hogarth (the north end of Riverdale Park) has been deferred to a future year, as yet unknown." See: https://stevemunro.ca/2018/05/16/track-replacement-at-gerrard-parliament-streets/

I got drilled in a later post, but I couldn't find that quote when I looked.

I remember going to the scene of the fire in June of 2013 which caused the overhead to be taken down in that intersection. Wasn't the entire intersection re-built that summer too? That is why I asked the question that I did.

Steve Munro has moved his website and I can't find any reference to that except the post on rebuilding the overhead after the fire.

Since Toronto is laid out in a grid, would it make sense to have a streetcar along all major streets? Even along Yonge or Bloor, having a streetcar that stops more often could do well in adding ridership to the area, and may even alleviate some ridership from the subways.

Since Toronto is laid out in a grid, would it make sense to have a streetcar along all major streets? Even along Yonge or Bloor, having a streetcar that stops more often could do well in adding ridership to the area, and may even alleviate some ridership from the subways.
This is where one can argue over the benefits of LRT -- The LRT the city wants to build, should be built -- but to TTC guage, and on streets like Dufferin, Jane, Vic park, Sherbourne, Finch, York Mills, etc. It's like expanding a tram network, and it makes a lot of sense. The City really needs to expand the streetcar network downtown and throughout the city. People don't realize how beneficial they actually are.

This is where one can argue over the benefits of LRT -- The LRT the city wants to build, should be built -- but to TTC guage, and on streets like Dufferin, Jane, Vic park, Sherbourne, Finch, York Mills, etc. It's like expanding a tram network, and it makes a lot of sense. The City really needs to expand the streetcar network downtown and throughout the city. People don't realize how beneficial they actually are.

Just like GO is for mass movement of people on long trips, the Subways could be the same thing with Streetcars/LRT feeding the subways. Forcing many 4 lane roads down to 2 with the tracks taking lanes away is not a bad thing.

Its a shame the TTC got rid of the Scarboro Streetcar since it would have been a perfect jumping off point for Streetcars in Scarborough. Hell imagine if we still had the Scarborough Interurban, that thing went all the way to what is today Morningside and Kingston Road.

Its a shame the TTC got rid of the Scarboro Streetcar since it would have been a perfect jumping off point for Streetcars in Scarborough. Hell imagine if we still had the Scarborough Interurban, that thing went all the way to what is today Morningside and Kingston Road.

They could extend the Kingston Road streetcar along Kingston Rd.

I would also like to see 511 service all the way up to St Clair West. The additional connection between Lines 1 and 2 along Bathurst would add much-needed redundancy (i.e. during trackwork) and for some, a reduction in required number of transfers.

I would also like to see 511 service all the way up to St Clair West. The additional connection between Lines 1 and 2 along Bathurst would add much-needed redundancy (i.e. during trackwork) and for some, a reduction in required number of transfers.
Will not see it as its an operational problem.

The only way it could be done is looping west to Vaughan and Back down. It would drop off and pickup riders at the westbound Bathurst Stop only. Even this is an operational problem. It will require another transfer as well.

Back