News   Apr 17, 2024
 243     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 266     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.7K     1 

TTC: Streetcar Network

The TTC is a public service, paid for through public monies. If the level of service being delivered is not satisfactory, people are entitled to voice their thoughts accordingly. I am no "jerk" who "thinks that they know better", by the way, I am a railfan and historian and have spent 15 years of my life extensively documenting the TTC system. In so far as anyone could be considered so, I considered myself at a time to be a "fan" of the TTC. However, my appreciation for transportation and infrastructure does not preclude me from criticizing it, or the people running it, as and when I see fit.

There are a lot of problems in this city that the TTC has no control over, yes. And there are things that the TTC has that should be praised: their front line workers are, by and large, very good. Their operators put up with a lot of shit from people taking their anger out on the wrong source, not to mention having to deal with asinine levels of traffic, and very poor scheduling on some routes which seems to eliminate the possibility of so much as a bathroom break at the end of the line. Their maintenance personnel are also very good, even older vehicles appear to be, from a passenger perspective, to be in reasonable condition. They managed to keep the CLRVs going long after they should have been put out to pasture, and the TTC's sadly meagre fleet of historical vehicles has been restored very lovingly; each of those vehicles is a gem that Toronto as a city can be proud of. The only problem is that there should be much more of them.

However, it is extremely clear that there are a lot of things going wrong at the TTC that are entirely their fault. The variety of asinine operating procedures that slow down the streetcar network considerably, and seem to exist solely to undermine the legitimacy of streetcars as a viable form of public transport (something which has been very successful) are the biggest embarrassment to come out of this organization in recent years. Why can only one streetcar enter a stop on the King transit mall? Why does every vehicle have to stop and inspect a switch visually before proceeding? Why does every vehicle have to crawl through said switches? Why can't two streetcars pass through special work at the same time? Why did they slow down the Flexity door speed around the time Covid broke out? Why is it that intersections are getting rebuilt without the curves that were suggested for said intersections years ago?

Then there is of course the legendary, decades old problem of the TTC's inability to manage headways. Why is there no one watching the system map and instructing operators to hold when vehicles become bunched together? Why are 2, 3, 4, 5 packs of buses leaving the TERMINALS together instead of being split up there? A high school student could look at a route map and identify where vehicles should be held in order to balance out service, why can't the well paid professionals at the TTC do the same?

But of course, you don't need to be a railfan or transportation buff to criticize the TTC. If we want to encourage usage of public transport, we need to make the transit system attractive to use. If you ride down the Spadina streetcar line, on straight, private, empty track, failing to crack 25 km/h, why would anyone find this to be an attractive form of transit? Is this the best form that our transit system can take? What about having to wait 40 minutes on a cold winter night for service that should run every 10? At what point do we throw our hands up and say "This is ridiculous, walking would be faster!"

If it makes you feel any better, Metrolinx is no better. It's as though Toronto is cursed. I'm not asking for a miracle here. I want a transit system run by people who don't hate the very idea of public transit.
Honestly is the best post I've seen today on here. It's one thing to be critical but it's another thing to make a joke that makes you look like an ass to other people which makes your message get lost. That's what my problem with that post was in particular because it was just someone being an ass so that they can have their moment of fame.

Last edited:
Honestly is the best post I've seen today on here. It's one thing to be critical but it's another thing to make a joke that makes you look like an ass to other people which makes your message get lost. That's what my problem with that post was in particular because it was just someone being an ass so that they can have their moment of fame.
As @T3G mentioned, if the TTC doesnt like jokes made at their expense, then operate your service better and clearly communicate with the public what/where/and how service is being detoured when there's construction.

Their website is a half-baked mess which doesnt properly explain/show many route detours properly, routes that have replacement buses have been operated like a complete joke where there is virtually no route management, construction projects are dragging on longer then initially planned for (yes some of that can be attributed to the city or hydro), etc. I've only touched on the construction/route diversion aspect of the TTC's operations, @T3G has noted some of the regular issues this poorly run organization operates with on a day to day basis. Quite frankly, why would anyone defend with or put up with crap they shouldnt have to?

Most of us here have ideas that the TTC could use to improve their service, the problem is when you have management who is either oblivious to, or frankly too stupid to implement some of the ideas that have been called out for years. And they're the ones being paid handsomely for sitting on their hands and doing absolutely nothing to improve things. Not even talking about some of the commission members who dont see a problem with how management is doing their jobs.

As @T3G mentioned, if the TTC doesnt like jokes made at their expense, then operate your service better and clearly communicate with the public what/where/and how service is being detoured when there's construction.

Their website is a half-baked mess which doesnt properly explain/show many route detours properly, routes that have replacement buses have been operated like a complete joke where there is virtually no route management, construction projects are dragging on longer then initially planned for (yes some of that can be attributed to the city or hydro), etc. I've only touched on the construction/route diversion aspect of the TTC's operations, @T3G has noted some of the regular issues this poorly run organization operates with on a day to day basis. Quite frankly, why would anyone defend with or put up with crap they shouldnt have to?

Most of us here have ideas that the TTC could use to improve their service, the problem is when you have management who is either oblivious to, or frankly too stupid to implement some of the ideas that have been called out for years. And they're the ones being paid handsomely for sitting on their hands and doing absolutely nothing to improve things. Not even talking about some of the commission members who dont see a problem with how management is doing their jobs.
And what does this all have to do with members of the public who have too much time on their hands who make up a stupid route map as a joke and make it look official and post it somewhere. I read through one of the Reddit posts and that's what happened with it. I personally think that is absolutely unnecessary and too far as a joke because someone who doesn't understand what it's about might actually take it seriously.

And what does this all have to do with members of the public who have too much time on their hands who make up a stupid route map as a joke and make it look official and post it somewhere. I read through one of the Reddit posts and that's what happened with it.
I think you’re missing the point that the TTC’s own detour messages are often unclear, and detour route management inconsistent. The route poster is giving voice to the ridiculousness of the situation.

I would be happy to see funny posters along these lines in this forum. I appreciate the humor, and I’m happy I have the ability to laugh at them - even as I’m frustrated about the state of transit.

I think you’re missing the point that the TTC’s own detour messages are often unclear, and detour route management inconsistent. The route poster is giving voice to the ridiculousness of the situation.

I would be happy to see funny posters along these lines in this forum. I appreciate the humor, and I’m happy I have the ability to laugh at them - even as I’m frustrated about the state of transit.
No i think you are missing my point. Not everyone finds stuff like that funny.

New video up, this one looking at the history of the Dundas Streetcar. One of the things I found interesting here was the DUNDAS Streetcar continued to operate beyond Dundas West Station to Runnymede Loop up to 1968 before being cut back to Dundas West. As well I would imagine the TTC would love to have City Hall Loop back.

No i think you are missing my point. Not everyone finds stuff like that funny.
Not everyone = you. You seem to be the only person in this discussion who doesn't think that's funny.

New video up, this one looking at the history of the Dundas Streetcar. One of the things I found interesting here was the DUNDAS Streetcar continued to operate beyond Dundas West Station to Runnymede Loop up to 1968 before being cut back to Dundas West. As well I would imagine the TTC would love to have City Hall Loop back.

Thanks for the videos! Always informative.

Then there is of course the legendary, decades old problem of the TTC's inability to manage headways. Why is there no one watching the system map and instructing operators to hold when vehicles become bunched together? Why are 2, 3, 4, 5 packs of buses leaving the TERMINALS together instead of being split up there? A high school student could look at a route map and identify where vehicles should be held in order to balance out service, why can't the well paid professionals at the TTC do the same?
I worked in the TTC Customer Service Centre for a year. The route supervisors are watching; the fault is that operators don't listen and basically ignore any edicts from management. We'd have repeat cases from riders, for example, of issues on the cross-border routes where the supervisors and management post notice about issues to no avail.

I worked in the TTC Customer Service Centre for a year. The route supervisors are watching; the fault is that operators don't listen and basically ignore any edicts from management. We'd have repeat cases from riders, for example, of issues on the cross-border routes where the supervisors and management post notice about issues to no avail.

I can verify this.

My father was an operator from January 1989 to January 2019. He has dozens of stories where the route supervisors knew nothing of the individual routes and would send operators on obscure diversions.

In other cases, the route supervisors would not know the specifics of the routes and how their decisions affect them. For example, there may be pinch points on the route leading an operator leaving the ends early.

An operator may leave the end early due to high passenger volume leading to delays getting to the other end. The Route Supervisor would tell them to leave at their designated time but a seasoned operator would leave early to ensure he is not late getting to the other end of the line and keep the schedule.

My point is that veteran operators know their stuff. They know how to run the lines better than some route supervisors.

If this is the case, shouldn't the ops who play games be brought into the office to explain their behaviour?

I'm not anti-union by any means, in fact I am vehemently pro-union, but the TTC union has enough clout to protect operators against the slightest hint of consequence for not doing the absolute bare minimum of their job?

I'm not anti-union by any means, in fact I am vehemently pro-union, but the TTC union has enough clout to protect operators against the slightest hint of consequence for not doing the absolute bare minimum of their job?

If there is a loophole, a union rep at ATU 113 will find it. Even operators who are fired sometimes get rehired

Back