News   Jul 09, 2024
 610     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 566     0 

TTC: Stations that Need Improvements

What's odd is that the floors seem worse in the places that don't see regular foot traffic. The corners, the far end of a platform.

And at York Mills, if you want filthy hands, enter/exit by the secondary south way, not the primary north way...

Yesterday I say the entrance to main street station being power washed. At night...

What's odd is that the floors seem worse in the places that don't see regular foot traffic. The corners, the far end of a platform.

I've seen bucket and mop out recently. I can't recall the last time I saw a proper floor cleaning machine ... I seem to recall seeing them regularly when I used the subway in Montreal daily ...

... surely the TTC doesn't mop subway platform floors with a mop and bucket ...

They do have floor cleaning machines that go around. That might explain why the corners look dirtier as the machines can't get right in there.
The mop and bucket brigades clean the station walls, or any spills/vomit on the floor.

EDIT: I have to ask... what size coffee cups are people carrying on the subway? Sometimes I swear it looks like a gallon of coffee has been dumped on the floor.

Last edited:
28 minutes to College station

Riding time of 28 minutes from York Mills to College off-peak? I don't think so - you can go from Finch to College in less than that on a weekday with delays included.

AoD

Last edited:
Riding time of 28 minutes from York Mills to College off-peak? I don't think so - you can go from Finch to College in less than that on a weekday with delays included.

AoD

Agreed. I regularly rode from Finch to St. Andrew in ~30 minutes consistently enough that I was never more than 5 minutes early or late for work.

Yesterday I say the entrance to main street station being power washed. At night...
Yes, I noticed that Sunday late afternoon.

I also noticed that the shelter outside at the 506 stop at Main Station smelled of urine. Not sure if they power washed that after I left or not.

They do have floor cleaning machines that go around. That might explain why the corners look dirtier as the machines can't get right in there.
Though when I said corners, I meant a couple of feet, not right in the corner ...

Do they have enough floor cleaning machines? Some of the floors look like it's been a long time since they got there.

EDIT: I have to ask... what size coffee cups are people carrying on the subway? Sometimes I swear it looks like a gallon of coffee has been dumped on the floor.

Something I had to deal with getting on the subway at Kipling. Took up nearly a quarter of the car's entire floor. Sheesh.

(mind you, the washroom at that station isn't any better, at the very least.)

This AM 9:30, 21 minutes, This PM 3:15 24 minutes. I am including time waiting on the platform waiting for a train, are you?

This AM 9:30, 21 minutes, This PM 3:15 24 minutes. I am including time waiting on the platform waiting for a train, are you?
18 minutes is the scheduled travel time without waiting.

Previously you said it was 28 minutes without waiting for the train. Now it's 21-24 minutes including waiting for the train?

Originally Posted by spider

18 minutes is the scheduled travel time without waiting.

Previously you said it was 28 minutes without waiting for the train. Now it's 21-24 minutes including waiting for the train?

Yes, that is correct. Some days are faster than others but none are faster than driving.

If you've gone by Pape station lately, you might have noticed that the station is much brighter at platform level. It has recieved new fluorescent lights, and triangular shaped cases that allow more light to go through. Half of the eastbound platform is yet to be done. A small detail that makes a big difference.

If you've gone by Pape station lately, you might have noticed that the station is much brighter at platform level. It has recieved new fluorescent lights, and triangular shaped cases that allow more light to go through. Half of the eastbound platform is yet to be done. A small detail that makes a big difference.
They seems to have been put in last week. Really makes the place seem less dingy.

^ It appears so nfitz, I saw the old ones being taken down last week. You can really see the difference between the old and new fixtures on the eastbound platform, nice contrast between the the old and new.

^^^

The Pape tile is not being taken down, though, maybe destroyed, they are going to build (according to the plans I was made aware of)....a steel bracket system, anchored into the existing tile, and the new tiles will 'hang' on it......or be latched some how.

That said, I really can't say I find anything redeeming about the current design....but to each their own.

Back