News   Sep 24, 2021
 868     1 
News   Sep 24, 2021
 1.3K     3 
News   Sep 24, 2021
 1.2K     0 

TTC: Scarborough Subway Extension (formerly LRT replacement) (City of Toronto, Design Phase)

44 North

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ford basically handcuffed the opposition parties with this transit plan. He gave his supporters what they wanted the most and threw the ultimate wrench into the opposition by giving the areas of his biggest haters what they've been begging their preferred parties for. I don't see any of these lines proposed being overturned once they are closing in on construction.

Why?

*they are now beyond urgent for both the SSE and OL for obvious reasons -this is key
*they are heavily supported locally
*the SSE will now have stops and this needed to be fixed
*the OL will actually provide relief going to eglinton and this needed to be fixed
*developers are at the table
*there is no opposition to play filibuster games against Ford this time
*the financing required to build proper lines can be accessed at the Provincial level
*any other party that cancels will have to own it knowing exactly the critical stage we are at

Ford will either become a hero across entire City or another party will cut the ribbons and take the credit when these lines get built. The slight delay sucks but I expect it all to be for the best as far as these projects are concerned

Hm, if it is true that Michael Schabas is working at Metrolinx again, which seems to be the case, it sort of makes sense to expect to see SSE reversed to the pre-SLRT plan to upgrade Line 3. If it can be built quicker and for less money, and savings could go into another area project like reviving Sheppard, it would gain a lot of traction both at QP and the local level. I wouldn't rule it out, and not because any fiscal conservative mandate. Rather because Schabas Scarb Wye plan was actually pretty good.

Also scaling back grand plans is as much a tradition in these parts as presenting them.

Bureaucromancer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hm, if it is true that Michael Schabas is working at Metrolinx again, which seems to be the case, it sort of makes sense to expect to see SSE reversed to the pre-SLRT plan to upgrade Line 3. If it can be built quicker and for less money, and savings could go into another area project like reviving Sheppard, it would gain a lot of traction both at QP and the local level. I wouldn't rule it out, and not because any fiscal conservative mandate. Rather because Schabas Scarb Wye plan was actually pretty good.

Also scaling back grand plans is as much a tradition in these parts as presenting them.

As much as I'd like to imagine it happening, I have a raelly hard time seeing ford accepting anything that reintroduces the Kennedy transfer. MAYBE if it were through routed with Eglinton, but that has a lot of issues, including legitimately being bottlenecked by the surface section in such a configuration. That whole Scarborough BRANCH of Smart-Track seems more like the kind of thing that Ford would buy into, but especially if taken as a branch of the Ontario Line gets us back to requiring the freight bypass and puts us WAY beyond the timelines the SRT can be kept alive for. We're stuck with the subway unless it gets delays so much that it's still a live issue after Ford leaves office IMO - and if that happens we're just generally screwed anyway.

narduch

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ford basically handcuffed the opposition parties with this transit plan. He gave his supporters what they wanted the most and threw the ultimate wrench into the opposition by giving the areas of his biggest haters what they've been begging their preferred parties for. I don't see any of these lines proposed being overturned once they are closing in on construction.

Why?

*they are now beyond urgent for both the SSE and OL for obvious reasons -this is key
*they are heavily supported locally
*the SSE will now have stops and this needed to be fixed
*the OL will actually provide relief going to eglinton and this needed to be fixed
*developers are at the table
*there is no opposition to play filibuster games against Ford this time
*the financing required to build proper lines can be accessed at the Provincial level
*any other party that cancels will have to own it knowing exactly the critical stage we are at

Ford will either become a hero across entire City or another party will cut the ribbons and take the credit when these lines get built. The slight delay sucks but I expect it all to be for the best as far as these projects are concerned

I'm not sure how you can still be optimistic about this project after Ford's announcement.

He basically gave DRL/OL and Yonge-North priority over this project.

The new delay means it can be delayed even further now.

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
We're stuck with the subway unless it gets delays so much that it's still a live issue after Ford leaves office IMO - and if that happens we're just generally screwed anyway.

Based on the timelines in Ford's announcement SSE will still be in the design stage during the next provincial election.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. This thing was announced back in 2013 and after 6 years there is not even real progress in design.
No real progress? They are hundreds of millions into the assessment and design and were ready to start tendering the tunneling work.

Also the current city plan may be that old, but it's years more since they announced the first and second LRT solutions, and even longer since they announced they were going to fix it by spending less than $200 million to modify the curve/tunnel to handle larger cars, and extend the platforms for larger trains.

The Conservative plan to defer the line until after the DRL and even the Yonge extension shows where their priorities are. A 4-year delay and uploading the subway, simply pushes the go/no go decision onto the next provincial government.

hw621

Member Bio
Reaction score
No real progress? They are hundreds of millions into the assessment and design and were ready to start tendering the tunneling work.

Also the current city plan may be that old, but it's years more since they announced the first and second LRT solutions, and even longer since they announced they were going to fix it by spending less than $200 million to modify the curve/tunnel to handle larger cars, and extend the platforms for larger trains.

The Conservative plan to defer the line until after the DRL and even the Yonge extension shows where their priorities are. A 4-year delay and uploading the subway, simply pushes the go/no go decision onto the next provincial government.
there are a lot of assessment, announcement, are ready to...are going to.... if we actually get the shovel in the ground, or have signed a contract, DoFo could not have done much to it, like the Hurontario and Hamilton LRTs...

narduch

Member Bio
Reaction score
there are a lot of assessment, announcement, are ready to...are going to.... if we actually get the shovel in the ground, or have signed a contract, DoFo could not have done much to it, like the Hurontario and Hamilton LRTs...

He could have kept the current plan and could have had construction started before the next election.

Now this line is essentially up in the air. That 2030 date is nearly meaningless.

Bureaucromancer

Member Bio
Reaction score
Based on the timelines in Ford's announcement SSE will still be in the design stage during the next provincial election.

On the one hand, then we're probably just screwed. On the other, and more seriously, I really wouldn't put much hope on defeating Ford after a single term.

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is there a good image or Google Maps satellite view that shows a comparison to where the STC Station is located with the one-stop design vs the three stop design? With the three stop design, the STC station shifts to the east and is oriented more on a north-south axis, right?

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is there a good image or Google Maps satellite view that shows a comparison to where the STC Station is located with the one-stop design vs the three stop design? With the three stop design, the STC station shifts to the east and is oriented more on a north-south axis, right?
I thought the “old” Scarborough Centre Station design allow for extensions North, so it won’t need to move east a bit for the current plan.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought the “old” Scarborough Centre Station design allow for extensions North, so it won’t need to move east a bit for the current plan.
It won't need to move. The earlier 3-station plan though did have a different location. Not sure why the province would move the station back to that old location though ...

ssiguy2

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think the Scar subway extension is a huge waste of money but if they are going to go forward then Ford's plan is the best one. A one-stop subway extension was beyond stupid and at least this one takes the line to Sheppard. If they are going to spend the money anyway then they should spend more and actually make the line useful to someone instead of just being an STC express.

Neutrino

Member Bio
Reaction score
People bitch about the Kennedy transfer, but London, which I visited last week, has also got some lengthy transfers and no one complains.