News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 852     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Ha! I guess I should've read the rest of your post. I didn't realize you were so young. I always was under the impression you were an older forum member - which is a compliment.

Yes same here.

Haha thanks for the compliments. I don't believe I'm the only young person here. :)

Last edited:
I live downtown and only use the TTC two or three times a week, so it's hard for me to justify the $108 every month for the thing.
$108 (for the student). But if you subscribe (MDP) it becomes ($98). And with a pass, you qualify for the 15% tax credit (assuming you pay taxes ...), which brings the cost down to $83.80 a month.

Still with tickets only $1.85 you'd have to take 45 trips a month to pay off - about 11 a week.

The numbers on the adult pass are better, with the MDP cost of $122.50, the after tax credit cost is $104.13. so you only need 39 trips (at $2.70 a token) to pay for it. About 9 a week.

but as a student its unlikely you would need a pass 12 months a year, I'm only buying 5 metropasses for school this year. (for October, December, January, and March I won't buy one because of reading weeks and winter holidays, and none for the summer months. Hell it probably isn't even worth it for February as the month is so short as well) and of course for me I'm not even eligible for student tickets anyway.

Last edited:
but as a student its unlikely you would need a pass 12 months a year, I'm only buying 5 metropasses for school this year. (for October, December, January, and March I won't buy one because of reading weeks and winter holidays, and none for the summer months. Hell it probably isn't even worth it for February as the month is so short as well) and of course for me I'm not even eligible for student tickets anyway.

It depends on what you do, I guess. Back when I was still in school I worked almost any time I wasn't in class. Therefore, the MDP made tons of sense for me.

The fact that I could then go out in the evenings and weekends at virtually no extra cost was a bonus.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

$108 (for the student). But if you subscribe (MDP) it becomes ($98). And with a pass, you qualify for the 15% tax credit (assuming you pay taxes ...), which brings the cost down to $83.80 a month.

Still with tickets only $1.85 you'd have to take 45 trips a month to pay off - about 11 a week.

The numbers on the adult pass are better, with the MDP cost of $122.50, the after tax credit cost is $104.13. so you only need 39 trips (at $2.70 a token) to pay for it. About 9 a week.

Thanks for this nfitz. Wasn't aware of the tax credit.

It depends on what you do, I guess. Back when I was still in school I worked almost any time I wasn't in class. Therefore, the MDP made tons of sense for me.

The fact that I could then go out in the evenings and weekends at virtually no extra cost was a bonus.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Yeah I'll definitely be working. I suppose the location of the work will dictate if I get a Metropass. I live downtown, so it's probable that I'll end up walking or biking if it's downtown. Especially in the summer months since I hardly use the TTC unless I need to visit the suburbs.

Nice to see I'm not the only student here ;)

Last edited:
Doug Ford wants streetcars off downtown streets

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...rd_wants_streetcars_off_downtown_streets.html

“Nothing’s more frustrating for people driving downtown than to get stuck behind a streetcar on Dundas, on King or on Queen,” Councillor Ford told reporters Wednesday. “I believe we need those extended, articulated buses.” --- Ford said it was “unfortunate” the city had ordered 204 new light rail vehicles back in 2009 to replace the aging streetcar fleet. However, he isn’t advocating cancelling deliveries of the new vehicles.

- TTC chief executive Andy Byford said there would be “huge costs” to amending the $1.2 billion streetcar order, and it could set back transit modernization by a decade. Byford said the new streetcars would be more environmentally friendly than diesel buses. --- “I’m not sure people sitting in cafes on Queen St. want buses belching past them every two minutes,” he said. However, the TTC boss said something must be done to improve transit flow downtown.

- If money were available, he said he’d “love” to see a subway under Queen and another north-south route, perhaps along Dufferin St. --- Ford said the recent freeze-up of streetcars boosts the case for subways. “We saw what happened the last couple of days,” he said. “All the more reason we need underground transit in this climate in Toronto.” Ford, who’s leading his brother’s campaign for re-election as mayor this fall, said subways will be a key issue.

- Byford said the existing streetcars are around 30 years old, have travelled 1.3 million kilometres each and have pneumatic braking and doors that can freeze in extreme cold. However, the new light rail vehicles from Bombardier use electric and hydraulic gear that’s less prone to freezing, he said.
Ford, who has expressed an interest in running for provincial office, took a swipe at provincial politicians who claim the city isn’t putting enough funding into transit. He noted the 2014 budget allocates $916 million for maintenance and repairs to the existing system.

streetcar.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Am I the only one here who finds busses to be almost as frustrating to drive behind as streetcars?

I'd absolutely hate to have each of our downtown streetcars replaced with 4 busses. That would truly be a disaster for drivers.

Am I the only one here who finds busses to be almost as frustrating to drive behind as streetcars?

I'd absolutely hate to have each of our downtown streetcars replaced with 4 busses. That would truly be a disaster for drivers.

Whether buses or streetcars, it will always be slow to drive on those streets, due to the narrowness, lack of turn lanes, street parking, frequent intersections, high pedestrian & bicycle traffic. Many of these characteristics make the street very nice for pedestrians however.

It could be worse with buses, the road would be completely flooded with large buses, and they might need to attempt to keep switching lanes to get to the curb and then avoid parked cars. They may not even be able to fully get to the curb lane if there are parked cars and it's a long bus, blocking both lanes anyways. There would be higher operating costs since you'd need to run way more vehicles.

Also some may not care about this, but we'd be losing one of the key characteristics of Toronto. To me, streetcars in Toronto are like elevated subways in Chicago, it's a unique thing that sets our city apart.

I would like to see either underground or elevated transit going east-west downtown for faster travel near King or Queen, however, replacing streetcars with buses is a downgrade. Especially the new streetcars. But regardless, you're right, it doesn't matter, we already ordered tons of new streetcars and repaired the tracks & wires, so the matter is settled for the next 30 years, even the Ford brothers accept that :)

Edit: Oh yeah, for those who hate the fact that the streetcars block both lanes, this could be a solution:
http://goo.gl/maps/98zSU

Using a island stop beside the track.

Last edited:
On Tuesday, January 7, 2014, the school buses were cancelled for the day. Why? Where does one see school buses during the overnight? Parking lots of schools or apartments or home driveways. Where do the TTC buses stay overnight? The majority are in garages, so they can start up in the morning.

Where do the majority of subway trains stay overnight? Outside in the subway yards. Some are indoors, but most are outside. In previous years, I heard about some trains being stored in tunnel sidings. I’m guessing that those were for done for the old trains.

Where do the majority of streetcars stay overnight? Outside in the streetcar yards. Just like the subway trains.

Our streetcars are getting old. Why did the CLRV’s and ALRV’s use air, when the A-6, A-7, A-8, A-9, A-11, A-12, A-13, and A-14′s were all-electric? Maybe it was me, but those all-electric PCC’s were a better bred than the CLRV’s and ALRV’s. Hopefully, the Bombardier Outlook streetcars have the better genes this time.

Back