News   Jul 23, 2019
 333     0 
News   Jul 23, 2019
 204     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

adeel

Member Bio
Reaction score
The only service that was removed in the area, was on roads outside of Toronto. Neither York Region nor Markham were paying TTC to provide this service, unlike every other TTC route that enters York Region.

The decision and justification were laid out in http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2013/July_24/Reports/53_Steeles_East_and_.pdf

I'm sure some Markham residents might well be inconvenienced ... though as TTC pointed out, York Region already has service on this street. Route 2 - Milliken - which also seems to avoid Milliken GO station.

Probably best to complain to your councillor. Complaining to TTC won't have any use, as TTC has little mandate to provide on-street service outside of Toronto.

As for the Steeles express bus not stopping at the GO station. Seems to me that a complaint to TTC Customer Service is in order ... stopping there seems like a no-brainer!
I know it was markham service removed...and i understand markham/york wasnt paying anything, but I feel like the ttc is cutting the nose to spite the face:

Approximately 2,300 customer-trips are made each day at stops on the 53 STEELES EAST
on-street loop on Elson Street. Some of these customers, who live on or north of Elson Street,
would have a longer walk to or from their nearest TTC bus stop, which would be on Steeles
Avenue itself. Some customers who live between Elson Street and Steeles Avenue would have
no difference in the overall distance they walk to their nearest bus stop. Approximately 390
customer-trips each day begin at stops on Elson Street to travel westbound, and these customers
would have a faster trip, because they would no longer have to travel around the loop before
heading west. Approximately 480 customer-trips each day end at westbound stops on Steeles
Avenue, between Markham Road and McCowan Road, and these customers would have a faster
trip, as they would alight from an eastbound bus on Steeles Avenue, instead of riding around the
Elson on-street loop before getting to their stop.
Approximately 700 customer-trips are made on the 53 STEELES EAST service, which currently
operates eastbound on Steeles Avenue between McCowan Road and Markham Road. These
customers would have more-frequent service. As development increases along and south of
Steeles Avenue, the number of customers who would benefit from this routing change will
increase.
This route change would have no impact on the TTC’s operating budget.
York Region Transit service is currently provided along Elson Street, and this service would
continue.

---

Its plain to me that more people are inconvenienced by this change than are better served by it. What's more, I imagine most of those inconvenienced aren't going to walk to steeles for the bus..i know its not suitable for my family...so i think that in net the ttc is just going to lose fares from this change...the rationale of yrt not paying anything is weak, and like i said speaks to the lack of integration and coordination in our transit systems that is a systemic problem

I do appreciate being linked to the report though, as I didnt know the justification before. I could understand if destinations/demand between mccowan and markham was really there, but coming from someone thats actually used this bus, there certainly isnt to justify this change.

Being a city of toronto taxpayer as well, how can I voice my concern the next time a meeting on this is held?

lets be honest...yrt other than viva sucks..its more expensive and less frequent...and the 2 milliken takes a strange route to finch station that takes it north/west before coming back south

Being in Markham, I guess ill try getting in touch with my councilor

Last edited:

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Wait until late 2014 to see 2015 date.

Then starting in 2015 until 2017, almost every other weekend the Eglinton Station will be taken out of service for rebuilding the north end platform for the Eglinton Crosstown station with shuttle buses being used. You may get more than a weekend closure up to a week at a time during the summer months.

Next year you got the Eglinton Week Closure to deal with rebuilding the tracks & roadbed between it and Davisvalle Station.

Union Station will be taken out in 2015 to deal with the change over for the new northbound platform for Yonge line.

BurlOak

Member Bio
Reaction score
Wait until late 2014 to see 2015 date.

Then starting in 2015 until 2017, almost every other weekend the Eglinton Station will be taken out of service for rebuilding the north end platform for the Eglinton Crosstown station with shuttle buses being used. You may get more than a weekend closure up to a week at a time during the summer months.

Next year you got the Eglinton Week Closure to deal with rebuilding the tracks & roadbed between it and Davisvalle Station.
They better be working on the Y-E station full force in the same week that the tracks near Davisville are rebuilt.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Union Station will be taken out in 2015 to deal with the change over for the new northbound platform for Yonge line.
The entire project is still on track for being completed in early 2015.

Presumably the new platform will come into service sometime in 2014, so that they can then start the reconstruction of the existing platform.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
To bad we can't do that
News 2.1.2014 18:02 | updated 2.1.2014 18:02 [h=1]No more free parking on Helsinki tram tracks[/h] [h=2]Blocking tram lines with parked cars has been a severe and largely unpunished problem in Helsinki. Now the regional transport authority is looking to levy an 85 euro charge on owners of vehicles that have to be towed to let trams through.[/h]

HKL hopes charging drivers for careless parking will give tram users a smoother ride through the city. Motorists parking their cars in Helsinki should leave a minimum of 8o centimetres to the tram tracks on straight roads and 140 centimetres on bends. Every year between 200 and 600 drivers forget, don’t return to their car in time and have it removed by a tow-truck.
Up to now the removal service has been free of charge to the transgressor, even though the Helsinki City Transport (HKL) maintenance department says it shells out hundreds of euros for each removal.
That changed at the turn of the year, when the city began levying an 85 euro charge for each vehicle removed from the tramway. That does not come close to covering the cost of towing the car, but it may act as a deterrent.
The problem has arisen because HKL is unable to give parking tickets, as that right is reserved for public officials. That has been resolved by an agreement with the Public Works Department, which will now collect the charges. HKL officials will supervise the removals.

SourcesYle
http://yle.fi/uutiset/no_more_free_parking_on_helsinki_tram_tracks/7009759

mrgrieves

Member Bio
Reaction score
was at the Raptors game Wednesday night. After the game there was huge bottleneck to get through the turnstiles at Union station. must have been hundreds, maybe even a thousand people. I just walked to another station. just getting through the other side of the station took about 10 minutes. I imagine it could have easily been 30 minutes to get through the turnstiles.

anyone know why this was?

it was first of the month, so people may not have had metropasses. but still...just seemed so unacceptable