News   Oct 18, 2024
 2.4K     7 
News   Oct 18, 2024
 304     0 
News   Oct 18, 2024
 862     4 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Now I'm confused.

I haven't paid enough attention when I'm there, and I used to take the Warden bus from Warden station often, and I don't think I've ever walked out. I don't think I've been there since before Covid though.

If the station entrance on Warden at the end of the bus bays, doesn't go up to the bus bays, where DOES it go to? Surely there isn't a tunnel?

Perhaps I'm missing something here.

View attachment 596561

There is a corridor from the collector booth to Warden Avenue.

It runs in behind the dry cleaner and washrooms.

Now I'm confused.

I haven't paid enough attention when I'm there, and I used to take the Warden bus from Warden station often, and I don't think I've ever walked out. I don't think I've been there since before Covid though.

If the station entrance on Warden at the end of the bus bays, doesn't go up to the bus bays, where DOES it go to? Surely there isn't a tunnel?

Perhaps I'm missing something here.

View attachment 596561
Warden.png

I think it's something like this. There is a tunnel/corridor (green), that runs from the entrance at Warden Avenue to the mezzanine. You go up stairs to get to it, and down a few steps to leave if going to the subway. In red in the waiting area for the buses. From photos I believe the new corridor that was posted on Reddit is roughly where the black lines are, and the historical corridor is roughly where the orange lines are, but I can be completely wrong about that.

I think it's something like this. There is a tunnel/corridor (green), that runs from the entrance at Warden Avenue to the mezzanine. You go up stairs to get to it, and down a few steps to leave if going to the subway. In red in the waiting area for the buses. From photos I believe the new corridor that was posted on Reddit is roughly where the black lines are, and the historical corridor is roughly where the orange lines are, but I can be completely wrong about that.
Fascinating! Its amazing that one can go past this stuff all the time, and there's still stuff one doesn't know! I feel tempted to find an excuse to go use the Warden bus to have a look around! (if I was a real transit geek, I'd not need the shopping excuse).

Thanks as well Richard!

Shame there wasn't any retail at Warden and St. Clair; hopefully it becomes TOD one day.

There is not zero cost.
The question was (and I phrased it this way specifically so no one could just respond that there was going to be a cost).

IF there's zero cost to the city or TTC for maintaining wifi, why let Rogers off the hook?

For clarity the key word in that question is "IF".

To update from yesterday...

The new access is between Bays 5 and 6 (16 McCowan and 17 Birchmount).

They have a section of the platform at the top of the escalator adjacent to the tower cordoned off.

All things considered, I think they are about to expand construction causing a shutdown of the existing bus to subway connection.

See below.

20240916_080241.jpg
20240916_075847.jpg
20240916_075632.jpg

Last edited:
The TTC agenda for next week is out.

One of the reports concerns fare evasion and changes to strategies:

Of note:

1) The new hard date for no longer accepting legacy fare media (tickets and tokens) is December 31st, 2024"

2) A phased strategy for closing 'crash gates' at stations:

1726672377139.png

3) Harmonzing cash fares - date TBD ; age-based concessions would be available only through PRESTO

4) Considering registering bus fare boxes (ie. make them able to count change

5) Eliminating child presto card that are undated, ie. have no expiry date. The intent would be code into the card that on a child's 13th birthday, it must start requiring fares.

6) There is also a move to reform the way enforcement is conducted, shifting it the program to something similar to MX, with a first offense warning (but you must provide ID and pay up), a second offense modest fine, and a third offense larger fine and provincial summons (you must go to court)

I'm fine with all of the above, as far as they go..........but would like to see cash fares eliminated entirely (you could pay cash at Presto machines). Doing this would require a fare purchase machine at most/all transit stops. While somewhat expensive, it might finally prove the requisite incentive to eliminate some too-close stops.

I remain of the view that fewer or no age concessions are preferable, offset by lower adult fares, a 40-ride per month price cap, and a 3-hour travel window.

2) A phased strategy for closing 'crash gates' at stations:

I like this idea. Some stations as noted like Kennedy cannot practically have their crash gates closed though I would like to see more enforcement there. Currently at Kennedy, anyone can walk in off the street for free if they claim they are coming from Platform B.

There really needs to be fare inspections at Kennedy, if there was I can see a number of people getting fined.

I'm fine with all of the above, as far as they go..........but would like to see cash fares eliminated entirely (you could pay cash at Presto machines). Doing this would require a fare purchase machine at most/all transit stops. While somewhat expensive, it might finally prove the requisite incentive to eliminate some too-close stops.

They do this in London UK. TFL eliminated all cash fares and the only way to pay now is either by contactless or Oyster. There are no more paper tickets, tokens or transfers.

The system works well and there are no complaints about discrimination.

I remain of the view that fewer or no age concessions are preferable, offset by lower adult fares, a 40-ride per month price cap, and a 3-hour travel window.

Honestly, they need to eliminate post-secondary discounts and free rides for children. If you are in college or university you can pay for your own transit usage like an adult at full cost.

As for kids fares, that is lost revenue. There should still be a very minimal fare for their usage of the system.

Miway used to do this however I am not certain if they still do. I see it all the time where someone puts in less than a full fare and tries to play stupid. I am sorry but I am not paying taxes and a full fare to subsidize a cheapskate.

5) Eliminating child presto card that are undated, ie. have no expiry date. The intent would be code into the card that on a child's 13th birthday, it must start requiring fares.

This. You won't believe how many times I see teenagers pretend to be children or adults using child cards to get on for free. I am sorry but a 30 year old is not a child nor is a 14 year old.

6) There is also a move to reform the way enforcement is conducted, shifting it the program to something similar to MX, with a first offense warning (but you must provide ID and pay up), a second offense modest fine, and a third offense larger fine and provincial summons (you must go to court)

Hooray!

This is how they do it in Budapest and although it catches tourists off guard it does work to get revenue back.

I do wonder how they will deal with the homeless population. There are more then a few people who I see regularly that walk into stations via the bus bays and don't pay. They then proceed to panhandle in stations or sleep there.

Warden Station is notorious for having people sleep in the station washrooms over the winter talking to themselves because they are homeless.

Last edited:
Also on next week's TTC agenda is moving ahead with the Hillcrest Expansion:

All I have to say about the potential contract award is that the winning bidder is apparently SANSCON. Holy @#$# Why are they even allowed to bid.

Sanscon Construction Ltd. (Sanscon) submitted the lowest-priced bid, attended the mandatory site tour, and and did not state any exceptions or qualifications. Sanscon is COR™ certified with IHSA, as specified in the bid documents. As requested in the RFBdocuments, Sanscon provided references to demonstrate they have performed work of a similar nature. Reference checks were conducted on all five references, which confirmed Sanscon has satisfactorily performed work of a similar nature. Their bid is considered commercially acceptable.

LOL

The TTC agenda for next week is out.

One of the reports concerns fare evasion and changes to strategies:

Of note:

1) The new hard date for no longer accepting legacy fare media (tickets and tokens) is December 31st, 2024"

3) Harmonzing cash fares - date TBD ; age-based concessions would be available only through PRESTO

Im shocked but not surprised at the fact that TTC is still accepting tokens despite being off it for years. They shouldve had hard drop date years ago instead of letting this drag on. rip off the bandaid quick.

as for fare boxes... no comment... theyve been using the same boxes for over 60 years and counting... once again dinosaur equipment and practices.

They shouldve had hard drop date years ago instead of letting this drag on. rip off the bandaid quick.

They did have a hard date of Sept '23; but then didn't implement it ...........according to the report...........for 'various reasons'...... how revelatory, LOL

as for fare boxes... no comment... theyve been using the same boxes for over 60 years and counting... once again dinosaur equipment and practices.

Not on buses, yes, its been many decades, but I remember the previous iteration, and I'm still quite a few years shy of 60.

I think they changed to the current iteration in the early 80s which would make it 45 'ish years.

Im shocked but not surprised at the fact that TTC is still accepting tokens despite being off it for years. They shouldve had hard drop date years ago instead of letting this drag on. rip off the bandaid quick.

still around because TTC refused to refund the money that riders paid to buy them in the first place. Know someone who had a few rolls of tokens before they were stop being sold and try to get their money back and were told they would get tickets only.

To make the matter worse, they did when they turn 65. They ended up with twice amount of tickets going from adult fare to senior fare that they still close to 100 still to use and they travel a lot less than in the past.

With the fare integration in place, they only use the tickets in Toronto and use the Presto card going outside of Toronto when they due.

Tokens and tickets should be long gone by now, but with TTC not willing to refund riders in the first place like they should had done, it will be a few more years before they will disappear.

Other than TTC fare boxes, all systems use a cash counter farebox that have been upgraded over the years to count the cash to make sure the right fare has been placed in the box as well having a smart card reader on it. They also allow the driver to punch in what type of rider who paid the fare as well the location. That info goes into the route system to say who and how many get on at the stops along the route, as well the number of riders for the route.

Last edited:

Back