News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 450     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

What's this, Rick Leary's first press conference ever? Congrats that he's finally figured out that part of his job.

20230126_140002.JPG

What's this, Rick Leary's first press conference ever? Congrats that he's finally figured out that part of his job.

View attachment 452653
Now are these officers going to be all over the system and visible or just chat in the break room at select stations? Because that’s what they said about safety officers and many were doing the latter according to those who work the frontline at the TTC.

Now are these officers going to be all over the system and visible or just chat in the break room at select stations? Because that’s what they said about safety officers and many were doing the latter according to those who work the frontline at the TTC.

After the incident at High Park there has been a cruiser parked here regularly. They just sit inside the break room until they are needed.

Personally, I would rather see them riding the network. Realistically though, it would be impractical to have officers on every bus, train and streetcar.

After the incident at High Park there has been a cruiser parked here regularly. They just sit inside the break room until they are needed.

Personally, I would rather see them riding the network. Realistically though, it would be impractical to have officers on every bus, train and streetcar.
They don’t need to be on every vehicle, but they need to be visible across the system. I don’t see why they cannot be assigned a specific zone where they ride and walk the system making sure no one is being violent.

Honestly, Metrolinx has figured this out. I’ve seen Transit Safety at random stations and at random times on the train just walking and observing. It would go a long way to make people feel safer.

Sitting in your car doing nothing is lazy and unhelpful.

Assuming there's 2 officers per station, that's enough to cover 40 of the TTC's 75 stations. Apparently there's already officers sprinkled around the system, so depending on the amount of police in the system already about 3/4th of the stations would be covered (assuming there's 40 officers in place now).

But again deploying officers isnt going to fix the underlying issues, and it's not going to stop the incidents from happening. It's a cute knee jerk reaction.

Assuming there's 2 officers per station, that's enough to cover 40 of the TTC's 75 stations. Apparently there's already officers sprinkled around the system, so depending on the amount of police in the system already about 3/4th of the stations would be covered (assuming there's 40 officers in place now).

But again deploying officers isnt going to fix the underlying issues, and it's not going to stop the incidents from happening. It's a cute knee jerk reaction.
The math requires those 80 officers to work 16 hour days, unless you want only one per station on shifts? Even then, it still seems not workable. I don't think you can get them for even six hours per day since they would require log in and out time, lunch breaks, etc...

What is needed is a return to institutions, some people can not handle day-to-day living.
There is some truth to this, for a few. Especially if the province isn't willing to spend the same amount of money they spent to institutionalize people. Deinstitutionalization was supposed to come with a lot of extra support.

How much does it cost to institutionalize someone? More than a prison - which is about $130,000 a year.

Shouldn't then there be $100,000 entering the system somewhere for each person de-institutionalized (and still save money)? That's a lot of security, counsellors, basic income, drugs, etc. And security in the TTC. Though I bet we wouldn't need the extra security if they'd done the other stuff.

The issue isn't deinstitutionalization - it's that the Ontario government has failed to provide the promised support.

But that being said - that's really a very small minority of those. Living on the street (and streetcar) wouldn't change. Teenagers swarming people wouldn't change (which seems to be at least 12 of the attacks we've seen in recent weeks). People who have no history, and haven't done anything previously concerning wouldn't change. And if you wanted to put all those folks in as well - then that's far more money that would have to be spent.

It's time to bring back the death penalty. If we can't heal them cause we got no money, just get rid of them.
We should start executing the mentally ill, to save money? Really? I'd think anyone who actually believed that, would be on the top of the list for reinstitutionalization.

Perhaps we could start executing all the TTC passengers as well - that would reduce the city budget by a $billion or so.

But a 100% hike is not reasonable. Toronto property taxes are about the same as other major canadian cities.
Keep in mind, that those Ontario numbers include education tax, not just municipal tax. If you remove that from the numbers, the cities in the other provinces are closer. And Toronto would go down more, as even if Toronto houses costs more Barrie, they pay the same education tax rate - making a lot more education tax being paid in Toronto being non-municipal compared to many other Ontario municipalities.

Assuming there's 2 officers per station, that's enough to cover 40 of the TTC's 75 stations.
For one shift. Say 40 hours of a 168-hour week.

To cover 168-hours a week and 2 together, you'd need 300 for 75 stations. Probably more if people take vacations, statutory holidays, sick days, training, and don't spend 42 a week on-site!

Overall, the crime severity index in Toronto has declined by almost half in the past 20 years, from 80.0 in 2001 to 45.5 in 2021. (Source). In the meantime, the Toronto Police Service operating budget has increased from $573.8 M in 2001 (Source) to $1,076.2 M in 2021 (Source).

So if the rate of criminal acts has truly increased in the TTC recently, and this is not a statistical blip, why the TTC, specifically? Have other transit systems seen similar increases?

Given the very big decline of policing effectiveness in terms of dollars spent per crime severity index point, I'm not sure that points to a solution of simply having more officers, given the random and unpredictable nature of these acts.

Have other transit systems seen similar increases?
The MTA had a spate of incidents late last year. People pushed onto tracks, assaults, etc. The TTC’s seem worse - or maybe I’m just way more tuned into them.

At any rate, people were paranoid about riding the subway - and that’s really saying something given what New Yorkers will put up with. The mayor finally had to get the NYPD onto a ton of stations. You can see a pair of cops in the platform on a lot of lines.

Back