News   Jul 12, 2024
 951     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 834     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 337     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The TTC is losing the PR battle over safety on the system. And I’m saying this as someone who still feels completely safe on the TTC. I can see others’ frustration though.

I bet if Andy Byford were still CEO, we would have heard from him a number of times now. Maybe even doing a media tour and riding the subway listening and reassuring riders. I’ve seen him multiple times on the TTC in the past interacting with riders. He seemed pretty accessible.

Current CEO is useless and invisible.

Isn’t that what our Presto cards do, charging a single fare for multiple trips within two hours of the first one?
Trippers actually continued the passenger trip WITHOUT have to transfer (which involves waiting for the vehicle transferring to).

This map shows the Bathurst Tripper (which continued the trip along St. Clair Ave. W.) and King Tripper (which continued the trip along Bloor Street West).
ttc-1946-plans-track-abandonments.jpg

From link.
A map showing the TTC's plans to replace the streetcar tracks in advance of the launch of the ANNETTE, LANSDOWNE and OSSINGTON trolley coaches, and the replacement of the DOVERCOURT route by a revision of the HARBORD line. Note that plans included extending Harbord Street (or their tracks) west from Ossington to Dovercourt. This plan never materialized. This image was originally published in a 1960s issue of the UCRS Newsletter.

Nobody in Liberty Village attends U of T, or works at the ROM, the AGO or other north of Dundas employers? Pretty sure the TTC don’t have that service running for decoration
If the comment was referring to how all LV has is the 504 and no rapid transit, then I'm fairly certain it's not relevant to the discourse. Unless the implication is that LV should have a subway to replace the Ossington bus?

The TTC is losing the PR battle over safety on the system. And I’m saying this as someone who still feels completely safe on the TTC. I can see others’ frustration though.

I bet if Andy Byford were still CEO, we would have heard from him a number of times now. Maybe even doing a media tour and riding the subway listening and reassuring riders. I’ve seen him multiple times on the TTC in the past interacting with riders. He seemed pretty accessible.

Current CEO is useless and invisible.
In virtually every industry, if there were random repeated homicides and attacks happening within your company, you would hear the CEO come out and at least make a statement to reassure their customers and/or employees of the things they will do/look into to address said issue.

I've never seen such an inept and pathetic CEO who stays quiet and sends their PR person out to improperly address the situation. He's absolutely useless, and has no damn idea how to lead anything.

I've been a pretty regular rider for more than 15 years, and never have I seen the system in such disarray in my life. From the atrocious service, to the lack of fare inspection, right down to the number of service disruptions, and distressed/deranged individuals on the system. The way things are going, it's only a matter of time before ridership takes a nice fat hit and it wont be due to economic reasons at that.

Let’s pretend the TTC had an unlimited security budget to cover 150 subway trains, 200 streetcars and 2000 buses and however many stations.

How many people would be required and what would their powers be?

Dec 18
Finally got around to look at Russell yard to see what taking place.

I was expecting work taking place at the westside where the sound was built with steel columns to support the new OS as well being dug up, but not the case. Work taking place on the westside of the carhouse as well in front of it. Shoring rig on site and assuming it drill the holes for the new poles to support the New OS as well prepare the area for the carhouse expansion.
1671408138409.jpeg

1671408177715.jpeg

1671408216778.jpeg

1671408246828.jpeg

1671408276485.jpeg

1671408305509.jpeg

Dec 18
Finally got around to look at Russell yard to see what taking place.

I was expecting work taking place at the westside where the sound was built with steel columns to support the new OS as well being dug up, but not the case. Work taking place on the westside of the carhouse as well in front of it. Shoring rig on site and assuming it drill the holes for the new poles to support the New OS as well prepare the area for the carhouse expansion.
View attachment 446095
View attachment 446096
View attachment 446097
View attachment 446098
View attachment 446099
View attachment 446100

Work being done with the minimum number of workers, to save money. If they had more workers, it would finish faster, but saving money more important.

Work being done with the minimum number of workers, to save money. If they had more workers, it would finish faster, but saving money more important.
From the photos, the track is torn up so I am not sure why anyone would put on more workers to speed completion date of the overhead above it. I agree that, in general, updating the overhead has been painfully slow but suggest that any staff they have would be best to work on completing overhead on active track than over a construction site. As long as it's done when it can be used!

The TTC is losing the PR battle over safety on the system.
Then perhaps they need to take it seriously. Protect your passengers as well as you protect your employees.
Yet again, another random assault this morning with multiple victims...
As I stand on the subway platform I wonder, just how many of my fellow riders are potentially violently insane, just waiting to go off on a NCR spree.

Last edited:
There are perhaps they need to take it seriously. Protect your passengers as well as you protect your employees.

As I stand on the subway platform I wonder, just how many of my fellow riders are potentially violent insane, just waiting to go off on a NCR spree.

I have noticed a marked decrease in homeless on the system recently ever since the issues at High Park occurred. Also saw less homeless on the trains.

I still keep my wits about me but yea, I still have safety concerns on the system especially downtown. Stations like Dundas and Queen are problematic with all the shelters in the area but there is only so much that can be done under the law.

I have noticed a marked decrease in homeless on the system recently ever since the issues at High Park occurred. Also saw less homeless on the trains.

I still keep my wits about me but yea, I still have safety concerns on the system especially downtown. Stations like Dundas and Queen are problematic with all the shelters in the area but there is only so much that can be done under the law.
More than once earlier this year I was riding on Line 2 at the end of the train near the operator's compartment, and I could overhear it being mentioned that Line 1 was stopped because someone had climbed onto the tracks at Dundas station and had run into the tunnel. I believe the PA system announcements would formerly have specified something happening "at track level" or something similar, but more recently only state "security incident".

Last edited:

Back