News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 908     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

It show how out dated I am for this year with a huge backlog of projects to shoot that are almost 2 years between visits. I must be thinking of another site that was to have a tower built over it on Yonge. Unless its heritage, some of those existing building should be replace from the ground up.

With this been next to TTC tunnel, expect a setback for any shoring as TTC doesn't want things to have an impact on the tunnel wall unless a connection to the King Station can be had.
You are thinking of the "Irish Embassy" building immediately south of 55 Yonge (corner of Wellington). THAT has a proposal for a tower on top. As noted on 55 Yonge thread, this project is coming to Council this week and I understand the revisions include a station entrance incorporated. Stay tuned.

You are thinking of the "Irish Embassy" building immediately south of 55 Yonge (corner of Wellington). THAT has a proposal for a tower on top. As noted on 55 Yonge thread, this project is coming to Council this week and I understand the revisions include a station entrance incorporated. Stay tuned.
Thanks. Been in the area these months, but not shooting the areas as it would be adding to by backlog of photos still to be done. Now I am finish an area that has caused me a few months of backlog, should be caught up to date in January to do more shooting on a regular base than today. May get 10 more days shooting in this year, subject to weather.

Was perusing some forums on Boston's new Type 10 LRVs and came across some comments that the Massachusetts is on the search for a new transit czar. Rumours are that the new Governor is looking to get Rick Leary to head that position. This is all a rumour of course but Rick Leary would of course be well positioned for that job as he has experience and is a native of Boston. Thought I'd share this interesting tidbit I came across.

Was perusing some forums on Boston's new Type 10 LRVs and came across some comments that the Massachusetts is on the search for a new transit czar. Rumours are that the new Governor is looking to get Rick Leary to head that position. This is all a rumour of course but Rick Leary would of course be well positioned for that job as he has experience and is a native of Boston. Thought I'd share this interesting tidbit I came across.
I have already said Rick should take this position when the position open up a some weeks ago, since he doing one royal piss poor job here. Another Governor who wants TTC CEO and most likely will regrate doing so at the end of the day if he gets Rick.

The sooner he goes, better TTC will be without him unless TTC get another CEO worse than him. Hopeful it opens the door for Andy to think about coming back and finishing the job he started to do before going to NYC. The Silos within TTC will be shaking if Andy decides to come back. Then you got Tory to worry about if he willing to allow Andy back in the first place or have him on a leash as Andy will be pushing some high price projects to make TTC a better place and offering better service to riders.

I have already said Rick should take this position when the position open up a some weeks ago, since he doing one royal piss poor job here. Another Governor who wants TTC CEO and most likely will regrate doing so at the end of the day if he gets Rick.

The sooner he goes, better TTC will be without him unless TTC get another CEO worse than him. Hopeful it opens the door for Andy to think about coming back and finishing the job he started to do before going to NYC. The Silos within TTC will be shaking if Andy decides to come back. Then you got Tory to worry about if he willing to allow Andy back in the first place or have him on a leash as Andy will be pushing some high price projects to make TTC a better place and offering better service to riders.
Then theres also the GM of MBTA who has announced his resignation.

Here are some photos of Amsterdam R-NET 140 M5 Alstom Konstal (2012-?) 6 Car Articulated Train that is currently replacing all existing equipment. I was expecting the tram I last rode on for the line, but they have expanded the line and converted to a full metro. These trains are schedule to be driverless in the coming years once all the existing equipment is replace. You can see the button on the doors that will require the riders to push them to open the doors. Had to laugh a few times watching riders pushing the button to open the door when the doors are currently been open by the driver. One person crew train like TTC line 4 and now 1.

Maybe this type of train will be on Alstom bid list for the new Line 2 trains. Like this train over BBD train in Frankfurt that is now part of Alstom system.
52485707113_4417246ea7_b.jpg

52485623270_63b2d55a8b_b.jpg
52485623370_b1e28d9b61_b.jpg
52485623350_de586fe241_b.jpg

52485432274_3581a8b913_b.jpg

52485707173_39ba39ecef_b.jpg

Cross post

I shot a video of Amsterdam new R-NET 110 M5 Alstom Konstal (2012-?) 6 Car Articulated Train Interior that use longitarsal seating with a few single seats for accessibility area without a view screen look since the screen was dead . You will note a few riders have their feet on the poles to stop people walking in front of them. Most Metro/Subway trains in Europe have far more poles than we do as well 3-4 gab bars on those poles.

Is this something riders will like from what we have today??? Not a fan of Europe seating arrangement

I agree - not a fan of this arrangement. The poles in the centre seem like obstacles, not aids (and I say this as a short person). I'd prefer more loops dangling from the ceiling like they have in Tokyo.

TTC prepared for expected winter storm

Dec. 14, 2022

The TTC is preparing for tomorrow’s winter storm and will be ready to safely get Torontonians to and from their destinations.

Based on the latest forecasts, this storm has the strong potential to make surface travel challenging so the TTC is taking extra steps to ensure it delivers the best service possible.

The precise track and full impact of this storm are still unknown, but the TTC is mobilizing its enhanced Severe Weather Plan to ensure it is able to continue to deliver the essential transit service customers need.

Actions already underway include:

- Extra staff and vehicles are being prepared to deliver uninterrupted service.
- Line 3 Scarborough SRT will open for morning service, but could be closed depending on storm conditions, with 20-25 buses replacing service until weather permits it to re-open.
- Anti-icing and snow clearing protocols in place in all bus, streetcar and subway divisions.
- Subway trains will be stored in tunnels along the main lines to avoid issues getting out of the yards.
- The entire streetcar overhead network and vehicles have been treated with an anti-icing application. Should any issues arise on 512 St Clair, the route will be serviced with replacement buses.
- Private contractor tow trucks are ready to assist with any trapped vehicles and the TTC’s fleet of snow-clearing equipment will be deployed as conditions progress.
- The TTC will stay in regular communication with the City to ensure crews are aware of issues on transit routes.
- Social media and web updates will be pushed out frequently to keep customers informed.

As always, the TTC is committed to safe and reliable service in the most extreme weather, but operations can be impacted by road conditions.

Customers are advised to follow @TTCNotices on Twitter or check ttc.ca for updates and in the event of bad weather, to leave extra travel time.

TTC prepared for expected winter storm

Dec. 14, 2022

The TTC is preparing for tomorrow’s winter storm and will be ready to safely get Torontonians to and from their destinations.

Based on the latest forecasts, this storm has the strong potential to make surface travel challenging so the TTC is taking extra steps to ensure it delivers the best service possible.

The precise track and full impact of this storm are still unknown, but the TTC is mobilizing its enhanced Severe Weather Plan to ensure it is able to continue to deliver the essential transit service customers need.

Actions already underway include:

- Extra staff and vehicles are being prepared to deliver uninterrupted service.
- Line 3 Scarborough SRT will open for morning service, but could be closed depending on storm conditions, with 20-25 buses replacing service until weather permits it to re-open.
- Anti-icing and snow clearing protocols in place in all bus, streetcar and subway divisions.
- Subway trains will be stored in tunnels along the main lines to avoid issues getting out of the yards.
- The entire streetcar overhead network and vehicles have been treated with an anti-icing application. Should any issues arise on 512 St Clair, the route will be serviced with replacement buses.
- Private contractor tow trucks are ready to assist with any trapped vehicles and the TTC’s fleet of snow-clearing equipment will be deployed as conditions progress.
- The TTC will stay in regular communication with the City to ensure crews are aware of issues on transit routes.
- Social media and web updates will be pushed out frequently to keep customers informed.

As always, the TTC is committed to safe and reliable service in the most extreme weather, but operations can be impacted by road conditions.

Customers are advised to follow @TTCNotices on Twitter or check ttc.ca for updates and in the event of bad weather, to leave extra travel time.
One thing I noticed this season is the TTC has installed winter tires on the rear set of wheels on buses. Previously the TTC only had all-season tires on their buses which I was surprised about.

One thing I noticed this season is the TTC has installed winter tires on the rear set of wheels on buses. Previously the TTC only had all-season tires on their buses which I was surprised about.

My father is a retired operator working from 1989 to 2019 driving everything from New Looks to Hybrid buses.

During last years storm he commented on how the TTC doesn't let their operators override the brake retarder. He drove buses that were equipped with them and buses that were not.

His thinking was that the Brake Retarders prevent buses from getting through thick snow by limiting speed. If Operators could have overridden them, there may have been alot less trapped busses last year.

Essentially, by limiting the speed at which busses travel operators cannot pick up enough speed to get through heavy snow.

My father recalled during his early years how much snow he plowed through in a GM new look. He also recalled getting stuck with the newer buses when he left.

The point I'm making is that Winter Tires are a great addition but tires aren't the only reason busses get stuck.

My father is a retired operator working from 1989 to 2019 driving everything from New Looks to Hybrid buses.

During last years storm he commented on how the TTC doesn't let their operators override the brake retarder. He drove buses that were equipped with them and buses that were not.

His thinking was that the Brake Retarders prevent buses from getting through thick snow by limiting speed. If Operators could have overridden them, there may have been alot less trapped busses last year.

This is precisely not what they are for.

The brake retarder is an additional feature that allows for higher-speed braking to be performed interdependently of the traditional brakes in each wheel. It's purpose is to reduce the use of the brakes and therefore reduce wear and increase the longevity of their consumable components.

Their problem is that they only act on the drive axle, and so can cause problems in slippery conditions. The last thing anyone needs is for the rear axle to lock up and have the ass-end of the vehicle slide around.

This is why the TTC has been telling drivers for years to disable them in the snow. The same goes for the regenerative braking on the hybrids, for the same safety reasons.

Essentially, by limiting the speed at which busses travel operators cannot pick up enough speed to get through heavy snow.

My father recalled during his early years how much snow he plowed through in a GM new look. He also recalled getting stuck with the newer buses when he left.

The point I'm making is that Winter Tires are a great addition but tires aren't the only reason busses get stuck.

One of the biggest issues with modern low-floor buses - and why they are generally not as good in the snow - is due to their clearance underneath, or lack thereof. The use of smaller wheels, and a solid floor only 14 or 15 inches above the ground means that they can have snow build up underneath to such a degree to remove traction from the tires. Because a New Look or its New Flyer equivalent had larger tires, its axle was located further off of the ground. And much of the room underneath the floor of the vehicle is empty space up to the structure below the floor.

Of course, the fact that they've all had traction control and anti-lock braking for the past 20 to 25 years also does help - but its certainly not a perfect solution.

It should also be noted that while the regular tires are all-seasons, just like anything else there are different quality levels to the different makes and models. The TTC has generally spec'd higher-end tires as they also last longer in service. I can recall years ago being on YRT and TTC buses back-to-back in a raging snowstorm and on identical streets, and the TTC bus driver had a far easier time of it than the YRT driver did.

Dan

Back