News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 917     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The other issue is that as Erindale is a two-way street, and so a transit vehicle-activated traffic signal wouldn't work there. Perhaps if it was changed to one way eastbound from Broadview to Ellerbeck or the Green P lot, it may be able to be signalized.
I think that's the solution right there; to make Erindale a one-way street from Ellerbeck to Broadview to allow for priority signal installation. Only thing is, if that were done buses would have to use Pretoria and Ellerbeck to enter Broadview Station and residents would probably bring out their pitch forks.

Although if the city closed the Green P lot and extended Broadview station, I think all of that would be more "digestable" for residents (not that I care about the whining they would do over much of nothing).

I think that's the solution right there; to make Erindale a one-way street from Ellerbeck to Broadview to allow for priority signal installation. Only thing is, if that were done buses would have to use Pretoria and Ellerbeck to enter Broadview Station and residents would probably bring out their pitch forks.

Although if the city closed the Green P lot and extended Broadview station, I think all of that would be more "digestable" for residents (not that I care about the whining they would do over much of nothing).
Well, hold on a second here.

When I was talking about making Erindale one way, I was envisioning it being one way eastbound - this would mean that the only vehicles accessing Erindale westbound along that stretch would be streetcars, not private autos. This would, in theory, allow for the installation of a TSP signal for streetcars, and thus (hopefully) allow them to exit with a minimum of muss and fuss.

Because Erindale would be one-way eastbound, buses could still use it to access their part of the station. And they wouldn't need the traffic signals to access the street from Broadview. Or do any silly routings via the other streets to the east.

Dan

Dec 21
1671749014455.jpeg

Well, hold on a second here.

When I was talking about making Erindale one way, I was envisioning it being one way eastbound - this would mean that the only vehicles accessing Erindale westbound along that stretch would be streetcars, not private autos. This would, in theory, allow for the installation of a TSP signal for streetcars, and thus (hopefully) allow them to exit with a minimum of muss and fuss.

Because Erindale would be one-way eastbound, buses could still use it to access their part of the station. And they wouldn't need the traffic signals to access the street from Broadview. Or do any silly routings via the other streets to the east.

Dan
That makes sense actually. I was thinking one way westbound, but eastbound is the better approach.

The idea makes so much sense that i'm sure the city will probably never look into it, because Toronto chooses to operate things from the non-sensical aspect of everything.

That makes sense actually. I was thinking one way westbound, but eastbound is the better approach.

The idea makes so much sense that i'm sure the city will probably never look into it, because Toronto chooses to operate things from the non-sensical aspect of everything.
The city allows seems to look at if it will inconvenience the single-occupant automobile or not. The priority for the city is the automobile is #1. Last is the pedestrian or the transit user. The last location to be cleared of snow are the snow windrows at intersections and transit stops, ignoring the people who have to walk over the mountains of snow.

This photo is from Buttonwood Avenue. It leads to West Park Healthcare Centre (A rehabilitation hospital in Toronto focused on neuro rehab, amputee rehab, musculoskeletal rehab and respiratory rehab) a long-term facility. Where patients and residents go on walks or use wheelchairs or walkers on the surrounding streets. This windrow will left for spring since pedestrians are considered lower classes who dare to try to walk.
Corner snow windrow.jpeg

Must be Metrolinx HQ because garage.
Its for The Bloor Station Conversion under a parking structure that saw commercial space added at the base an 3 more floors of parking added to it a few years ago.

Metrolinx HQ is in Union Station west end section

Its for The Bloor Station Conversion under a parking structure that saw commercial space added at the base an 3 more floors of parking added to it a few years ago.

Metrolinx HQ is in Union Station west end section
Wonder if the executives and top management of Metrolinx HQ have their own reserved private parking space, free? Or valet service included? Should at least be a "taxable benefit".

Remember when...

...passengers read newspapers on the subway. They also left used newspaper all over to be blown around and littering not just the platforms, but the tunnels and outside.

preview

From link.

_99443417_hi043038810.jpg.webp

From link.

Today, instead of newspapers, its smartphones. Except most can't get cell service/wi-fi service in the tunnels. Over to you Rick Leary.

Remember when...

...passengers read newspapers on the subway. They also left used newspaper all over to be blown around and littering not just the platforms, but the tunnels and outside.

preview

From link.

_99443417_hi043038810.jpg.webp

From link.

Today, instead of newspapers, its smartphones. Except most can't get cell service/wi-fi service in the tunnels. Over to you Rick Leary.

I actually miss the free papers. It gave you something to read when there was no cell signal.

Nope that's actually a problem with the cell phone providers. The equipment has been installed they just refuse to use it because they each want to install there own separate systems and have their own employees be able to have access to it instead of TTC personal and the company that was chosen to provide the service. Unfortunately Bell, Rogers and Telus don't really care about us having cell phone reception on the subway and there is nothing that the TTC can do to make them.

Maybe this comes with age but I’m now in favour of not having cell service on the subway. Theres something very zen about being on the subway during rush hour and it being relatively quiet. To the point that it seems like the only place left where people can disconnect and take a nap. WiFi is perfectly fine since most of us are not chatting on the phone as much compared to a decade ago.

Nope that's actually a problem with the cell phone providers. The equipment has been installed they just refuse to use it because they each want to install there own separate systems and have their own employees be able to have access to it instead of TTC personal and the company that was chosen to provide the service. Unfortunately Bell, Rogers and Telus don't really care about us having cell phone reception on the subway and there is nothing that the TTC can do to make them.
Equipment is only installed in tunnels between Bloor and St. Patrick and on the Vaughan extension, so it's still pretty useless even if all the cell phone providers signed on.

Back