News   Mar 28, 2024
 147     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 594     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 366     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Oh, you mean that there'd be trains running only from Wilson to Spadina. I hadn't heard that. I'm not sure they'd ever plan that - they could just as easily do it at St. George.

They did plan to do that when the line was envisioned but the complex nature of the interchange precluded it. They put the crossover but that was all she wrote.

I do recall it was used as a terminal during the G20 for a brief period before the trains were curtailed further north.

Why on earth was there to be service on Yonge and Spadina but not University? Surely if the University line was too quiet to justify running at all times, Spadina would be even worse since it didn't run directly under downtown?

Likely because of yard access. Don't forget Wilson Yard is just outside Wilson Station.

They could've deadheaded to Wilson if it came down purely to yard access, no?

Perhaps but I can only assume they wanted to keep some level of service going as the line was not easily duplicated. Unlike University, there is no duplication (Within walking distance) for the Spadina Line.

Reactions: T3G
I've been to Pape a fair deal of times and i've yet to see any...and I hope my streak of not seeing them continues.
Off-peak is the best time to get a sighting lol
What makes the Kendal entrance so much more difficult to make accessible than other locations?

Or what makes it so difficult to put a proper entrance into the quite large concourse at the Lowther end of the Line 1 platform?

I can't see how not providing elevator access from the street to the platform meets the AODA, when the quickest alternative is to head north to the next station. I'm not thinking about Line 1/2 transfers here (which the design seems to deal with well); just street access to the Line 1 platform.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's things living between the walls there - though I'd be surprised if gigantic rats would have squeezed into that quite narrow gap; though there's likely other places they can be.

I too use Pape - and haven't seen anything - other than the pigeons that still love that platform despite the closure of the outdoor entrances to that station
I’ve personally seen them squeeze into the void, remember, no back-bone meaning they can squeeze into extremely tight spaces.
All of the older stations have voids between the structural walls and the surface tiling - Pape is no different.

Dan

Why on earth was there to be service on Yonge and Spadina but not University? Surely if the University line was too quiet to justify running at all times, Spadina would be even worse since it didn't run directly under downtown?
If you looked at the history, the University Line closed early by 10pm and doesn't even operate on Sundays for the whole decade till the Spadina Line opened. Surely they could just ran the Spadina Line from Wilson to Spadina only on low ridership periods to maintain service and not operate the University Line at all.

I am familiar with the history of the University line, yes. What I was asking about was why they would bother splitting the service in two when the Spadina line opened rather than running a through service.

I am familiar with the history of the University line, yes. What I was asking about was why they would bother splitting the service in two when the Spadina line opened rather than running a through service.

I think it was because they were unsure if the University Line would remain profitable. I believe they were considering mothballing it at one point.

I do recall it was used as a terminal during the G20 for a brief period before the trains were curtailed further north.
Spadina was not used as a terminal, it was St. George - as it always is when there's a problem on University. Nor was it curtailed further north (at least long enough for TTC to issue a notice.

If you are wrong about that, are you also possibly wrong that they were planning to curtail service (southbound) at Spadina instead of St. George, and that the tunnel at Spadina was as a resultof that plan?

1660070105916.png

I am most certainly correct. To quote Transit Toronto (https://transittoronto.ca/subway/5106.shtml):

The work done to connect the Spadina subway’s Spadina station with its Bloor-Danforth counterpart may not have been the only reason why this station was renamed Spadina from Lowther. Some reports indicate that the name was changed in case the University subway still did not prove financially viable.

From 1969 to 1978, the University subway was closed Mondays to Saturdays at 9:45 p.m. and all day Sundays and holidays. If this arrangement had to continue, Spadina Station would have to be used as the southern terminal station of the Spadina line (although it would have been far more convenient for passengers to transfer to the Bloor-Danforth subway at St. George).

This is why a crossover was installed just to the north of the station and “Spadina” installed on the subway rollsigns. Thus by naming the station ‘Spadina’ people would be able to connect the station in their minds with the Bloor-Danforth subway far more readily than a ‘Lowther’ terminal.

However, the opening of the Spadina line and increasing overcrowding on the Yonge line increased ridership on the University line, so these precautions proved unnecessary.

I do recall the subway turning back at Spadina at one point during the G20, then eventually a bit further north once the situation deteriorated.

If you looked at the history, the University Line closed early by 10pm and doesn't even operate on Sundays for the whole decade till the Spadina Line opened. Surely they could just ran the Spadina Line from Wilson to Spadina only on low ridership periods to maintain service and not operate the University Line at all.

Yes. This is the historical reason for the Spadina Station layout, to allow for weekend and late evening turnbacks and transfers. The TTC opted in the end for full all-day, seven day service on the University Line once the Spadina Line opened.

Things returning to normal downtown.
Cars parked in the streetcar stops and the through traffic bans blatantly ignored by multiple cars each light cycle. Zero enforcement.

IMG_20220817_153930.jpg

That van was parked there for 12 minutes while I waited for the streetcar.
Oh yeah, waiting 12 minutes for a 504 is back to normal too.

Last edited:
Russell Carhouse upgrades:

What we are doing and why:
The expansion of TTC’s streetcar fleet requires additional maintenance/storage space. In order to prepare for the arrival of new streetcars, TTC is upgrading storage capacity across the City including modifications to the carhouse and storage area at Russell Yard. Please view the Community Update (pdf) for more details about the upcoming construction.

The upgrade project will include:

Yard storage tracks (start date: as early as September 6, 2022 – for 2.5 years):
 Replace all yard track with concrete embedded track rail and switches (work takes place in stages as the yard will still be in service).
 Provide track lubrication to all storage tracks to reduce streetcar noise (wheel squeal).
 Replace all underground utility services and provide stormwater retention management system to meet City of Toronto and Toronto Water requirements.
 Replace overhead electrical conductor system for Streetcar pantograph operations.
 Trucking material off site/ truck traffic will be routed along Queen St. E. /Eastern Ave., and may cause temporary impacts to traffic lanes and on-street parking.
 Traffic control on Queen St. E. and Eastern Ave. (at Russell Carhouse) will be in place.
 Pedestrian and traffic detours will be in place.

Carhouse extension and modifications (start date: as early as 2025 – 2028, TBD*):
 Construct west extension of carhouse to allow for additional maintenance bay for LFLRVs.
 Upgrade existing carhouse building to accommodate new LFLRV streetcars.
 Reconfigure maintenance tracks and pits in the Carhouse for LFLRV operational maintenance.
 Introduce maintenance access for LFLRV rooftop mounted equipment.

Noise, vibration and work hours:
 Noise and vibration associated with construction can be expected with this work. Efforts will be made to keep levels to a minimum and mitigation will be undertaken.
 The majority of work will take place between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., as required. As permitted, some overnight and weekend work will be required during the course of this project.

TTC Service Impacts:
 No service impacts are expected as a part of the works. Additional streetcars will be dispatched from TTC’s two other streetcar maintenance/storage facilities: Leslie Barns and Roncesvalles Carhouse.

We can all remember the good old days (which continue in tandem with the new), when the TTC announced route diversions with paper notices tied to bus stops with string. Eventually they fell to pieces or some public-spirited citizen removed them but they usually survived for the duration of the diversion. They did look quite 19th century (without the sealing-wax).

Now the TTC are moving to more professional signage in line with the 21st century. Unfortunately, this does not get wet and disintegrate, cannot be removed by ordinary citizens and, of course, the TTC has not yet worked out that THEY need to 'do something" This one is on Sherbourne @ King; I saw a similar one (also out-of date) on King around Parliament.

IMG_0980[1].JPG

Back