News   Apr 25, 2024
 41     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 336     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Andy is far better off at TFL. He is at home there, both the staff and Londoners love him.

In Toronto he was beholden to whatever projects the Premier, Metrolinx and City of Toronto cooked up. He had to tow the party line rather than be sent packing. In NYC he tried to do good but the governor did not want to loosen the purse strings or deal with the closures required to complete work. In either case Andy did not have any freedom to do his job.

Now that he is at TFL, he is well respected and has tons of freedom to do his job. He has the support of both the mayor and the national government. He just opened the Elizabeth Line to much fanfare (which was no small feat) and has further improvements on the way. Even with a budget crunch he is still finding a way to make the system work.

I am happy for him and honestly, I am glad he ended up somewhere he is appreciated.
I completely agree, though I was not looking for a debate there, but rather I was just pointing out that we briefly had a competent, high-profile individual who cared deeply about transit at the reins.

TTC track on Adelaide - I assume the TTC Track is only Spadina to Victoria/Church - though it used to go all the way to Bathurst, the western section has not been used for MANY MANY years.

bnr-constserv2.jpg

Notice of Intended Procurement
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Doc3521913233
Commodity:Construction Services, Road - Curb - Sidewalk
Description:Request for Tenders for TTC Track, Watermain, Road and Sidewalk Construction on Adelaide Street from Bathurst Street to
RFT for TTC Track, Watermain, Road and Sidewalk Construction on Adelaide Street from Bathurst Street to Parliament Street
Issue date:June 15, 2022
ecblank.gif
Closing date:July 5, 2022
at 12:00 Noon
Notes:Attachment
pdf.gif
Doc3521913233 notice_intended_procurement.pdf (150 Kbytes) - Posted on 06/15/2022 10:41:31 AM
Pre-bid meeting:N/A
Buyer:Bachir, Kenan
ecblank.gif
Phone number:416-392-7326
Email:kenan.bachir@toronto.ca
ecblank.gif
Client Division:Engineering & Construction Services - Engineering Services
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif

Scope of work:
Kindly Access the following link to respond on SAP Ariba

TTC announcement:

New streetcars will begin arriving to TTC facilities in Fall 2023 (on a phased delivery schedule). The expansion of the TTC streetcar fleet requires capacity for additional maintenance/storage space. In order to prepare for their arrival, TTC must upgrade storage capacity across the City.

Modifications are required to the carhouse and storage areas at the Russell Carhouse. Please view the Community Update for an overview about the upcoming construction projects required at Russell Carhouse. https://ttc-cdn.azureedge.net/-/med...ff73558&hash=03119D4336BCC0256D524254A99243E0

As early as Fall, 2022, tracks will be upgraded within Russell yard (work will be conducted in phases to accommodate ongoing streetcar operations/service). Once more project details are confirmed, a public notice will be shared and posted online at https://www.ttc.ca/service-advisories/construction-notices/Russell-Carhouse-Upgrades

TTC announcement:

New streetcars will begin arriving to TTC facilities in Fall 2023 (on a phased delivery schedule). The expansion of the TTC streetcar fleet requires capacity for additional maintenance/storage space. In order to prepare for their arrival, TTC must upgrade storage capacity across the City.

Modifications are required to the carhouse and storage areas at the Russell Carhouse. Please view the Community Update for an overview about the upcoming construction projects required at Russell Carhouse. https://ttc-cdn.azureedge.net/-/med...ff73558&hash=03119D4336BCC0256D524254A99243E0

As early as Fall, 2022, tracks will be upgraded within Russell yard (work will be conducted in phases to accommodate ongoing streetcar operations/service). Once more project details are confirmed, a public notice will be shared and posted online at https://www.ttc.ca/service-advisories/construction-notices/Russell-Carhouse-Upgrades
I don't recall tracks going to Bathurst and it should.

Love to see tracks on Richmond going to Bathurst, but the road is an issue west of Peter St to support tracks an more so west of Spadina.

As for Russell, been on the books for years and was supposed to start last year in phases starting at the west end.

TTC does need more space for more cars to the point when will work start on Hillcrest? It still a drop in the bucket for more space to meet future expansion

TTC announcement:

From the linked Community Update on Russell:

1655424836681.png

1655424912213.png

I don't recall tracks going to Bathurst and it should.

Love to see tracks on Richmond going to Bathurst, but the road is an issue west of Peter St to support tracks an more so west of Spadina.
According to this map on TransitToronto there were tracks on Adelaide between Spadina and Bathurst in 1963. https://transittoronto.ca/archives/maps/ttc-track-diagram-19630906.png Last summer I noticed that they had exposed a piece of rail in that area while doing watermain work. Not sure it would be my top priority for 'new' track but ..

1655473329632.png

D9EF7DA3-AB88-4208-85AA-18700FF5DC08.jpeg

My response here is unprintable. At some point (we are probably here already) people’s perceptions of safety on the TTC is going to be seriously affected.

What the hell is being done about this?

View attachment 408168

My response here is unprintable. At some point (we are probably here already) people’s perceptions of safety on the TTC is going to be seriously affected.

Poor woman, life-threatening and life-altering (should she survive) injuries.

The assailant is in custody.

Nothing.

The victim failed to pay due care and attention to her surroundings.
Terrible though this is, I am not really sure what could be done to prevent this kind of thing. Even if there were security guards on every platform, in every vehicle and and in every passageway, someone throwing inflammable liquid on someone (whom they may or may not have known) and lighting it would be almost impossible to prevent. The culprit was, apparently, caught.

View attachment 408168

I was just talking about this with my friend, she stopped taking transit because of how dangerous it has become. The last time she took the subway she witnessed a random assault where someone got punched in the head for no reason.

Terrible though this is, I am not really sure what could be done to prevent this kind of thing. Even if there were security guards on every platform, in every vehicle and and in every passageway, someone throwing inflammable liquid on someone (whom they may or may not have known) and lighting it would be almost impossible to prevent. The culprit was, apparently, caught.

It depends - we don't know enough about the assailant to know if anything could have been done. Not going to say no until we know more. What the TTC can do is take the general decline in the perception of safety seriously - absolutely zero tolerance of bylaw infractions. Said it before, will say it again - transit is not a social service, it is a transportation service.

AoD

Last edited:
Given that TTC has stopped dealing with homeless people and panhandlers in stations, then there's ways to start.

You can't prevent everything, but you can improve safety. If only to remove the tripping hazard in a narrow corridor or platform.

Back