News   Mar 28, 2024
 466     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 387     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 740     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Change of pace...

Does anyone have any film of Toronto Gloucester subway train being pulled or pushed by a Peter Witt streetcar on the streets of Toronto, from Exhibition to Davisville Yard, in the 1950's?

This shows a NYC subway train on the streets in New York City.

random thought I had - has the TTC ever studied a "super-express" bus route connecting both sides of the U in North York? I'm picturing something similar to the 900 Airport Express, maybe going from Sheppard/York Mills to Wilson/Yorkdale using the 401 without stopping. Growing up having to travel a lot around North York, the biggest pain point was always getting across to the other side of the subway, which usually takes forever in traffic. Things will improve with Line 5 coming online soon but this could be a great stop-gap for further north until we get Line 6 extended east or Line 4 extended west.
they have one that runs between Sheppard and Sheppard west.

random thought I had - has the TTC ever studied a "super-express" bus route connecting both sides of the U in North York? I'm picturing something similar to the 900 Airport Express, maybe going from Sheppard/York Mills to Wilson/Yorkdale using the 401 without stopping. Growing up having to travel a lot around North York, the biggest pain point was always getting across to the other side of the subway, which usually takes forever in traffic. Things will improve with Line 5 coming online soon but this could be a great stop-gap for further north until we get Line 6 extended east or Line 4 extended west.
GO Transit offers this. They would have to agree on fares like the 905 agencies, though.

GO Transit offers this. They would have to agree on fares like the 905 agencies, though.
I wish they show the route numbers for the buses on the GO map. End up having to hunt for the corresponding bus route.
system-map-large.png

From link.

A few years ago, during some Line 1 closures (probably 2017?), they operated 32X, 52X, 186X and 196X non-stop branches across the U. Those only lasted for a few closures, so I'm not sure how successful they were.

Last edited:
A few years ago, during some Line 1 closures (probably 2017?), they operated 32X, 52X, 186X and 196X non-stop branches across the U. Those only lasted for a few closures, so I'm not sure how successful they were.
Correction, it lasted one weekend. They advertised there was no shuttles directly on Yonge with only local buses signed 97D.
Riders blasted the TTC hard enough they never tried it again.

People prefer the straightforward route as they think shorter is better.

Super express routes would need premium fare to sustain. Nice to have but difficult to implement as people don’t like major changes to their commute pattern.

This isn't a huge distance, and potentially quite latent high ridership demand. I don't see why you'd need a premium fare to get from Yonge to the Allen faster than you can right now, it's not like this is a Downtown Express route that covers a far distance.
How exactly will this even work? I don't see the corridor type service flying. If you have a 52X shuttling between Lawrence and Lawrence West, it'll save riders 2-3 min while still being stuck in traffic. You can't use the 401 cause it won't actually save any time detouring. Then comes the argument that resources is better off being used elsewhere.

The only way it would work is a huge demand going from Lawrence Station to Yorkdale so they can use the 401. Is there the same demand doing the other way or the buses need to deadhead like the premium expresses? Hence the need of additional fares to make up for the empty run the other way. The other point why a premium fare might be needed is this type of express might fill the bus with 50 riders but only 50 riders would have boarded for the entire trip. A local bus would have around 30 riders at any given time but might have collected fare for 80 riders as riders get on and off.

This exhibit was created a while ago but was closed due to covid. (I think it had just opened or was about to do so.)

March 22, 2022

City of Toronto Archives to open The TTC – 100 Years of Moving Toronto public exhibit

Today, the Toronto Archives will open The TTC – 100 Years of Moving Toronto exhibit. The exhibit is in partnership with the TTC and celebrates its 100th anniversary.

The exhibit explores the history of the TTC including the consolidation of the transit system, growth in the 1920s, fare media, the development of subway lines, female TTC workers during the Second World War, as well as diversity and accessibility at the TTC. The exhibit also features Irma James, the first Black female Streetcar driver, and Lyn Morgan, the first female Lead Hand. Innovations from the 21st century such as low-floor streetcars, electric buses and green roofs at TTC facilities will be showcased as well.

The exhibit is free to attend and will be open on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. More information is available on the City's website: www.toronto.ca/city-government/accountability-operations-customer-service/access-city-information-or-records/city-of-toronto-archives/archives-feature-exhibit/.

The TTC celebrated its centennial anniversary on September 1, 2021. Due to COVID-19 restrictions at the time, the exhibit was launched for online viewing only on the City's website: www.toronto.ca/explore-enjoy/history-art-culture/online-exhibits/web-exhibits/web-exhibits-transportation/the-ttc-100-years-of-moving-toronto/.

Photography exhibits at 12 TTC subway stations will also be on display until July 2022 at Don Mills Station, Kennedy Station, Main Street Station, Bay Station, Kipling Station Finch Station, Queen Station, Union Station, Dupont Station, Spadina Station, St. Clair West Station and Vaughan Metropolitan Station. More information about the photography exhibits is available on the TTC's website: www.ttc.ca/about-the-ttc/TTC-celebrating-100-years-of-moving-Toronto/Photography-Exhibits.

More information on the TTC's 100th anniversary celebration is available on the TTC's website: www.ttc.ca/about-the-ttc/TTC-celebrating-100-years-of-moving-Toronto.

Today has been a fun morning.

Debris at track level ignited this morning. According to what I heard, a feeder cable was coated in grease and leaves which ignited.

TTC Staff doused with it with a fire extinguisher but it reignited leading to a lengthy delay.

The location was the crossover right beside the spur at Warden.

At 8 am-ish power was restored.

20220323_075711.jpg
20220323_075641.jpg

Back