News   Apr 23, 2024
 93     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 329     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

There has been talk here about the CEO's contract. Here is Steve Munro's comment on it.

" I am not sure what the start date of his current contract was. He was acting CEO from December 2017 when Andy Byford left for NYC, and then was confirmed as permanent in July 2018. Even from the earlier date, five years would take us to December 2022. If from the permanent date, even longer.
Also I do not sense any move by the current board to displace him, and he has the advantage of being hated by the union who openly call for his dismissal. That generally works in favour of job security for a CEO."

There has been talk here about the CEO's contract. Here is Steve Munro's comment on it.

" I am not sure what the start date of his current contract was. He was acting CEO from December 2017 when Andy Byford left for NYC, and then was confirmed as permanent in July 2018. Even from the earlier date, five years would take us to December 2022. If from the permanent date, even longer.
Also I do not sense any move by the current board to displace him, and he has the advantage of being hated by the union who openly call for his dismissal. That generally works in favour of job security for a CEO."

I am sure being a CEO without the popularity and charisma (of say Byford) is a plus to both the Board and the union.

AoD

Great stuff, looking forward to TTC operations going further down the toilet hole with that idiot in charge of things. If the board doesn't see a problem with the way he's running things, then I really dont know what else to say.

Not to say that I think he should be removed from his post, but his contract (whenever it expires) should it no way ever be renewed. I think we've really got to pay attention to this, before this turns into some kind of secret renewal process that then somehow gets in front of one of the TTC Board meetings for approval.

Id rather see Steve Munro part of the TTC Board than TTC itself, that way he'll be able to continue being vocal, and get access to information much easier, but more importantly make the TTC more accountable. I find the TTC can take the Board as a joke with how they respond to them. Members on TTC board also don't understand transit enough to properly grill TTC and be a proper oversight. We all know there's no way they'll be able to pull a fast one on Steve. And it was mentioned already, Steve is already retired, making him CEO, a full time position, will give him more stress.
If Steve was a member of the TTC board, he would not be able to share information he learned as a board member where the board voted it to be confidential, and he would have limits (possibly total) on public disagreements with board decisions in which he was the minority. At present the TTC seem content to treat him as media, and thus able to present questions to the Commission and receive some data and answers arising from them, which is more than the general public can. Sometimes, bringing a critic inside your inner circle is the quickest way to legally muzzle them.

Article in question:

I will say that I was wrong about this OPC government and Doug Ford: I expected transit to be screwed, for expansion projects to be halted, and worse. Instead, the government has been focused on delivery (as opposed to talk) and has stepped up to the plate on emergency funding. At least on transit, this government delivers. (I’m not making a value judgement on any other policy area.)

Found on the 17 Birchmount leaving Warden Station earlier..

20220217_180417.jpg

For those heading west through Warden today be advised there signal issues.

I was just waiting for a westbound train when I watched the operator pull the plunger on the signal. This was the last signal just before entering the eastern end of the station.

They are keying by at Warden westbound.

TTC Supports Black Artists In Toronto

I'm really liking this partnership. Hopefully this gets expanded to other ocassions and years.

Dates wrong...

From link.

Frederick Langdon Hubbard, born in 1878, was the son of long-time Toronto alderman William Hubbard and Julia Luckett. He married Grace Isabel Abbott in 1903.

He worked for the Toronto Street Railway from 1906 to 1921, and served as the chair of the Toronto Transit Commission from 1929 to 1930, vice-chair in 1931 and a commissioner from 1932 to 1939.[3]

Frederick also managed the Scarborough Beach Amusement Park in east end Toronto. Hubbard Boulevard is named in his honour.

Grace died 1 Jan 1947. He remarried on 24 Jan 1948 to Mrs. Beatrice Ridgely Hume.[6]

He passed away in 1953[7] and was buried at the Necropolis

Last edited:

TTC Supports Black Artists In Toronto

I'm really liking this partnership. Hopefully this gets expanded to other ocassions and years.
It would be great to have a Black artist, preferably one from the Caribbean, paint the façade of Oakwood station instead of settling for a photo of pick-up sticks that would easily pass for a stock photo:

IMG_3348.jpg

Oakwood station is in the heart of Little Jamaica, and yet, Metrolinx selected something mundane.

Last edited:
It would be great to have a Black artist, preferably one from the Caribbean, paint the façade of Oakwood station instead of settling for a photo of pick-up sticks that would easily pass for a stock photo:

View attachment 381235
Oakwood station is in the heart of Little Jamaica, and yet, Metrolinx selected something mundane.

Just to be clear, Mx selected the standard finish they are using multiple properties. Which, in fairness to them, isn't terrible; though those seams hurt my soul.

But, you're quite right that its bland and doesn't speak to the area at all. I would then go further and say this is a general Mx propensity (most of the new GO Stations look alike, and most of the O/L stations are likely to look the same, which I find terribly unfortunate.

Back