News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Is this always a problem? The situation now is probably because 501 & 504 streetcars are being diverted around the King/Queen intersection because of trackwork. Things are supposed to get back to 'normal' on 24th June. I walk past that area fairly often (though not in last few days) and have not noticed it being a problem.
if there's a streetcar or two holding with their four way hazard lights flashing eastbound on Dundas between Munro St. and Broadview, then yes it's a problem as not a single vehicle can get past them. If there's no streetcar holding between Munro and Broadview there's no problem whatsoever, with streetcars, automobiles and bicycles moving along perfectly well. I've experienced this three times so far in the last week or so, on Saturday there were three streetcars with their four ways flashing just sitting there, and cars on Dundas were backed up to before Sumach.

The fix is easy. Tell the operators they are under no circumstances outside of emergency or mechanical breakdown to hold between River and Broadview. Same as you wouldn't hold a streetcar in the middle of an intersection. Hold somewhere else, maybe on Broadview, or on Dundas before the separated bike lane brings Dundas down to one lane. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the Dundas bike lane, it's just the poor operational planning at the TTC that's frustrating.

if there's a streetcar or two holding with their four way hazard lights flashing eastbound on Dundas between Munro St. and Broadview, then yes it's a problem as not a single vehicle can get past them. If there's no streetcar holding between Munro and Broadview there's no problem whatsoever, with streetcars, automobiles and bicycles moving along perfectly well. I've experienced this three times so far in the last week or so, on Saturday there were three streetcars with their four ways flashing just sitting there, and cars on Dundas were backed up to before Sumach.

The fix is easy. Tell the operators they are under no circumstances outside of emergency or mechanical breakdown to hold between River and Broadview. Same as you wouldn't hold a streetcar in the middle of an intersection. Hold somewhere else, maybe on Broadview, or on Dundas before the separated bike lane brings Dundas down to one lane. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the Dundas bike lane, it's just the poor operational planning at the TTC that's frustrating.
If it's an ongoing problem you need to email TTC via their website (or Twitter); if it is to do with the temporary added traffic due to the diversion they may tell you they have no choice. Complaining here may make all of us feel better but If you actually want to have a change made it is FAR better to tell those who can change things.

If it's an ongoing problem you need to email TTC via their website (or Twitter); if it is to do with the temporary added traffic due to the diversion they may tell you they have no choice. Complaining here may make all of us feel better but If you actually want to have a change made it is FAR better to tell those who can change things.
I'm just avoiding Dundas now. But sure, Tweet sent.

The Finch busway should absolutely, positively NOT be in the Hydro Corridor. Why would you take transit further away from the people trying to use it?

Dan
If the purpose is to serve a local traffic pattern, then no. If it's to serve as a shuttle to Finch station, then yes.
If majority of the ridership comes from mid-block locations, then no, and if it's from nodes at major arterials, then yes.

If the purpose is to serve a local traffic pattern, then no. If it's to serve as a shuttle to Finch station, then yes.
If majority of the ridership comes from mid-block locations, then no, and if it's from nodes at major arterials, then yes.

Exactly. These are express buses, the whole purpose of them are little to no stops, just serving the intermodal destinations.

Exactly. These are express buses, the whole purpose of them are little to no stops, just serving the intermodal destinations.

Those "little to no" stops are generally located at intersections, where passengers can then transfer to local buses or other routes that cross that axis. Or major points-of-interest on Finch itself, which are generally located between major streets.

Move the express buses to a new corridor and you destroy the ability for riders to easily go from local to express services, and vice versa.

You also make it more complicated for riders and frustrate them. If they live north of Finch, do they go north to the Hydro Corridor or south to Finch Ave. E.? If the express buses are running on Finch, that decision doesn't exist, and the only decision that they have to make is whether they take the first bus that arrives.

The Hydro Corridor does make some sense to use for a long-distance, high-speed express service, sure. Interregional, even. But the ridership patterns that the express buses are serving are not nearly long-distance enough to make it make sense.

Dan

Those "little to no" stops are generally located at intersections, where passengers can then transfer to local buses or other routes that cross that axis. Or major points-of-interest on Finch itself, which are generally located between major streets.

Move the express buses to a new corridor and you destroy the ability for riders to easily go from local to express services, and vice versa.

You also make it more complicated for riders and frustrate them. If they live north of Finch, do they go north to the Hydro Corridor or south to Finch Ave. E.? If the express buses are running on Finch, that decision doesn't exist, and the only decision that they have to make is whether they take the first bus that arrives.

The Hydro Corridor does make some sense to use for a long-distance, high-speed express service, sure. Interregional, even. But the ridership patterns that the express buses are serving are not nearly long-distance enough to make it make sense.

Dan
The problem is the Finch Express Bus isn't much faster than the local bus. The hydro corridor provides dedicated right-of-way, a simple two-phase signal at intersections, more transit signal priority, a faster trip for people transfer to north-south routes, and people who live slightly north of Finch.

Dan

Perhaps such a no-stop service would not be a right fit for the TTC. I was imagining a bus that only stopped at say, Finch West, Finch station, Old Cummer, new Finch East GO station. Maybe one or 2 more stops along the way. Perhaps that would be better fitted by a GO bus.

However, a bus doesnt need to stay in a transitway, the bus could easily come off the hydro corridor ROW and onto the street to a destination. The question is whether that saves more time than a ROW on the street that has to contend with other issues.

That being said, ironically some stops would actually be BETTER served in the hydro corridor: Bayview for example, the hydro corridor is actually closer to development and the Shopping Centre, than Finch and Bayview is.

I believe they may include Lawrence East with the priority corridors.
I hope so, but I doubt it will be done by September. Whatever was on the list, (Dufferin, Jane, Finch East, Steeles West, Eglinton East) will be fast-tracked to September. Anything other streets will have to be studied.

I will email my own councillor (Robinson which is also the chair of the TTC) to study the feasibility of bus lanes on Don Mills and Lawrence in future phases of transit priority. Trust me, I would kill for bus lanes on Don Mills or Lawrence.

I hope so, but I doubt it will be done by September. Whatever was on the list, (Dufferin, Jane, Finch East, Steeles West, Eglinton East) will be fast-tracked to September. Anything other streets will have to be studied.

I will email my own councillor (Robinson which is also the chair of the TTC) to study the feasibility of bus lanes on Don Mills and Lawrence in future phases of transit priority. Trust me, I would kill for bus lanes on Don Mills or Lawrence.
Good idea. Lanes on Sheppard east of Don Mills wouldn't hurt either.

I support your position, but would suggest refraining from indulging homicidal impulses. Hard to hop the express bus from the penitentiary! ;)

Back