News   Apr 17, 2024
 571     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 303     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

This is something that comes as a big surprise to me, the TTC is temporarily laying off some staff. I never would've thought I would hear the words "layoff" and "TTC" together, ever. Looking forward to hearing the Union come out on this and start talking non-sense (ie: something to the effect of "this is non-constitutional" or "illegal").

An excellent report for the Residential and Civil Construction Alliance of Ontario by Stephen Wickens is out.

It examines why subway construction costs have soared in Toronto in recent years.

Little will come as a revelation, but its well evidenced and laid out; and makes clear recommendations to get costs back under control so we can build more at a better price. I highly commend it as some light reading!

An excellent report for the Residential and Civil Construction Alliance of Ontario by Stephen Wickens is out.

This would have been far more interesting if they compared to construction of other things in Ontario, like residential buildings and highway projects. The Ontario Line is the most expensive project on the list and doesn't suffer much from the high-risk items listed (deep tunnels, overbuilt stations, etc) except where necessary.

I think they'd find some explanation for cost increase by looking at materials cost, labour cost, safety regulation changes, building code, etc.

This is something that comes as a big surprise to me, the TTC is temporarily laying off some staff. I never would've thought I would hear the words "layoff" and "TTC" together, ever. Looking forward to hearing the Union come out on this and start talking non-sense (ie: something to the effect of "this is non-constitutional" or "illegal").

If the TTC is going to have to lay off staff, usually the ones with seniority will stay on. However there is one problem with that scenario.

5e5fc740fee23d14eb3dd212

From link.

To play it safe, shouldn't the staff that are older than 50 or 60 years of age volunteer to self-isolate at home during this COVID-19? At least ask them if they could volunteer?

It examines why subway construction costs have soared in Toronto in recent years.

Little will come as a revelation, but its well evidenced and laid out; and makes clear recommendations to get costs back under control so we can build more at a better price. I highly commend it as some light reading!

It took me a while to read it. But it's very much worth the read.

TTC and GO staff pay tribute to healthcare workers with hospital row parade tonight

April 30, 2020

Dozens of frontline TTC and GO Transit employees in decorated vehicles will parade down hospital row tonight in support of healthcare workers across the Greater Toronto Area. The initiative was developed at the grassroots by employees from the two transit agencies who wanted to express their gratitude to healthcare workers. Employees enlisted their families to create signs and posters for the parade.

The parade begins around 7:15 p.m. at Queen's Park Cir. and heads south on University Ave. to Edward St. where it will u-turn and travel north to Gerrard St. Toronto Police Services will be supporting and managing movement.

Among the vehicles participating are 14 TTC and six GO buses, Wheel-Trans vehicles, TTC and GO special constable units and a TTC Command Vehicle.

What: Parade to support healthcare workers
Date: TONIGHT - Thurs., April 30, 2020
Time: 7:15 p.m.
Location: Staging at Queen's Park Cir. heading south on University Ave. to Edward St.

TTC and GO staff pay tribute to healthcare workers with hospital row parade tonight

April 30, 2020

Dozens of frontline TTC and GO Transit employees in decorated vehicles will parade down hospital row tonight in support of healthcare workers across the Greater Toronto Area. The initiative was developed at the grassroots by employees from the two transit agencies who wanted to express their gratitude to healthcare workers. Employees enlisted their families to create signs and posters for the parade.

The parade begins around 7:15 p.m. at Queen's Park Cir. and heads south on University Ave. to Edward St. where it will u-turn and travel north to Gerrard St. Toronto Police Services will be supporting and managing movement.

Among the vehicles participating are 14 TTC and six GO buses, Wheel-Trans vehicles, TTC and GO special constable units and a TTC Command Vehicle.

What: Parade to support healthcare workers
Date: TONIGHT - Thurs., April 30, 2020
Time: 7:15 p.m.
Location: Staging at Queen's Park Cir. heading south on University Ave. to Edward St.

I get that they want to show support to front line health care workers but are parades really a good idea at this time. After the last one with the police, fire and ambulance services along with the Mayor many people were questioning if it was a good idea as many people were outside and not just health care workers that weren't standing very far apart. Perhaps this is something that should be done at a later date and not now.

I get that they want to show support to front line health care workers but are parades really a good idea at this time. After the last one with the police, fire and ambulance services along with the Mayor many people were questioning if it was a good idea as many people were outside and not just health care workers that weren't standing very far apart. Perhaps this is something that should be done at a later date and not now.
Also, who's paying for it? TTC and GO have so much extra cash now, surely they don't know what to do with it. /sarcasm

Also, who's paying for it? TTC and GO have so much extra cash now, surely they don't know what to do with it. /sarcasm
I guess you don't know Voluntarily goes along way??? I guess to don't know what that parade did for the workers?? I happen to talk to some of the front line staff who just finish a 12 hour shift and stay to watch the parade and thanks those who had their window open for doing this. This went both ways.

I have never seen TTC command vehicle in my life until today. Got my first look at NFI E-bus 3713. Only BYD E-Bus missing from TTC fleet of buses and every type was there including 2252

Last edited:
April 30
You can see some health workers in this video who were taking photos and not sure if you can hear them saying thanks..

Any money spent on this parade was peanuts, but goes a long way thanking the workers for dealing with this mess as well putting their lives at risk for us.

April 30
You can see some health workers in this video who were taking photos and not sure if you can hear them saying thanks..

Any money spent on this parade was peanuts, but goes a long way thanking the workers for dealing with this mess as well putting their lives at risk for us.
This was extremely inappropriate at this time. Now is not the time for parades of any kind. We need to take a page from the city of Burlington and put a stop to these now until it's deemed safeer to be out and about in the public.

I guess you don't know Voluntarily goes along way??? I guess to don't know what that parade did for the workers?? I happen to talk to some of the front line staff who just finish a 12 hour shift and stay to watch the parade and thanks those who had their window open for doing this. This went both ways.

I have never seen TTC command vehicle in my life until today. Got my first look at NFI E-bus 3713. Only BYD E-Bus missing from TTC fleet of buses and every type was there including 2252
what about that special livery for the GO buses that were used in the parade? were those made and applied on the buses for free? More likely, they had a few employees without anything useful to do, so they've found them this job. Not the best use of taxpayer money

April 30
Car driver try to pass the streetcar illegal with the doors open and the streetcar driver who was walking to the back to lower the pole had some words with tat driver as the car stay put until the doors close.

Far better to left buses on the route until until 4 sections on the curve are rebuilt for pans as well a few straight sections.

April 30
Car driver try to pass the streetcar illegal with the doors open and the streetcar driver who was walking to the back to lower the pole had some words with tat driver as the car stay put until the doors close.

Far better to left buses on the route until until 4 sections on the curve are rebuilt for pans as well a few straight sections.

Wrist slam on the cyclists who went past the open streetcar doors.

April 30

I think the TTC should have had a superior there to do it instead just like how when they sometimes have switches that are regularly used out of order they have had someone at the corner do it when the streetcar aproches.

Back