News   Apr 26, 2024
 86     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 313     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 514     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Anyone here know what happened at Summerhill earlier? I heard watermain break but I did not think that there were large water mains running through the station?

I assume the problem was in the portions that were decked over?

Hmm. Shut down a big segment of the subway to get all the remainder of the year's maintenance done now, and use bus substitutions with all the laid off employees?
That would be a real nightmare for people travelling from the outer reaches to the core, but if they could knock off, say, almost all the outstanding and overdue maintenance for the rest of the year in those ten days with a total subway shutdown then I can understand the value of that that proposal.
Tough decision. Could even use that to speed up ATC installation. May be hard short term but it'll be worth it in the long term.

At this time, closing the Yonge line for 10 days with 2 weekends being part of that time frame will go a long way getting things done sooner than later. Yes, busing will be a pain for those who use that close section daily as well helping in keeping TTC drivers working than lay off unless you can only drive subways.

There been a number of options for Davisville area, but been put off due to oppositions from all sides, but has to be done sooner or later.

If TTC can get this work done on a 7/24 base for those 10 days or so, go for it now. City has to allow TTC the rights to do it with the noise involved.

The Vice Chair of TTC has resign and need to find a new one. Don't say get Steve into that position as her prefer the sideline, though this would give him a better position to ask the hard questions and hold TTC feet to the fire.

Ridership down 20 million

Mean failure for the new fleet has finally spike to 95,884 vs 35,000 contract wise and up to 33,191 for TTC. Huge improvement over 2019, let alone 2018. Cleanness of the fleet an issue and below target.
<The Report>

The Vice Chair of TTC has resign and need to find a new one. Don't say get Steve into that position as her prefer the sideline, though this would give him a better position to ask the hard questions and hold TTC feet to the fire.

Interesting that Alan Heisey has resigned as Vice-Chair (though not as a Commissioner) while Jaye Robinson (the Chair) is still on sick leave. Robinson was not well enough to participate in the e-Council meeting last week so one assumes her return to work is not imminent. Not sure it is good to have the TTC operating without any 'civilian oversight". (Though the Board was never very good at that!)

TTC agenda for special Meeting on May 13, 2020 is up.

View attachment 244706

Note item 6, which certainly raises my eyebrows. That one does not yet have a report up.
From item 12, page 8.
00000.JPG

Aside from highlighting attractions, are they also 1) numbering the exits, 2) replacing "EXIT" with pictogram?
Both I'd like to see happen.

From item 12, page 8.
View attachment 244807
Aside from highlighting attractions, are they also 1) numbering the exits, 2) replacing "EXIT" with pictogram?

The report doesn't mention numbering exits; but keep in mind this is a report to start a formal review of signage, not to approve a final format; that's in 2021, I believe.

I know they will be looking at going bilingual where words are retained. This is likely to happen, as its a requirement on all new subway/LRT lines as they are owned by the province.

I imagine they will use pictograms where practical especially on space-constrained signage.

Reactions: DSC
^Bi
From item 12, page 8.
View attachment 244807

It's possible that the exits are being numbered to specify exits, instead of the street name or building. Many buildings number their exits and entrances for organization and emergencies

The Fed's are pickup 75% of the wages of current employees and this means TTC is only picking up 25% of the employee wage to keep then on the job.

This allows TTC to keep train personnel and maintain current service at an extra cost to run those service and help to keep vehicles at low numbers for riders on them.

TTC has stated that the layoff of employees would save them about $25 million of the $90 million they are currently loosing. With the Fed help for wages, TTC would see about $19 million saving in place of the plan $25 million, but it keeps riders happy and deals with safe spacing better than plan.

You might get 113 to help TTC to save some of that $6 million lost to keep their workers employ.

Since TTC has a long list of LRV's needing work to get them back into service, some of the plan layoff workers maybe able to help there to get cars back into service sooner than later as well bring cars up to BBD require standards.

TTC employees plan for layoff have an option of doing something they weren't hire for at full pay or go home and get less than 40% of their wage, as well having no time frame when they may get recall to work for full pay.
Screenshot_20200515-003816.jpg
hmmmm....

Last edited:
TTC agenda for special Meeting on May 13, 2020 is up.

Note item 6, which certainly raises my eyebrows. That one does not yet have a report up.

Looks like item 6 died before it even got started.

The numbering looks terrible and just adds clutter to signage. I don't recall ever seeing exits being numbered on any subway system.

I know they will be looking at going bilingual where words are retained. This is likely to happen, as its a requirement on all new subway/LRT lines as they are owned by the province.
A dumb requirement though. Toronto isn't a French-language city and their signage is poor already without duplicating everything.

The numbering looks terrible and just adds clutter to signage. I don't recall ever seeing exits being numbered on any subway system.

A dumb requirement though. Toronto isn't a French-language city and their signage is poor already without duplicating everything.
That, in addition to the fact that there are MANY languages spoken here, is why they are trying to use more pictograms. (Of course, these will need to be clear to everyone so ....)

I certainly can't agree that its dumb.

Toronto, while not a 'French City'............does have in/around 400,000 fluent speakers en Francais.

It already has a bilingual English/French University Campus (Glendon); community college (Boreal) and is getting a full-on French University next year.

Its also the capital of a province with 620,000 Francophones, and over 11% of Ontarians are fluently bilingual. That's 1.5M of us.

This is not a big investment, no one is ripping down perfectly good signs; this is about how to design replacements. I don't expect this will be a big deal at all.

I also like the add-on value which is that it makes Toronto 'seem' more international to the world.

That has utility.

Pretty much every system in China has numbered exits, though I haven’t seen that on any systems in the rest of the world.

Back