News   Apr 26, 2024
 133     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 415     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The long gone Cinnabun at Sheppard Yonge station is being replaced with a Starbucks.

There is a plan to fix the station ventilation when the 2nd entrance is built.

TTC invites you on a sentimental streetcar journey

September 20, 2018

This Sunday, the TTC recognizes the 80th anniversary of the PCC streetcar in Toronto by taking one of its two vintage Red Rocket streetcars out for a ceremonial ride downtown.

PCC streetcars first entered service in the city on September 23, 1938. The PCC fleet, more than 740 strong at its peak, was one of the largest in North America and did a venerable job of serving millions of daily transit riders over generations.

The last PCC cars were retired from TTC service in 1995.

Rides on the vintage streetcar will be free of charge on Sunday.

PCC stands for Presidents' Conference Committee.

What: Vintage PCC #4549 will be taking a ceremonial journey downtown Toronto, fare-free.
Where: Serving stops along Queen Street, between Bathurst Street and Church Street.
When: Sunday, September 23, 2018 from approximately 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Why: The TTC is providing an opportunity for the public to take a trip back in time, take photos and celebrate 80 years since the first PCC streetcar entered in service in Toronto.

Agreed!
Thank goodness, Buh Bye Seth:

What happened to Seth Rogen's voice? TTC stopped playing divisive transit PSAs after just one month
https://nationalpost.com/news/toronto/seth-rogen-ttc-announcements#comments-area
First time I heard it, I thought some drunk had grabbed TTC Control's mike...and wondered WTF? It's a challenge as it is understanding even a little of the TTC's pathetic PA system (God help us all in a real emergency).

Goodbye indeed. And I'm still 'looking for anything suspicious' on the TTC as per their droll 'public service announcements'....I thought of reporting the flagrant breaches of fashion sense I keep seeing, but hey..."If you see something, say something"...I do, I've taken their advice and I've started talking to myself. I fit in a lot better with all the zombies talking on their Blew Tooth (sic).

My argument with Rogen is not that they tried it so much as he doesn’t have a great voice for it. I heard his announcements on the subway and his voice got too quiet in parts to be audible

My argument with Rogen is not that they tried it so much as he doesn’t have a great voice for it. I heard his announcements on the subway and his voice got too quiet in parts to be audible

I still say they needed James Earl Jones, Gilbert Godfrey or Arnie doing the announcements. Put a good air raid siren preceding the announcements and nobody will ignore them.

There's far too many redundant and meaningless announcements on the TTC. Their PA intelligibility is pathetically bad, that's reason enough right there to limit its use, they produce noise pollution, but the one that pertains most to public safety is that if the announcements were only used for emergencies, or updates on late and/or cancelled trains, the unwashed masses would be far more likely to take note, or ask someone who did, because be damned if I can understand what they're saying half the time and I'm an audio tech with very good hearing.

Can the natter! And save the intrusions for something necessary.

There's far too many redundant and meaningless announcements on the TTC. Their PA intelligibility is pathetically bad, that's reason enough right there, they produce noise pollutions, but the one that pertains most to public safety is that if the announcements were only used for emergencies, or updates on late and/or cancelled trains, the unwashed masses would be far more likely to take note, or ask someone who did, because be damned if I can understand what they're saying half the time, and I'm an audio tech with good hearing.

Can the natter! And save the intrusions for something necessary.

Perhaps they need to limit announcements to calling for Inspector Sands.

^Mind the Gap! LUL, at least at most stations I'm familiar with, have much better PA quality. It's because of the awareness of need for security that it's so. They also have much more advanced cell phone and wi-fi connectivity, but I digress...

Nonetheless:
Inspector Sands is a code phrase used by public transport authorities in the United Kingdom, including Network Rail and London Underground, to alert staff and other agencies, such as the police, to an emergency or potential emergency such as a fire or bomb scare without alerting the public and creating panic.
Inspector Sands - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspector_Sands

Back