News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 503     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Some other cities have off-peak transit passes. They set them a lot cheaper than peak hour passes, and just require you to pay the regular fare if you try getting on during peak hours.
Some mentality is like, let's make driving harder so people will take transit. And now let's make transit more expensive during rush hour so people will use it off peak. The problem is that it adds grief, not relief, and eventually worse life quality.

About 50% of trips are made using metropasses.

The other 50% are price sensitive.

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that 80 to 90 percent of peak hour transit users are using pre-paid fair media. Peak hour commuters are predominantly daily commuters, and daily commuters have every reason to be buying passes, tickets and tokens.

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that 80 to 90 percent of peak hour transit users are using pre-paid fair media. Peak hour commuters are predominantly daily commuters, and daily commuters have every reason to be buying passes, tickets and tokens.
Commuter take about 20 round-trips per month. That's $120 (with tokens) and $130 (with cash). A Metropass is $146.
I'd guess that many daily commuters don't have a Metropass. I also doubt many pay cash (cash fare was typically more than token price so I think people got used to token if they are frequent users).

"Metropass" should be $3.00 for the first 40 trips, $2.00 for the next 20 trips, and $1.00 for all subsequent trips.

On TTC? Why only 20 round trips per month? Doctor, dentist, errand, run to hardware store. Out to restaurant (who wants to drive and drink?)

Perhaps in 905 suburbia, where they have poor off-peak service, and you don't have most things close to get to.

Daily commuters don't have any reason to buy metropasses except convenience (which is mostly going away with Presto). Like someone else pointed out, commuting alone doesn't cover the cost of a metropass. Most people who buy a metropass are either transit-dependent (that is, they take transit all the time, not just for commuting) or they're sharing the pass between more than one person. Out of the first group, many don't work 9-5 jobs - they work odd hours and often commute off-peak.

On TTC? Why only 20 round trips per month? Doctor, dentist, errand, run to hardware store. Out to restaurant (who wants to drive and drink?)

Perhaps in 905 suburbia, where they have poor off-peak service, and you don't have most things close to get to.

I know that the "lol 905" comments are fun, but most of the people using TTC for nothing but commuting live right inside Toronto (most 905 transit commuters take the Go Train). These people have great off-peak TTC service a couple of blocks from their house (many live within walking distance of a subway station) but drive for everything except commuting, because it's comfortable and convenient, and traffic and parking aren't an issue.

Some other cities have off-peak transit passes. They set them a lot cheaper than peak hour passes, and just require you to pay the regular fare if you try getting on during peak hours.

This would also address some of the two-hour transfer audience like myself -- I'd be glad to use the TTC more when running errands, and those tend to be off-peak.

A cheaper off-peak unlimited transit pass, with a $2-per-trip surcharge or whatever during peak periods, seems to me to be the kind of thing Presto ought to be good at enabling!

About 50% of trips are made using metropasses.

The other 50% are price sensitive.

Yes, about 50% of all trips are made with Metropasses. Of the remainder, 20% are made using Presto - a pre-paid fare card - and another 20% or so are made using tokens, which is another form of pre-paid fare media.

To say that only 50% are price-sensitive however is misleading. These people have paid money up front in order to allow them access to the system. Regardless of the medium, asking them to pay an additional fee to get on after they've already paid to purchase the fare media is going to make a lot of people re-think their choices.

You'd be better off just raising fares.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Regardless of the medium, asking them to pay an additional fee to get on after they've already paid to purchase the fare media is going to make a lot of people re-think their choices.

What if people got the other option: Pay less up-front for unlimited off-peak transit use, and use a token or Presto money if you need to take transit before 9 or between 4 and 6 on a weekday.

Yes, about 50% of all trips are made with Metropasses. Of the remainder, 20% are made using Presto - a pre-paid fare card - and another 20% or so are made using tokens, which is another form of pre-paid fare media.

To say that only 50% are price-sensitive however is misleading. These people have paid money up front in order to allow them access to the system. Regardless of the medium, asking them to pay an additional fee to get on after they've already paid to purchase the fare media is going to make a lot of people re-think their choices.

You'd be better off just raising fares.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Tokens are dead by the end of the year.

Presto is pre-paid, but prices can be adjusted at point of entry. It's essentially a gift card, not a ticket. My presto card is automatically loaded - for all I care I don't spend the money until I get on the streetcar. Every few weeks my credit card gets the "bill" for it.

The only people who would not be financially impacted by different priced peak periods would be metropass holders, at least by the time off peak pricing could be implemented.

According to the report, the TTC will look at using express buses coupled with “transit priority measures” on Yonge St., express buses from stations on Line 2 to provide direct service downtown, and streetcar service improvements.
Okay, I’ll write the report for the TTC:

Due to the lack of spare buses on the fleet, and due to the lack of garage space, it is not yet fesiable to operate express bus service on Yonge Street or along Line 2.
I await payment of my $500 consultancy fee.

Back