News   May 03, 2024
 775     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 496     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 247     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Something that I begun thinking about this morning is how service disruptions on the Yonge line end up affecting the Spadina line and vice versa.

It made me think. Would the prudent thing to do in light of increased service disruptions (due to crowding and other factors) actually be splitting the Yonge and University-Spadina lines?

It would cause chaos at Union Station probably, but it would protect both sections of the line from service disruptions on the other side from affecting it.

I have not developed the thought much beyond the above, just posting to see if anyone else has thoughts on it.

The point I was trying to make was that prior to 1992 the TTC focused more on building extensions or new lines (Eglinton Subway, Harbourfront LRT, SRT, Etc) while forgetting to maintain what they had. It lead to David Gunn nearly condemning the North Yonge extension for safety reasons. It is one of the reasons we had Line 1 closed north of Eglinton for so long overnight.

Yes we expanded after the video was made but there was a shift away from capital expenditures to SOGR which is still the focus today. Yes we build but we also maintain what we have.

And Gunn was so annoyed by the extension to Downsview at the time that he didn't even bother to show up at the opening that the time; we all knew how he felt about the extension to VMC.

We can look back from this article in 2011 and see how much of it has borne out:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...cision-ever-former-head-warns/article2086415/

AoD

Last edited:
The 6 BAY trolley bus was the most frequent and most traveled trolley bus operation until the technology was abandoned in 1993. Today, the 6 BAY diesel bus has 4 minute headways during the morning peak and 5 minute 30 second headways during the afternoon peak. According to this link:

The TTC would later go on record saying that it regretted its decision to remove streetcars from Bay Street. During rush-hours especially, the route proved to be a popular alternative to the subway, and the skyscrapers which developed downtown during the 1960s and the 70s produced a canyon which trapped the fumes from diesel buses. The line proved to be ideal to convert to trolley bus operation in the mid 1970s, using equipment made surplus by the North Yonge subway extension and the conversion of the 97 YONGE trolley bus to diesel operation. The BAY trolley bus was the most frequent and most travelled trolley bus operation until the technology was abandoned in 1993.

Judging by the recent problems the TTC had with Line 1, having streetcars on Bay Street would have been a much better alternative than the shuttle buses pressed into service whenever there are problems on Line 1.

Some major service changes coming up February 19:

Streetcar
  • In order to increase service along King Street, 503 Kingston Road will be converted back to streetcars and get new weekday midday service every 9 minutes, and 514 Cherry will get additional midday and evening services Sunday to Friday.
  • 502 Downtowner will become peak only as a result of midday 503 service.
  • 505 Dundas will be converted to buses due to streetcar shortage and upcoming track work.
  • 506 Carlton / 306 Carlton will be converted to buses due to streetcar shortage and upcoming track work. 506 will be temporarily extended to High Park Station due to track work at High Park Loop, while 306 will continue to operate to Dundas West Station.
  • 511 Bathurst will be converted back to streetcars.
Bus
  • 12 Kingston Rd / 302 Kingston Rd-McCowan will no longer serve Variety Village after 22:30 weekdays and 17:30 weekends.
  • 190 Scarborough Centre Rocket will have a new stop at Agincourt GO Station to facilitate transfer to Stouffville Line.

Actually the website mentioned 2,500 per train, not 2,000. Though to be fair, the MTR system with the super generous platforms and access is sized for it; our system, not so much. I would be super afraid of Y+B is ours hit half that.

AoD
It is sad that TTC can't carry half of MTR's capacity. If there are people on the platform that can't get on, the bottleneck is train capacity, not the platform. Since people love to stand at the doors, getting 5 door sets and perimeter seating isn't a bad idea. TTC can get trains to carry up to 1200-1300 instead of the 1080 on the TRs pushing the number to 40,000 pphpd. The dwelling time would be similar to today for more capacity with an extra door set.

The subway could move 40,000 people per hour per direction easily if TTC went with the Hong Kong MTR setup. They employ 5 doors instead of 4 with full perimeter seating.

They do claim they can move 2000 people in an 8 car train every 2 minutes or 75,000 pphpd: https://www.mtr.com.hk/en/corporate/operations/detail_worldclass.html

2,000*30 = 60,000 pphpd, but nice try.

Actually the website mentioned 2,500 per train, not 2,000. Though to be fair, the MTR system with the super generous platforms and access is sized for it; our system, not so much. I would be super afraid of Y+B is ours hit half that.

AoD

That explains a lot, my bad.

Also, more factors restrict peak point capacity than just train size and headways. I mentioned last week that’s it’s doubtful that Line 1 can handle 36,000 pphpd, without major station rebuilds.

Once (if) 36,000 pphpd is achieved on Line 1, Bloor-Yonge Station is going to be a huge pedestrian flow nightmare. The Line 2 platforms are extremely crowded at present. With ATO on Line 1, up to 28% more passengers will be transferring from Line 1 to Line 2, but Line 2 frequencies will stay constant. The result will be huge overcrowding on the Line 2 platforms.

We have absolutely no plan in place to deal with it.

Back