News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 999     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

That's because most of the EVs that are driven today didn't exist six years ago. If anything, they'll have longer lifespans because they don't have many of the problems that send ICE cars to junkyard - no engine lubrication concerns, no automatic transmission issues, no emissions testing failures.

I cant comment on future tech but there are still EV related problems chiefly being the battery itself which is the bulk of the cost. degradation, post warranty issues, not to mention a whole host of potential electric gremlins that will cost a fortune
each time a fault pops up at year 9.

Yes. And in these cases people are taking transit for the convenience, even if it's costing them more money. And given that 25% of TTC riders have a family income of $85,000+, I'd expect a ton of the TTC's ridership is coming from riders taking it for pure convineuce, and not because they have no other option due to affordability.

what "convenience"?
Unless one lives within 5 minutes from a subway station and his destination is within 5 minutes from a subway station, which is very rare in Toronto considering our low coverage, the TTC is seldom more convenient than a car.
People take the TTC to save money (parking, gas etc.). Convenience? Whenever it involves a bus, it is NEVER convenient. And think about the 5 month winter and our unpredictable schedule.
We are not Paris.

Get this fact straight: the TTC is not convenient.

what "convenience"?
Unless one lives within 5 minutes from a subway station and his destination is within 5 minutes from a subway station, which is very rare in Toronto considering our low coverage, the TTC is seldom more convenient than a car.
People take the TTC to save money (parking, gas etc.). Convenience? Whenever it involves a bus, it is NEVER convenient. And think about the 5 month winter and our unpredictable schedule.
We are not Paris.

well 95% true. The only time it may be convenient is if one is getting on and off within the DT core area. any further and yea...its a hindrance.
I wish I was back in japan....... now thats convenient

what "convenience"?
We are not Paris.

You're making the assumption that the only thing impacting convenience is time. It's not. For example, many people dislike driving, and especially dislike stressful rush hour driving, so they'd rather take public transit. And finding parking, especially in the downtown core, can be an aggravating experience. You don't know if you'll be able to find a spot, and even when you do find a spot you have to worry about not being parked too long. Not an issue on the TTC.

Furthermore, time spent driving is essentially wasted time, where you can't do anything else but drive, while on public transit you can spend that time reading, working or wasting time playing candy crush.

Speaking personally, 90% of the time I'll choose to take a 30 to 35 min TTC trip downtown over a 20 minute car trip because the TTC experience is more convenient and less aggravating. Only time I'll drive downtown is if I have absolutely no time to spare.

It's a fairly common refrain amongst Torntonians, and dwellers of basically any large city, that driving into downtown is something to be avoided.

Convenience? Whenever it involves a bus, it is NEVER convenient. And think about the 5 month winter and our unpredictable schedule.
We are not Paris.

The 192 Airport Rocket is the most convenient thing going. Especially in the middle of a blizzard, when everything else is worse.

We do badly by not giving our surface transit enough traffic priority, true, and our surface vehicles are far too often overcrowded. They are far less attractive than they could be. But often it is convenient enough.

- Paul

The 192 Airport Rocket is the most convenient thing going. Especially in the middle of a blizzard, when everything else is worse.
Agreed. Had to get to the airport during a snowstorm in February and it took less than an hour from Bloor-Yonge. Driving would have taken longer, and the UP Express wouldn't have been as convenient with all the walking I'd have to do at Union.

Toronto has about 3 months of consistently below 0 temperatures. about 5 months with the "shoulder period" of -2 - +5 degree weather.

January and February are the only two months where we're guaranteed to see below freezing temperatures nearly every day of the month. December and March oscillate considerably between spring/fall-like temps and winter temps. I'd say Toronto has 3.5 months of winter.

Toronto hit 16°C (on the PLUS side) in February, 2016. See link. How soon we forget.

And yet there was also flurries mid March this year.

And I remember flurries as early as Thanksgiving over a decade ago.

Winter is relative.
Although, I recall this past winter being quite up and down, alternating between cold and mild.
3 months guaranteed winter, with unpredictable weather through November and March.

Back