News   Apr 16, 2024
 136     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 531     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Has anyone noticed the large number of subway cars without air conditioning on the Bloor-Danforth line? It seems to be getting worse by the day. There is nothing more frustrating than getting into a subway car with stifling heat. I complained several times to the TTC last year but it doesn’t seem like they are doing anything about it. I started keeping track of the car numbers and dates so that I can quickly glance at it before boarding a subway car:
upload_2016-6-6_19-11-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-6_19-10-52.png
    upload_2016-6-6_19-10-52.png
    175.7 KB · Views: 199
  • upload_2016-6-6_19-11-4.png
    upload_2016-6-6_19-11-4.png
    175.7 KB · Views: 830
Needs platform doors on the subway platforms.

Not only that, you need ATO and someone on the train encase there is an issue with the train. Been on them with a person on the train.

Its the future and one reasons TTC going to one man crew on the Sheppard line soon.

To add to Megaton's post, East end garages will be the last to have Presto units installed as crews are working from West to East.

To add to Megaton's post, East end garages will be the last to have Presto units installed as crews are working from West to East.
Malvern will get it before Eglinton and Birchmount.

That means downtown routes like the 94 Wellesley, 121 Fort-York-Esplanade, 65 Parliament and Eastern Old Toronto routes won't have them when routes servicing STC has it.

Malvern will get it before Eglinton and Birchmount.

That means downtown routes like the 94 Wellesley, 121 Fort-York-Esplanade, 65 Parliament and Eastern Old Toronto routes won't have them when routes servicing STC has it.
Yes, if this is their roll-out plan it does not make too much sense to have to use tickets/tokens on downtown buses while Presto can be used on all streetcars and subways. It is particularly annoying to us a route that is split between busses and streetcars (504 King and, I assume, 514 Cherry) where you never know which kind of vehicle is going to arrive. I realise they can't do everything overnight but cannot quite see why they would not convert garages that also serve streetcar routes sooner than later.

Yes, if this is their roll-out plan it does not make too much sense to have to use tickets/tokens on downtown buses while Presto can be used on all streetcars and subways. It is particularly annoying to us a route that is split between busses and streetcars (504 King and, I assume, 514 Cherry) where you never know which kind of vehicle is going to arrive. I realise they can't do everything overnight but cannot quite see why they would not convert garages that also serve streetcar routes sooner than later.
Exactly, I found this rollout plan bizarre. I would have though for sure that they would start with the routes that intersect streetcar lines...then people can have seamless transfers from streetcars to buses. I just had friends visiting, and it was harder than explaining baseball to a European to explain when to take or not take a transfer.

Reactions: DSC
On TTC website I found this reasoning: See: http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Fare_information/Presto_Fare_System/Presto_FAQ.jsp

When will PRESTO be available on buses?
PRESTO card readers are being installed on TTC buses now. The installation on buses will be phased in over eight months and buses will be put into service the morning after a PRESTO device has been installed. By the end of 2016, PRESTO will be available across the TTC’s bus and Wheel-Trans fleet. During this transition you should carry tokens or exact cash, in case your bus does not have PRESTO yet.

What if the bus I’m boarding does not have a PRESTO card reader?
You will need to pay the regular TTC fare by cash, ticket, token or Metropass.

How was the installation schedule determined?
Queensway is our smallest bus garage, providing an opportunity to discover and correct issues prior to full roll-out across the TTC. It also aligns with the PRESTO fare gate roll-out, which is taking place at the remaining subway stations that do not have PRESTO. The fare gate roll-out is concentrating on stations serviced by streetcars, and stations in the downtown core first, moving to the remaining stations so that all subway stations, buses and TTC Wheel-Trans vehicles will have PRESTO by the end of 2016.

How many buses are being equipped each night?
On average, 10 buses a night are being equipped with PRESTO devices. Once these buses have card readers installed they are activated and ready for service.

With card readers at the front and back of the bus, does this mean I can board at the backdoor?
No. All-door boarding is not available on buses - only streetcars. The only time you can board through the backdoors, other than in a station is if the bus is a shuttle bus or if it is operating on a streetcar. You must board the bus at the front doors and take a paper transfer from the operator if your journey involves another bus.

How will I know when a bus has PRESTO?
Buses that have PRESTO card readers on them will have a PRESTO ready card in the front window of the bus. If the bus does not have this card, it does not have PRESTO readers on it.

When should I take a transfer?
If you are a PRESTO card user and are planning on taking another bus or entering a subway station that does not have PRESTO you should take a paper transfer from the operator after tapping your card.

Will buses be rolled out by routes or individually?
They will be rolled out individually. If you are a PRESTO card holder you should be prepared to pay your fare with tokens or exact cash, in case your bus does not have PRESTO. You may continue to use legacy fare media (tickets, tokens, cash and Metropasses) on our entire fleet while we transition to PRESTO.

Why wouldn’t you roll buses out route by route instead of individually?
The installation at each garage will be faster if buses are done individually instead of by route. Buses are not allocated to specific routes on a day-to-day basis.

How long will it take before multiple routes have PRESTO available?
It will take a few months and a few bus divisions before multiple routes have buses with PRESTO available on them. We are committed to installing devices as quickly as possible. We will let you know as soon as we have multiple routes available. We anticipate that this will happen early this summer.

Exactly, I found this rollout plan bizarre. I would have though for sure that they would start with the routes that intersect streetcar lines...then people can have seamless transfers from streetcars to buses. I just had friends visiting, and it was harder than explaining baseball to a European to explain when to take or not take a transfer.
The TTC website note above says:

What do I do if I use PRESTO and my streetcar has been short-turned?
Before you get off the streetcar that is being short-turned go to the front and get a transfer from the operator. When you get onto the new streetcar do not tap your card.

The TTC website note above says:

What do I do if I use PRESTO and my streetcar has been short-turned?
Before you get off the streetcar that is being short-turned go to the front and get a transfer from the operator. When you get onto the new streetcar do not tap your card.

However all of the Presto information printed ON BOARD STREETCARS adjacent to the system map, and at placards in stations and at stops, says otherwise. Not every customer has happened to see that page on the site, and it is the TTC's responsibility to ensure it is communicated to passengers.

June 13
Only about 70 feet to go to complete the retaining wall at the Exhibition Loop. New track work taking place east of the last section and it looks they have removed the top coat of the concrete for the track beside the new one being build. Too far away to get a close shot of it to make sure other than they where blowing the area.

The overhead has been upgraded to pan or been that way for some time on the south side.

As I arrived at Islington 4 hours late than plan, the subway just shut down do to a fire at Old Mills Station. It didn't take long for the concourse to fill up by riders looking for the shuttle bus. They were first told it was bay 2, but it close off due to structural issues. I caught my plan 110 only to be force off it as it was to become a shuttle bus. This piss off a number of riders on the bus to the point they refused to get off to the point the bus went out of service waiting for the enforcers. Good thing I had a choice of any of the 110 routes, as they all got me where I was going, but for the other riders it would be another 20 minutes for the next one. Not sure if I would had done the same if I had to use that route.

Had a look at College and Bathurst intersection and it is completly converted to pans. Was tick off at myself for not looking at the Dundas intersection when I was just there.

Had a look at Roncesvalles Yard and never seen it empty as it was with only one car there. TTC has installed numberous new poles all over the place with more to come. Track 13 & 14 have been converted to pans and start working on 15 to the new extension. All the tracks for 16 up have been rebuilt with work still taking place on 22. Tracks 16 & 17 are the only ones with overhead at this time that is now ready for pans. Cars line up on all tracks in the carhouse and will have to be back out to get into service if needed.

Sunnyside loop still has to be converted along with eveything on Queen and the intersection as well 504 route.

Was talking to a driver who was fustrated from waiting for his car to start his shift on the 505 going north. He stated 504 really sucks these days and hate doing service on it. Had to wait 10 minutes for an eastbound 504 when I got there that show 2 to arrive in 10 and no idea how long other riders have been waiting. When the show up, one was a bus.

Back