News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

?

Are you meaning because of the delays that occur in the peak, when trains have to hold before leaving or entering as another train must cross in front of their path?
Toronto terminal stations tend to have the crossovers before the platforms.
met-ops-terminal.gif

Elsewhere in the world, they use loops located beyond the platforms.
met-ops-loop.gif

Others (like in Montréal) use pocket tracks or reversing tracks.
met-ops-siding.gif

From link.

From the above story, the key bits:

1672852456086.png

- More outreach workers sure, absolutely.

- More security, sure, but I'd rather we deployed proper police, at least some in partnership with mental health professionals. Cut the 50 to 30 of the better trained and resourced variety and I'm fine w/it.

- Fare Freeze for Monthly passes should be abolition of monthly passes, replaced by fare capping.

- Fares should also be capped for Students/Seniors.

According to the witnesses, sounds like mental illness/drugs were a factor yet again.

Man pushed on tracks during evening rush at Bloor-Yonge station: police​

According to the witnesses, sounds like mental illness/drugs were a factor yet again.

Man pushed on tracks during evening rush at Bloor-Yonge station: police​

I wonder how many progressive politicians actually take the subway on a frequent basis.

Why the hyper fixation on platform screen doors? It would be much more useful to have the treatment available so that the unhinged don't push people into roadways or off bridges instead.

Yeah, I'm not going to join TTC Riders et al. in condemning this fare increase - but only as long as property taxes are raised higher than the standard to help make up the shortfall at the city. I'm not big on hiring more special constables either, but it's an easy way to show "we're doing something" - perhaps they should have a staffed-at-all-times kiosk at Bloor-Yonge to be permanently close to potential incidents but also have a customer support role for passengers to report minor issues, ask questions, etc.

I wholeheartedly support daily and monthly fare capping too.

Yeah, I'm not going to join TTC Riders et al. in condemning this fare increase - but only as long as property taxes are raised higher than the standard to help make up the shortfall at the city. I'm not big on hiring more special constables either, but it's an easy way to show "we're doing something" - perhaps they should have a staffed-at-all-times kiosk at Bloor-Yonge to be permanently close to potential incidents but also have a customer support role for passengers to report minor issues, ask questions, etc.

They have a booth at Bloor Yonge on the Southbound Platform. Union Station has one too.

It is a permanently staffed crowd control booth I believe. Recently upgraded.

Reactions: max
Why the hyper fixation on platform screen doors? It would be much more useful to have the treatment available so that the unhinged don't push people into roadways or off bridges instead.
Treatment is a 20 year issue, but the screen doors will take 30 due to no ATC.

We have like a 20% shortfall due to covid, if no funding comes through taxes are going up 30% just to cover that, imagine how much more it would need to be to fix all our backlogs?

It is important to note that Platform Edge Doors have benefits that extend well beyond preventing the odd 'intentional' push/crime.

They can serve to significantly reduce litter/debris on the tracks which is a frequent cause of smoke/fire.

They can reduce instances of people dropping something on the tracks accidentally (keys/wallet/phone) and then either choosing to go down to the tracks (illegally) to fetch it themselves or having to have TTC staff do so.

They can eliminate unintentional falls to the tracks (see people racing down the yellow strip at the times.)

They can eliminate one form of suicide, something that can't always be predicted by outward behavior prior to it happening.

There is much to recommend their installation.

Treatment is a 20 year issue, but the screen doors will take 30 due to no ATC.

Line 1 is entirely ATC.

ATC will be rolled out on Line 2 over the next decade.

I think we can getting most PED installation done in 20 years rather than 30.

Line 1 is entirely ATC.

ATC will be rolled out on Line 2 over the next decade.

I think we can getting most PED installation done in 20 years rather than 30.
Who says 10 years for line 2? They're going to install block signals on the new part then move the system over. It'll take decades to get it run to every station since the TTC doesn't seem to support doing PSD's before the entire line is ready.

Back