News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

From the updated TOInView info here are the TTC track projects listed for 2023 and 2024
What's all the TTC "new subway station construction" work in the area bounded by Yonge, Richmond, Church, and King, from 2024 to 2025. They already had shown King station elevator and nearby streetcar track work in 2022 and 2023.

There's something similar for TTC ("construction of a new subway station") in the area bounded by Dundas St W, Bloor, and Perth from 2023 to 2026. Be still my heart, is that the connection from Bloor GO to Dundas West station? The Metrolinx layer also shows something from 2023 to 2025 between the two stations.

Can you take this green BS to another thread?
While his rhetoric isn't great, the point he's making is valid. Even assuming that you have a grid run entirely on oil, power plant energy will always be more efficient than energy made in an ICE, so other than the negative externalities caused by mining Lithium, you are ahead. And if your grid isn't fully fossil fuels based? There's basically nothing to concern yourself with.

Should those folks have bothered to come out and vote Penalosa instead of Tory, sure, I'd agree with that happily enough. But the reality is, his campaign started late, was under-funded and got insufficient media attention. Gil is a great policy wonk, but not the most charismatic fellow; and dislodging a well-monied incumbent is not an easy affair unless they are truly despised.
Given Gil's latest comments on Streetcars, I feel like this comment will age quite poorly.

It feels every day I get more ashamed for supporting the guy.

Interesting. According to this, 80% of the $53M increase is for the operation of the Finch W and Crosstown lines (?). Only an additional $10M is going for safety, expansion of the low-income subsidy and inflationary pressures.

I was underwhelmed by Tory’s response to the challenges facing the TTC and I’m even more so now.

Fine

Ontario Line

Ummm, opposite ends of the Queen/501, relatively short distances, very inefficent use of resources and poor scheduling.

They need to give the the Bathurst Car its own ROW here, there's enough room; that this on the calendar for 2024 and I don't remember any process or discussion around it concerns me that this will be an opportunity squandered.

I hope to be proven wrong.

Is this not in the current project on College? If not, that's ridiculous.
I think the 2022 College project ends at Bay. The section from Bay to Yonge is to come.....

It’s pretty clear to me that the TTC can’t run frequent streetcars even if it had its own ROW. I’m almost unsure what giving them a ROW accomplishes.

1672923884507.png

Given Gil's latest comments on Streetcars, I feel like this comment will age quite poorly.

This?

I feel like the most offensive part of this is his assertion that "soon", buses will be driverless. Yeah right. Tesla can't even reach an acceptable stage with their own driverless software and he wants me to believe "soon", every bus will be able to drive itself?

I feel like the most offensive part of this is his assertion that "soon", buses will be driverless. Yeah right. Tesla can't even reach an acceptable stage with their own driverless software and he wants me to believe "soon", every bus will be able to drive itself?

Tesla is pretty far from an industry leader on this type of feature. Musk is an excellent salesman but he's usually selling an idea and happy feelings rather than actual technology.

I wouldn't put a timeline on buses in North America. Due to the number of people involved, a catastrophic failure would be a huge deal (it's why buses stop at train tracks when nothing else is required to).

Waymo, Cruise, and Baidu all have some form of fully driverless vehicle offering commercial service in regions without snowfall. All 3 have somewhat aggressive expansion plans for late 2023 (deployment of thousands of vehicles in additional locations).

Last edited:
I wouldn't put a timeline on buses in North America. Due to the number of people involved, a catastrophic failure would be a huge deal (it's why buses stop at train tracks when nothing else is required to).
Rightfully and thankfully so.

It’s pretty clear to me that the TTC can’t run frequent streetcars even if it had its own ROW. I’m almost unsure what giving them a ROW accomplishes.
While it is true that having a ROW does not guarantee that streetcar routes will be managed properly, I think the detailed charts by Steve Munro do show that routes with ROWs are generally a bit better managed with fewer 'packs' running head to tail. One day we will get a TTC with competent managers a Board that insist on proper route management and having ROWs will make their task a bit easier!

Interesting. According to this, 80% of the $53M increase is for the operation of the Finch W and Crosstown lines (?). Only an additional $10M is going for safety, expansion of the low-income subsidy and inflationary pressures.

I was underwhelmed by Tory’s response to the challenges facing the TTC and I’m even more so now.
I'll give him the tiniest bit of credit for ponying up an additional $10 million essentially towards marginal service/safety improvements, but yeah our fearless leader is a joke for the most part.

While his rhetoric isn't great, the point he's making is valid. Even assuming that you have a grid run entirely on oil, power plant energy will always be more efficient than energy made in an ICE, so other than the negative externalities caused by mining Lithium, you are ahead. And if your grid isn't fully fossil fuels based? There's basically nothing to concern yourself with.
:rolleyes: Cost. Reliability. Major issues remaining unaddressed.

I don’t get why he still is, or ever was relevant. His plan to be mayor was 100% him just trying to boost his consulting and his name in Canada.

Back