News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 601     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Dont buy that BS from them, that's only half the reason. The other half is due to cost cutting, plain and simple.

They're just using the disguise of "operator shortage" for their own convenience to minimize the blood on their hands. Ever since the cutting, its very common to see B-D line trains packed as if it's rush hour during the evening periods. Apparently COVID is no longer a thing, and we can pack up trains to the brim. Which is funny because they are telling people to wear masks on vehicles, as if that makes a difference when the train is packed to near capacity.
While there is quite a bit of fear within the operator community about the cuts being a fiscal exercise, the fact of the matter is that prior to this board period starting - with its service reductions - there were hundreds of pieces of work being left open across the system every day. Since this board period started, the amount of open work has dropped substantially despite the fact that a healthy proportion of the workforce has been told to stay home. There are still runs not being operated each day, but the numbers are now in the dozens, rather than hundreds.

Dan

Reactions: DSC
Subway service since the middle of November seems to have slowed down. I thought it was a one off but I’ve been noticing more so lately. Guess they padded the schedules on the subway more than ever.

Line 2 has been a shitshow in the rush hour. 2 months ago you could get a seat on the train or at the very least not be standing in a packed car. Since mid-November it has been packed tight in the rush hour.

Leaving Warden at 7 am heading west, the trains are standing room only. Heading East from Yonge at 4:45 PM the trains are crammed and packed tight. The platform at Yonge is packed in the evening rush to boot.

Honestly, the service has got alot worse on Line 2.

Standing room only westbound at 7 AM is how I remember it, when I used to do that commute, years ago. Has service got worse than the small drop in service starting November 21, or are travel levels rebounding on Route 2 from Covid?

Standing room only westbound at 7 AM is how I remember it, when I used to do that commute, years ago. Has service got worse than the small drop in service starting November 21, or are travel levels rebounding on Route 2 from Covid?

I have not seen it this bad in years. It only started when they spaced out the trains a bit more.

I have not seen it this bad in years. It only started when they spaced out the trains a bit more.
Interesting. Used to get to the point westbound in AM peak that they started leaving people behind between Greenwood and Pape.

I've certainly noticed more people eastbound in PM peak - but nothing like it used to be. But I've noticed that people are travelling earlier than they used to - so perhaps that stretches things out more. Getting more like Ottawa where rush-hour starts at 3 pm, and no gap between schools and adults.

While there is quite a bit of fear within the operator community about the cuts being a fiscal exercise, the fact of the matter is that prior to this board period starting - with its service reductions - there were hundreds of pieces of work being left open across the system every day. Since this board period started, the amount of open work has dropped substantially despite the fact that a healthy proportion of the workforce has been told to stay home. There are still runs not being operated each day, but the numbers are now in the dozens, rather than hundreds.

Dan
Definitely I've heard about the amount of runs that weren't operated over the past few months due to the lack of crews, which led to hundreds of scheduled buses/streetcars/trains not operating as originally scheduled. Thus the reason why many customers would not see their vehicle coming at it's designated scheduled time (ie: no shows).

The service "restructuring" we've just seen pretty much cuts those runs, with additional runs as well (plus planned new routes not launching as previously planned). What's interesting is that the TTC claims they are hiring "hundreds" of operators in the remaining portion of the year, so they can be trained up and ready to go for Q1 2022. There are so many contradictions to what the TTC has been claiming over the past couple weeks/months, it's obvious that someone is lying through their teeth regarding the whole situation.

Definitely I've heard about the amount of runs that weren't operated over the past few months due to the lack of crews, which led to hundreds of scheduled buses/streetcars/trains not operating as originally scheduled. Thus the reason why many customers would not see their vehicle coming at it's designated scheduled time (ie: no shows).

The service "restructuring" we've just seen pretty much cuts those runs, with additional runs as well (plus planned new routes not launching as previously planned). What's interesting is that the TTC claims they are hiring "hundreds" of operators in the remaining portion of the year, so they can be trained up and ready to go for Q1 2022. There are so many contradictions to what the TTC has been claiming over the past couple weeks/months, it's obvious that someone is lying through their teeth regarding the whole situation.
You seem to have forgotten that something like 10% of drivers are also not driving right now due to not having been vaccinated/not willing to share proof of vaccination.

So there is now a situation where not only were there these hundreds of open runs, but fewer drivers around to try and fill them. Thus why they had to go through the drastic program of cutting service.

The TTC has been on a hiring spree since August or so, but the general rule is that something like only about 40% of those people that go through the hiring program even make it to one year of employment. It will take quite a bit of time to get enough bums in the seats to restore service.

Dan

You seem to have forgotten that something like 10% of drivers are also not driving right now due to not having been vaccinated/not willing to share proof of vaccination.

So there is now a situation where not only were there these hundreds of open runs, but fewer drivers around to try and fill them. Thus why they had to go through the drastic program of cutting service.

The TTC has been on a hiring spree since August or so, but the general rule is that something like only about 40% of those people that go through the hiring program even make it to one year of employment. It will take quite a bit of time to get enough bums in the seats to restore service.

Dan
I guess only time will tell if service will truly be restored once more ops are trained and fully ready to go (purely accounting for that ~40% you mentioned). Based on what Metrolinx has been reporting with their crews, once that unvaccinated/unwilling to share proof of vaccination portion of the workforce realizes that they arent getting a paycheck, that number tends to shrink a little more as the weeks go on.

So let's see if that ~10% shrinks down to something like 6-7% over the next couple weeks, and the new hires can make up the rest.

Councillor Minnan-Wong was up to his usual antics at the last Infrastructure and Environment Ctte; asking for modelling on the construction impacts on traffic on Victoria Park Avenue.

Sounds innocuous enough, but he wants the data in order to fight 'Rapid TO' lanes on VP.

1638981730905.png

Sounds innocuous enough, but he wants the data in order to fight 'Rapid TO' lanes on VP.

Sigh. Nobody else is moving when a lane is closed for construction, whereas all kinds of additional people are moving when a lane is converted to transit only. I don't see how construction-based modeling is relevant...

Sigh. Nobody else is moving when a lane is closed for construction, whereas all kinds of additional people are moving when a lane is converted to transit only. I don't see how construction-based modeling is relevant...

Its not.

Not only for that reason either.

I happened to drive up VP through this not so long ago; and the manner in which they have organized the work is a bit odd.

They have traffic entirely on the west (southbound) side, at the southern limit of the project, before it switches sides 3 blocks in, then switches again 2 blocks later.

Its very swervy.

It also lacks dedicated turn lanes at most spots, excepting Lawrence, resulting in cars getting stuck behind turning vehicles.

One would take for granted these types of things would not the be the case with a permanent road alteration.

Last edited:
I was walking through College Station this morning and it occured to me that they haven't changed the signage since February 13th 1999...

It also occured to me that I'm old enough to have gotten a behind the scenes tour of the gardens as a functional NHL arena.

View attachment 368121
Maple Leaf Gardens still exists, albeit under a different name. It could be newer.

Clarification: it used the Maple Leaf Gardens name until, like, 2010.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC
Maple Leaf Gardens still exists, albeit under a different name. It could be newer.

Clarification: it used the Maple Leaf Gardens name until, like, 2010.

IIRC the building itself is still named Maple Leaf Gardens (or "The Gardens" to avoid any trademark issues), which is probably why they haven't changed it.

Back