2.6K     1 
News   Jan 24, 2020
 844     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
On 4 different routes yesterday and found 4 cars with either one or both fare machines out of service on them.

Looks like 512 cars raise the pans at Bathurst Station Loop as it left the loop with the pan up as I hit the platform. It was behind An CLRV that was departing with another behind the LRV.

506 had huge gaps and long wait, and saw no CLRV's on it, considering there were CLRV's on it.

Seen a lot of riders taking the chance of beating the system by ridding free and not paying a fare.

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
TTC Capital and Operating budgets are up:

Capital:

One graphic from the report:

1576271800857.png

The following items are in the plan (some partial, some full)

Bloor-Yonge capacity enhancement, fully funded, 2020-2029 (yes, you read that, they have it costed over 10 full years) @ 1.5B

Line 2 ATC signalling is partially funded with all the planning required funded through 2024.

Line 2 replacement rolling stock is essentially unfunded; though there is some money for T1 life extension

Platform Edge doors are in, partially. There's a study above, but the total budget reads as though 270M is earmarked, well short of what's needed for the whole system, but it suggests implementation may be in the offing at select stations. (1.01B unfunded)

New streetcars are as yet unfunded.

Operating Budget is here:

Last edited:

raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
TTC Capital and Operating budgets are up:

Capital:

One graphic from the report:

View attachment 220049

The following items are in the plan (some partial, some full)

Bloor-Yonge capacity enhancement, fully funded, 2020-2029 (yes, you read that, they have it costed over 10 full years) @ 1.5B

Line 2 ATC signalling is partially funded with all the planning required funded through 2024.

Line 2 replacement rolling stock is essentially unfunded; though there is some money for T1 life extension

Platform Edge doors are in, partially. There's a study above, but the total budget reads as though 270M is earmarked, well short of what's needed for the whole system, but it suggests implementation may be in the offing at select stations. (1.01B unfunded)

Operating Budget is here:
Nothing on the additional Flexities front?

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Capital is more interesting:
1576272821670.png

Looks like Y+B expenditures will peak starting 2024/5 (so we're still 5 years away from truly serious construction)

The bright side - it is fully funded:

1576273607906.png

Additional streetcars are unfunded:

1576273587186.png

Platform screen doors have partial funding - majority remain unfunded:

1576273636004.png

AoD

Last edited:

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
Operating budget is a downer, virtually no money for real service improvement in 2020.

In point of fact there is money for modestly more service, but it will be burned off by 'schedule reliability' improvements, which is largely code for scheduling vehicles to idle at the terminals for several minutes, and not for actual frequency improvement.

I have come to really dislike the current TTC CEO who seems to loathe accountability and always looks for the easy route, at the expense of the TTC rider. But that's just my take.

Last edited:

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
Second set of eyes required............

But after a careful read I have come to a conclusion.

None of the City Building Fund (the Mayor's proposed tax hike) appears to be allocated in the capital budget.

If that is the case, expect a raft of funding announcements shortly.

But others can double-check me........

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

None of the City Building Fund (the Mayor's proposed tax hike) appears to be allocated in the capital budget.

I did not see it in their Budget and had not expected to. Presumably the CITY will allocate this new Fund to x and y from various 'approved but unfunded' items in several departmental budgets once it is actually approved by Council and I doubt the TTC were able to assume that they would get any of it (if, in fact, they even knew about it - the Tory proposal was only announced last week.)

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The TTC is the LEAST subsidized transit agency in North America. The TTC gets 68.0% from the farebox, the rest is a subsidy from the city. Montreal gets 46%, Mississauga gets 46%, New York City gets 47% from the farebox.

If the TTC gets little in subsidy, it has to increase the fares.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Ran into enforcers on 2 lines yesterday and the first time seeing 2 on different routes on cars the same day.

Got talking to one enforcers who was standing by a fare machine out of service and a standard thing these days. Got around talking about machines out of service since I saw 2 types at Kipling earlier. One was out of service for mechanical reason with a notice posted on it saying that. The other said out of service.

The enforcer said there is nothing wrong with the machines that say out of service, it had to due that the machine is full of money/tokens to take anymore. Does this mean the box that holds the money and tokens are too small or not clean out daily? One reason why TTC loose fare money if this is true.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TTC Board approves 2020 budgets with enhanced services

December 16, 2019

The TTC's Board today approved the 2020 operating and capital budget that protects recent service improvements while adding 128,000 hours of new service, funds a new anti-racism strategy and boosts revenue protection measures.

Service enhancements include hiring 121 operators to increase service on 25 surface routes across the city, new anti-racism training, improvements in the Wheel-Trans call-centre to reduce wait times and 50 new staff to reduce fare evasion.

Services protected in the budget include the two-hour hop-on, hop-off transfer and kids ride free programs and more subway, bus and streetcar service.

In developing the $2.14 billion operating budget for conventional and Wheel-Trans services, the TTC found $31.6 million in efficiencies and offsets without impacting service. The budget calls for an additional $27 million subsidy from the City of Toronto and another $26.4 million in revenue protection and cost recovery. A 10 cent per ride increase on all fares except adult cash, which remains at $3.25, raises another $31.4 million. The fare increase comes into effect on March 1, 2020.

The Board also approved the TTC's $7.4 billion 2020-2029 capital budget that invests in longer term projects to reduce crowding, keep the system in a state of good repair, improve accessibility and increase capacity at Bloor-Yonge Station.

While the TTC has authority on matters related to fare policy, the budgets still go to full City Council for final approval.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

The City-Building fund isn't yet council approved and therefor is not yet official city policy. Once it's past council I imagine it will be allocated out and a lot more TTC capital projects will get money.

Last edited:

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Ran into enforcers on 2 lines yesterday and the first time seeing 2 on different routes on cars the same day.

Got talking to one enforcers who was standing by a fare machine out of service and a standard thing these days. Got around talking about machines out of service since I saw 2 types at Kipling earlier. One was out of service for mechanical reason with a notice posted on it saying that. The other said out of service.

The enforcer said there is nothing wrong with the machines that say out of service, it had to due that the machine is full of money/tokens to take anymore. Does this mean the box that holds the money and tokens are too small or not clean out daily? One reason why TTC loose fare money if this is true.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TTC Board approves 2020 budgets with enhanced services

December 16, 2019

The TTC's Board today approved the 2020 operating and capital budget that protects recent service improvements while adding 128,000 hours of new service, funds a new anti-racism strategy and boosts revenue protection measures.

Service enhancements include hiring 121 operators to increase service on 25 surface routes across the city, new anti-racism training, improvements in the Wheel-Trans call-centre to reduce wait times and 50 new staff to reduce fare evasion.

Services protected in the budget include the two-hour hop-on, hop-off transfer and kids ride free programs and more subway, bus and streetcar service.

In developing the $2.14 billion operating budget for conventional and Wheel-Trans services, the TTC found $31.6 million in efficiencies and offsets without impacting service. The budget calls for an additional $27 million subsidy from the City of Toronto and another $26.4 million in revenue protection and cost recovery. A 10 cent per ride increase on all fares except adult cash, which remains at $3.25, raises another $31.4 million. The fare increase comes into effect on March 1, 2020.

The Board also approved the TTC's $7.4 billion 2020-2029 capital budget that invests in longer term projects to reduce crowding, keep the system in a state of good repair, improve accessibility and increase capacity at Bloor-Yonge Station.

While the TTC has authority on matters related to fare policy, the budgets still go to full City Council for final approval.
They don't want to pay someone to empty the machines of tokens and coins, even if it is simple procedure to do it.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The City-Building fund isn't yet council approved and therefor is not yet official city policy. Once it's past council I imagine it will be allocated out and a lot more TTC capital projects will get money.
This is what TTC is saying since this is from TTC in the first place.