News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 946     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Good video, and colour me impressed because I had no idea there was a subway line in San Juan, PR (Tren Urbano). Also Miami's subway was more extensive than I thought, which is on top of their somewhat extensive people mover/monorail.

Fatal stabbing at Kennedy Station last night, the SRT shut down and Line 2 terminated at Warden. Brad Ross tweeted that all service reopened at 8am after police completed their work.

Not sure if this is the right thread to air this grievance, but what's the deal with some of the buses (I think Orion). They're just. So. Rattly. As soon as a driver gets it up to 40 it's a series of absolutely jarring and deafening k-chung, k-chung, bang-bang. Is this a known issue for TTC and one to be resolved with fleet retirement. Or at least putting in some rubber or foam between panels. Obviously our roads are in pretty bad shape and catchbasins can be a bit sunken, all a problem unto itself. But the noise and shaking on some bus rides can cause shell shock and feel like can be resolved.

Not sure if this is the right thread to air this grievance, but what's the deal with some of the buses (I think Orion). They're just. So. Rattly. As soon as a driver gets it up to 40 it's a series of absolutely jarring and deafening k-chung, k-chung, bang-bang. Is this a known issue for TTC and one to be resolved with fleet retirement. Or at least putting in some rubber or foam between panels. Obviously our roads are in pretty bad shape and catchbasins can be a bit sunken, all a problem unto itself. But the noise and shaking on some bus rides can cause shell shock and feel like can be resolved.
Orion made good buses until the VII NGs. Those things are awful to ride on, though, the novas can be pretty bad as well.
Seconded. The one thing the Orions do have going for them is a somewhat decent ride quality (and more comfortable seats than the Novas).

At least the TTC novas have a back-door piston that doesn't deafen you. The GRT Novas have the absolute worst door release system out there.

I'll take all the rattling all day long, especially over the patchy/inconsistent air conditioning, and the air leaks around the rear door that all the Novas suffer from.

Keep in mind that the Orions are older buses compared to the Novas, and as buses age rattling becomes pretty much a regular thing. I guarantee you the Novas will have the same "rattly", "k-chung", "bang-bang" issues after 5-6 years on the road.

Feel like I can fix it for them. Just give me an hour, a torx bit, and old flip flops. I'll just start shoving them between panels, which seems to be where all the noise is from. Doesn't seem to be biggies like suspension or engine mounts, which I'm sure get regularly overhauled. It all seems to be interior and minor fixes, imo at least.

Fatal stabbing at Kennedy Station last night, the SRT shut down and Line 2 terminated at Warden. Brad Ross tweeted that all service reopened at 8am after police completed their work.
I was on Line 2 westbound from Bathurst when it was announced on the subway cars....except *no-one* in the car I was in could hear or understand WTF the announcement was about.

I'm getting just a little tired of the TTC's endless barrage of 'safety' announcements "if you see or hear something suspicious..."....yeah, there's something suspicious alright...in an emergency no-one would have a clue of WTF is going on since no-one can hear the announcements! How suspicious does it have to get for the TTC to notice, let alone do anything about it?

Anyhow, later I found out the announcement was that service between Kennedy and Warden was suspended. Meantime the announcement on the Invasion From Mars, the nuclear annihilation of Pango, Pango, and Mother Marples losing her syrup remains unintelligible and unheard by the great commuting masses...not that many would know or care anyway, they're too busy standing like morons in the doorways blocking people getting on or off.

God help the passengers in the next subway emergency.

Last edited:
Feel like I can fix it for them. Just give me an hour, a torx bit, and old flip flops. I'll just start shoving them between panels, which seems to be where all the noise is from. Doesn't seem to be biggies like suspension or engine mounts, which I'm sure get regularly overhauled. It all seems to be interior and minor fixes, imo at least.
Yeah...it seems the art of 'flex coupling' and 'rubber stand-offs' are lost on a lot of modern bus builders. The worst, the absolute worst, are the Alexander-Dennis DD GO buses. The latest ones, since they've taken them so low, have next to zero suspension travel, as well as rattle like hell, and quite often hit the skid-plate under the front part of the chassis as ground clearance is so bad. Even large cracks in the road can bottom them out.

The MCIs are Cadillacs compared to the A-D haulage trucks.

I was on Line 2 westbound from Bathurst when it was announced on the subway cars....except *no-one* in the car I was in could hear or understand WTF the announcement was about.

I'm getting just a little tired of the TTC's endless barrage of 'safety' announcements "if you see or hear something suspicious..."....yeah, there's something suspicious alright...in an emergency no-one would have a clue of WTF is going on since no-one can hear the announcements! How suspicious does it have to get for the TTC to notice, let alone do anything about it?

Anyhow, later I found out the announcement was that service between Kennedy and Warden was suspended. Meantime the announcement on the Invasion From Mars, the nuclear annihilation of Pango, Pango, and Mother Marples losing her syrup remains unintelligible and unheard by the great commuting masses...not that many would know or care anyway, they're too busy standing like morons in the doorways blocking people getting on or off.

Not just that, but the ThisIsWhere campaign seems ineffective, especially given that much of the tunnels neither have Wi-Fi nor cellular connection. Freedom Mobile's cellular connections are limited.

Similar to this does Toronto prioritize paving along the +10 min bus routes? (or paving at all?)

TTC is absolute garbage at ensuring clear, audible public announcements on the trains - but they apparently take safety seriously.

AoD

Similar to this does Toronto prioritize paving along the +10 min bus routes? (or paving at all?)
Toronto basis it's road reconstruction on how much money they can allocate to infrastructure projects, and which roads need upgrading most urgently.

If it did prioritize it by bus route, Dufferin would have been reconstructed 10 years ago, not today.

TTC is absolute garbage at ensuring clear, audible public announcements on the trains - but they apparently take safety seriously.

AoD
We can always ask CEO Rick Leary what the status is on the upgrades for the subway's communications system...oh wait he doesn't really communicate with the public.

AoD
Often, the train announcements sound very garbled and spoken too quickly.

It would be great if the announcements were slower and repeated at least twice in succession.

Back